JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Tapscott] mentions (p 115) an unreleased/unfinished album: "We recorded The Giant Is Awakened and part of another album that I never finished" - wonder if those tapes are extant or were they erased?

Would be nice if they could be added to the original LP if they do still exist.

That's an exciting prospect. I didn't know about this unfinished album. I wonder if it's related at all to the "Birth of The New Cool" project. I seem to recall that Tapscott had wanted different musicians for that session with Sonny Criss (— a session that still sounds great to me). Imagine Arthur Blythe in that setting!

At any rate, I really hope The Giant Is Awakened sees reissue. Though I've lived with the music for some time now, it'd be great to hear this recording with the JLH treatment. As with the other IP reissues, I'll purchase a copy on Day One. I haven't heard a note of the Steig, but I'm purchasing a copy of this one too.

isn't there a much later live recording of Birth of the New Cool with Blythe in Criss place? (was on some bft here iirc)... and (yes, i mentioned that before) there are apparently loads of unissued tapscott at the ucla library (including more recordings by the band who recorded Giant is Awakened)

114030952.jpg

and mine looks like this. BYG

would love it on CD not least as my vinyl was so badly pressed off centre (BYG trait?) it was unplayable (seller did refund). Would love to hear what it really sounds like

edit: to change ridiculously large image

Edited by mjazzg

I've listened to Extension about 4 times now, and I agree with the person who posted that it rewards patient listening. It sounded pretty "loungy" the first time through, partly because of the organ, which is probably my least favorite instrument. But repeated listenings reveals depth to the arrangements and some interesting voicings. I hear echoes of Evans, but Fischer had his own style, based on this one piece of evidence. It's also interesting because the music draws me in, but I feel an emotional distance from it, some sense of remove. I think aspects of the recording, especially "Canto Africano", mark it as a period piece. And I take points off for the organ. But overall, I like it and I'm glad I bought it.

[Tapscott] mentions (p 115) an unreleased/unfinished album: "We recorded The Giant Is Awakened and part of another album that I never finished" - wonder if those tapes are extant or were they erased?

Would be nice if they could be added to the original LP if they do still exist.

That's an exciting prospect. I didn't know about this unfinished album. I wonder if it's related at all to the "Birth of The New Cool" project. I seem to recall that Tapscott had wanted different musicians for that session with Sonny Criss (— a session that still sounds great to me). Imagine Arthur Blythe in that setting!

At any rate, I really hope The Giant Is Awakened sees reissue. Though I've lived with the music for some time now, it'd be great to hear this recording with the JLH treatment. As with the other IP reissues, I'll purchase a copy on Day One. I haven't heard a note of the Steig, but I'm purchasing a copy of this one too.

isn't there a much later live recording of Birth of the New Cool with Blythe in Criss place? (was on some bft here iirc)... and (yes, i mentioned that before) there are apparently loads of unissued tapscott at the ucla library (including more recordings by the band who recorded Giant is Awakened)

From the UCLA library site:

The Tapscott Archive includes both sound recordings and musical manuscripts documenting the life and work of Horace Tapscott, and the music of the Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra (P.A.P.A.) and the Union of God's Musicians and Artists Ascension (UGMAA). The recordings include radio interviews, airchecks, concert tours, rehearsals, club dats, studio recording sessions, and performances at educational and other locations with PAPA, UGMAA and Tapscott's various small jazz groups. The music collection includes original compositions and arrangements by Tapscott, and arrangements for other composers.

114030952.jpg

and mine looks like this. BYG

would love it on CD not least as my vinyl was so badly pressed off centre (BYG trait?) it was unplayable (seller did refund). Would love to hear what it really sounds like

edit: to change ridiculously large image

Oh god, the BYG Savoy series. Were they pressed even worse than the Actuels? Maybe...

I thought P-Vine did the Mtume on CD a while ago, but I could be wrong!

Wasn't AECO doing CDs of their productions at some point? I thought Kabalaba and the Malachi Favors were reissued, but my mind could be playing tricks on me.

Re: Land of the Blacks, no...they did release a bunch of Strata East stuff of course, but not that one unfortunately.

You're right that AECO released some of that old stuff, but the Jarman wasn't one of them for some reason.

Hm. Yeah, that Mtume LP is almost always hammered when I see it. Hence, it's never entered my collection. I've heard it and it's a really neat record.

Who's handling the AECO label catalog now? I saw they reissued one of Roscoe's Sackville albums, which seemed odd but I suppose he owns the material. Not sure how Sackville handled that kind of thing.

Hm. Yeah, that Mtume LP is almost always hammered when I see it. Hence, it's never entered my collection. I've heard it and it's a really neat record.

Who's handling the AECO label catalog now? I saw they reissued one of Roscoe's Sackville albums, which seemed odd but I suppose he owns the material. Not sure how Sackville handled that kind of thing.

I think Chuck mentioned on another thread that Sackville returned the tapes to Mitchell because they had a print-through problem or something like that.

It would be fantastic if someone could put some of that Tapscott stuff out. Mosaic seems a stretch, but maybe something more like those big Sun Ra box sets.

totally agree

A small amount of this has been released on the audio CD that comes with Steven Isoardi's text "The Dark Tree - Jazz & The Community Arts in Los Angeles"

I presume that's where the material for this CD came from?

should be easy to check with the listing here:

http://findaid.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt187019m6/dsc/#c02-1.2.8.2.2

(don't have the book with me but glancing at the listing i guess the last session on the cd is not from there but the rest is), putting all this music out would definitely be something of an overkill but there must be some interesting and some great stuff in between (for a rather random example Item 26 in Box 76 has a 1964 quartet with Tapscott and Blythe playing Golden Pearl which was later recorded on Sonny's Dream, Item 1 in Box 20 apparently features a "supergroup" including Carter, Bradford, Blythe, Tapscott, Wilber Morris and Stanley Crouch...)(there are also some tapes of the Carter/Bradford quartet in there)

Yeah, I've heard it too and I love it... haven't been able to find a copy for under $150 or so though. Too rich for my blood!

I am sure it has been said before, but I would love to see a single cd of Jackie McLean's "Hipnosis". I know it is on the Moncur Mosaic, but this one is really a Jackie date and deserves to be out under his name.

Maybe it will happen under the newly revived Blue Note under Don Was?

I don't mean to jump the gun too much on discussing the Carter-Bradford quartet, but: Has anyone noticed or discussed the similarity of the Close Encounters of Third Kind "theme" to CB's terrific "Encounters"? Can't merely be coincidence, sorry. Obviously this is for the Coincidence or Quote/Tribute threads or both, feel free to move. Cheers

Update: I searched this and found it discussed on an old blog ~2008. Hmmmm.

But here, however, is a true coincidence: While building a rather random drag and drop playlist on my iPhone, I blindly added Jimmy Lyons' Wee Sneezawee right in behind Mode For Joe. Now that is freaky. For the Quote/Tribute thread.

Edited by AmirBagachelles

should be easy to check with the listing here:

http://findaid.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt187019m6/dsc/#c02-1.2.8.2.2

(don't have the book with me but glancing at the listing i guess the last session on the cd is not from there but the rest is), putting all this music out would definitely be something of an overkill but there must be some interesting and some great stuff in between (for a rather random example Item 26 in Box 76 has a 1964 quartet with Tapscott and Blythe playing Golden Pearl which was later recorded on Sonny's Dream, Item 1 in Box 20 apparently features a "supergroup" including Carter, Bradford, Blythe, Tapscott, Wilber Morris and Stanley Crouch...)(there are also some tapes of the Carter/Bradford quartet in there)

Oh the OAC. They've done great things.

I think Chuck mentioned on another thread that Sackville returned the tapes to Mitchell because they had a print-through problem or something like that.

Aha. Yeah, the AECO/Tizona reissue is what I was thinking of.

• 1 month later...

I answered the query the other day on the latest but somehow I don't see my answer here. Next on the line up is Jeremy Steig Flute Fever. I just transferred it at Sony in NYC and it sounds wonderful. And the songs won't be heavily edited as had to be done for the vinyl. Sound is far far better than the vinyl. Somehow in going from three track masters to two track to vinyl they lost a lot of the excitement and warmth. Anyway, that is next. I am also currently reprinting Dogon A.D. which sold out and I've had too much request for it. So reprinting that. Next will be the Flying Dutchman material -- Carter Bradford and Giant Awakens.

Edited by JLH