Massive Fantasy Sale On Oldies.com

street singer

Strange. They say $4.99 per shipment + $1.99 per item to UK and Sweden. I ordered a fairly large number of Collectables CDs from them a couple of years ago when they had a sale, and the shipping amount was reasonable. It must be the summation that goes wrong?

Yes, seems so. Came out well over 10x what it should be so goodness knows what they've done with it. It's at times like this that you need a US mailing address. ;)

I hope no-one from over this side of the pond has been unfortunate enough to pull the trigger without checking the total !

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered 9 titles. The sale is on until supplies run out. Let's hope some of these are not already out of stock - I'll be curious to see the feedback in the next week or so to see if anything did not ship. I know some of the ones I ordered are OOP.

I have of course a list of more things for possible future purchases :)

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I just put in an order and it showed the correct shipping amount all the way through. Perhaps you should try again? There may have been some temporary glitch.

Sadly, still the same error. Not to worry - there's nothing here I can't live without, on CD. It'll be interesting to see how many of these ship.

Edited by sidewinder

I ordered all I dared to order from the Fantasy warehouse sale and stopped after 9 titles having pared down a list that was easily 3 times that size.

Some below the radar titles I saw that I'd recommend:

John Wright - Mr. Soul

Jon Eardley - From Hollywood To New York

Jon Eardley - The Jon Eardley Seven

I just sent an email to Concord asking to cancel my order of three weeks ago. Haven't heard one word of confirmation, it's still listed on the site as "in process," and most of what I wanted I can get from the Oldies sale for even less. Quite frustrating!

I just sent an email to Concord asking to cancel my order of three weeks ago. Haven't heard one word of confirmation, it's still listed on the site as "in process," and most of what I wanted I can get from the Oldies sale for even less. Quite frustrating!

Hah! Heard back from them within hours: "Hello. Your order has been Canceled."

Now I can buy more from Oldies.

Just placed my first order in the Oldies.com sale for the following:

OJC 1737 The Chicago Sound by Wilbur Ware Quintet (CD) $4.98

OJC 18622 Curtis Fuller With Red Garland by Curtis Fuller / Red Garland (CD) $4.98

OJC 17552 Evidence by Steve Lacy (CD) $4.98

OJC 625 The Fabulous Thad Jones by Thad Jones (CD) $4.98

PRS 241202 In A Minor Groove by Dorothy Ashby (CD) $5.98

OJC 1913 The Jaki Byard Experience by Jaki Byard (CD) $4.98

PRS 110162 Moanin' Blues by Bobby Timmons Trio (CD) $4.98

OJC 1876 Mr. Soul by John Wright Trio (Jazz) (CD) $5.98

OJC 431 New Ideas by Don Ellis (CD) $4.98

OJC 1924 New Jazz Frontiers From Washington by The JFK Quintet (CD) $4.98

OJC 1867 Relativity by Walt Dickerson (CD) $4.98

FAN 235 Thelonious Himself by Thelonious Monk (CD) $6.98

CON 3505 Vol. 1: The Trio by Hampton Hawes (CD) $5.98

FAN 7020 WorkTime by Sonny Rollins (CD) $5.98

Total: $75.72

I'm a little confused about that John Wright title. Oldies.com describes it as a "new release," and indicates that the label is Concord, but the Concord site only lists this--along with Wright's "South Side Soul"--as available as individual MP3 track downoads or as an "MP3 Album." Wonder what Oldies.com is selling--could it be a CDR of MP3s?

Edited by Ron S

I'm a little confused about that John Wright title. Oldies.com describes it as a "new release," and indicates that the label is Concord, but the Concord site only lists this--along with Wright's "South Side Soul"--as available as individual MP3 track downoads or as an "MP3 Album." Wonder what Oldies.com is selling--could it be a CDR of MP3s?

I think what's going on is that the discounted discs are either going out of "physical" print or are older different masterings/packaging than what they now prefer to sell. (This is a long-winded way of saying they're discounting K2s of things that surely won't go out of print, though Chuck will probably scold me for such a foolish assumption :).) I think I recognize a number of titles as part of the digital only catalog that were part of the $2.98 blow out sale of 2 (or 3?) years ago but aren't part of the oldies.com sale.

I ordered only a few items on the oldies.com promotion. Mainly because I had to buy 4 new tires but also because I liked the "stock up" incentives on the original Concord blow out (30+ cds = $2.98/cd) and the recent Concord (buy 10 get 1 free plus that 20% discount code). So at oldies I bought the Stitt box, Swingin with Pee Wee (this is the one I really want) and Geri Allen's Life of a Song SACD.

Is the Stitt's Bits box a complete rendering of these sessions or just a compilation of material from them? I've been waiting to jump on the individual CDs but if I can get everything for $5, seems like a no-brainer.

I'm pretty darned certain it's complete. Sound is great for this material too. Go for it, brainless.

I just ordered the Stitt - too good a price to pass up; going to wait on anything else for now.

I also finally received my 2nd Concord order (from 12 June) today. This one took forever to get here, but is complete.

It did contain the Gil Evans SACD and This is Criss, for anyone still curious.

Is the Stitt's Bits box a complete rendering of these sessions or just a compilation of material from them? I've been waiting to jump on the individual CDs but if I can get everything for $5, seems like a no-brainer.

I'm pretty darned certain it's complete. Sound is great for this material too. Go for it, brainless.

I can confirm what Lon said!

Also, J&R is still having their $6.99 blowout on just about anything you can't find at Oldies or Concord, and the selection also includes Blue Notes & Verves as well.

My Oldies order status shows: Order Currently Being Processed.

But right above the item list is shows: Waiting for Back Ordered Products.

And beneath each item is shows: Special Order Item.

When I ordered all items showed available to ship in 1 - 3 days.

I didn't really order anything that obscure, nothing OOP as far as I know. We'll see what happens.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Interesting. My order also shows this. Two exceptions are titles that I found outside of the sale, Joanne Brackeen's Invitation and Randy Weston's African Cookbook. For these, there is no mention of Special Order Item. Maybe SOI only denotes that the items were part of the Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale. Patience.