Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton Play The Blues

JSngry

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually pretty funny - Wynton and Clapton playing New Orleans jazz. Listen to how Wynton tries to play around with rhythm at the beginning of his solo around the 2 minute point, and then ends up losing the swing completely. As for what Clapton plays...no comment. :D

Ice Cream

Shoot me for saying this, but I keep expecting Wynton to punctuate his solos with shouts of "Hey, Lordy Mama," like some guy in a straw hat and suspenders at the Red Garter.

This is actually pretty funny - Wynton and Clapton playing New Orleans jazz. Listen to how Wynton tries to play around with rhythm at the beginning of his solo around the 2 minute point, and then ends up losing the swing completely. As for what Clapton plays...no comment. :D

Ice Cream

Shoot me for saying this, but I keep expecting Wynton to punctuate his solos with shouts of "Hey, Lordy Mama," like some guy in a straw hat and suspenders at the Red Garter.

:lol:

Interesting that Clapton is playing different guitars here than his usual Strat.

He seems to pull out some other beauties on special occasions (like the ES-350TN that he played at his appearance with Chuck Berry on "Hail, Hail..."). The other guitar (besides the 335) pictured on the tray card looks like a gem... an early 50's single pickup L5CESN? I'll be looking for more Youtube clips, just for that alone. :cool:

I may be ill or weird, but I'd like to hear this. I'm just willing to give it a chance.

I listened to Layla on Youtube yesterday, and... meh. I'm not sure Clapton should be playing while sitting down. ^_^

I don't have anything against Clapton or Wynton , I like Cream , but the clips sound bloated ,cavernous and about as far from the blues as I can imagine. I won't be buying.

I've always liked Cream's Disraeli Gears album and a few of their non-blues numbers on other albums, but I never cared for their interpretations of blues songs, especially the stuff with Clapton's stretched solos. No thanks.

Edited by J.A.W.

I've enjoyed Wynton's collaborations with Willie Nelson...

Yeah, it was OK...but Willie and the Wheel rocked my boat harder.

Eric's done shit that totally rocked my boat (mostly but not entirely a long time ago)and a lot that's totally snoozeling, so I'm not expecting much here.

Yeah, they play Layla to death on the radio, but I'll still take it over Free Bird or Stairway any day.

Cream had some extremely good songs; the first Bluesbreaker recording was extremely influential; the early Yardbirds had a huge impact on the emerging rock/blues scene, and I listen to and like a lot of that; personally I feel that whole movement was a very positive thing in that it helped refresh the whole blues scene, which was growing stale. Though the work of Bloomfield with Butterfield, and of both Butterfield and Bloomfield afterwards. was pretty damned brilliant in its own right; and a lot of guitarists went past Clapton's work, from Hendrix to James Williamson and on. At least that's the way I hear it.

I can understand that. I'm just coming from a different place.

Well, I have heard a ton of blues guitar, live and on record. From my concert experiences, I would say that Clapton has been bested by Son Seals, Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, Albert King, Lonnie Brooks, Luther Allison, R.W. Burnside, Joe Louis Walker, Bob Margolin, and several others. I saw Muddy Waters live, although he was not playing much guitar then.

But Clapton is not incompetent. Some of his live recordings from the 1970s are quite intense, and not without some imagination within the blues soloing tradition. He has some chops too, to be fair to him. I like some of his recordings in the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s, too. He has championed old blues in recent years on recordings, when he could have just retired or played commercialized stuff.

To say that Clapton is a nothing musician, or that his only good music was in the 1960s, is not a fair characterization of his recordings up to the present, I think.

Clapton is not one of my great favorites. I would not "fight" for him like I would if someone was stupidly saying that Lester Bowie couldn't play, for example. But he is not as lightweight as some of those on this thread have implied, in my humble opinion.

I think that Clapton was poorly served by this collaboration. My impression is that he held back to be able to fit in with Wynton, but it just did not work.

What I find incredible about this collaboration is that we have all had to listen to, and read, Wynton Marsalis scornfully blasting one musician after another over the years for diluting their music away from the purest form of jazz (by his definition), and for collaborating with commercialized artists. Now he's doing it, and not very well, either. So has he abandoned all of his strongly held principles?

I used to hope that Wynton would abandon those judgmental ideas and loosen up a little. But I thought that if he did so, that he would play well and that it would at least be more musically interesting and have some energy to it.

Edited by Hot Ptah