Upcoming Lucky Thompson Select tracklisting

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I avoid those Proper boxes because they always seem to miss some tracks ... I hate that. I got their Kenny Clarke box and had to hold on to myself to not throw it into a corner .... must be hard to take a look into some discographies. But some OJCs were missing additional material, too. Oh well ....

Pujol at least knows the music and completes sessions when he knows about the missing tracks, that's what I really appreciate.

Whoever gets the Bags/Lucky twofer first, please report - I won't be able to place an order with Fresh Sound before late November. My local retailer can get them, but only at substantially higher prices than the barcelona outlet, even when considering postage fees.

will stick with all the individual CD's

Yes, all of these albums have been on cd.

Of course, and I expect the Fresh Sound box to be copied from the Denons, but the scattered release pattern of the Savoys with the Lucky tracks spread over four albums is a drag!

I avoid those Proper boxes because they always seem to miss some tracks ... I hate that. I got their Kenny Clarke box and had to hold on to myself to not throw it into a corner .... must be hard to take a look into some discographies. But some OJCs were missing additional material, too. Oh well ....

Pujol at least knows the music and completes sessions when he knows about the missing tracks, that's what I really appreciate.

Whoever gets the Bags/Lucky twofer first, please report - I won't be able to place an order with Fresh Sound before late November. My local retailer can get them, but only at substantially higher prices than the barcelona outlet, even when considering postage fees.

will stick with all the individual CD's

Yes, all of these albums have been on cd.

Of course, and I expect the Fresh Sound box to be copied from the Denons, but the scattered release pattern of the Savoys with the Lucky tracks spread over four albums is a drag!

Ballads and Blues is an Atlantic album. I have a Japanese mini lp version.

Not sure they actually outright steal (copy from the Denons). I think they rather revert to vinyl or some other sources (those mysterious reels Pujol has amassed over the years, he mentioned them in some interview also discussed here) - or else his CDs would sound better.

It is my understanding that remasterings are protected independently of when the music was recorded and of the music being in public domain already or not. And as it is my understanding that Pujol is kind of shady but likely just about on the legal side of the divide, I'm not expecting him to just copy the Denon (and Atlantic) CDs.

Ballads and Blues is an Atlantic album. I have a Japanese mini lp version.

As is Plenty, Plenty Soul, from which the last session is taken. With the Atlantics at least you got all tracks of a session (except for unissued lost material) on one disc, where Denon reissued the Savoy LPs one-to-one - late 1940's material and 1950's sessions with and without Lucky mixed together - four albums to get all the Lucky tracks, CDs using only half the potential playing time. I hate that.

When I think of all the time, energy, and social skills I've wasted over the years reaching out to people - many of whom I've never even seen, much less smelled or shared liquid nourishment with - for various materials so I could make my own sets instead of just sitting on my fat ass and waiting for the opportunity to pay Jordi Pujol to do it for me, I kinda tear up inside.

I mean, I had to be nice to people and make deals and shit like that. Do you have any idea how...unnatural that was for me?

Damn you Jordi Pujol, you've rendered my life meaningless.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On May 6, 2013 at 4:05:05 PM, J.A.W. said:

I'll ask Scott about the planned Lucky Thompson set.

I wonder if a Lucky Thompson big box is permanently off the Mosaic radar. Now that Mosaic's angle is often that of "Classic Sessions," a cherry-picked Thompson box would be most welcome.

On May 6, 2013 at 3:00:10 PM, Fer Urbina said:

Worth watching again.