Toshiba Japan Blue Note LT Series Reissues

etherbored

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of crazy that some of these are seeing release as single CD's unto themselves (like Donald Byrd's "The Creeper" - which is on the Byrd/Adams Mosaic) -- whereas a few dates like Larry Young's "Contrasts" and Sam Rivers' "A New Conception" (BN albums released back in the day, nearly contemporaneous to when they were recorded) STILL haven't ever been issued as single CD's unto themselves (not even in Japan) -- or at least not that I'm aware of.

I'd still LOVE to get a copy of "Contrasts" on CD, by itself (though I do own the Larry Young Mosaic). (It's the only released BN date with Tyrone Washington that's not yet seen release on a CD by itself.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Kind of crazy that some of these are seeing release as single CD's unto themselves (like Donald Byrd's "The Creeper" - which is on the Byrd/Adams Mosaic) -- whereas a few dates like Larry Young's "Contrasts" and Sam Rivers' "A New Conception" (BN albums released back in the day, nearly contemporaneous to when they were recorded) STILL haven't ever been issued as single CD's unto themselves (not even in Japan) -- or at least not that I'm aware of.

I'd still LOVE to get a copy of "Contrasts" on CD, by itself (though I do own the Larry Young Mosaic). (It's the only released BN date with Tyrone Washington that's not yet seen release on a CD by itself.)

If I remember correctly Sam Rivers' A New Conception was available for a short while in Japan as a bonus CD with the purchase of a number of other CDs in the "Blue Note Works" series.

Interesting to see Donald Byrd's "The Creeper" being offered - for the first time on CD (outside of the Mosaic).

From 1967, with Pepper Adams and Sonny Red on the front line, and Chick Corea(!), Miroslav Vitous, and Mickey Roker in the rhythm section.

Even includes a couple of Chick's tunes, "Samba Yantra" and Chico San".

Yeah, I'm quite fond of that one.

I saw a vinyl copy of that Tom Cat album yesterday but I already have the 45rpm reissue from Music Matters so there was no reason to pick it up. I did buy a sealed copy of Morgan's Taru from the LT series. It had been sitting on the shelf of this store for many years. I believe they bought it when it was new. I was always suspicious of these titles when I didn't know any better but once I started buying and listening to some of the titles I realised my mistake. Taru may not be as good as Tomn Cat but it's still worth owning.

• 4 weeks later...

What's the best place to acquire these? Amazon has them for $22.82.

There's a link to HMV Japan in post #2 and they're also available from CDJapan at 999 yen or about $10 each, plus shipping.

CD Japan is certainly the way to go - have been buying from them for a few years now -> a bit better than HMV Japan price wise (shipping more expensive with HMV)

• 2 weeks later...

the TOCJ-50271 issue of 'sonic boom' collects 6 of 13 tracks that the north american issue contains. it costs 999 yen, which is $12.78 or EUR 10.40 by an exact bank exchange rate (which a consumer rarely gets unless they're trading in larger amounts of currency) plus shipping (which at a minimum would be $5.00), bringing a total minimum investment to around $18.00 (obviously less if one orders in a quantity that reduces the per unit shipping average). the domestic issue is available for under $10.50 including shipping.

herein lies the bane of collector, no? oh, but those covers.... so let us know that okazaki remaster is.

link which popped up when I scanned the UPC on the mini-OBI strip ...

http://www.emimusic.jp/jazz/bnlt/index_j.htm

I do believe several of these have never been available as a single CD (i.e. the only way to procure them was through a Mosaic set) - a couple of the Turrentines come to mind - Ain't No Way and Mr. Natural.

Edited by Eric