miles65

Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

1,084 posts in this topic

That has happened before several times ... I guess they stumble over another few dozen copies of a box they assume had sold out and just put it back up for a moment.

I stroke lucky with the Herman Capitol box that way.

Though I really wish the Art Hodes and the Commodores and the studio Roulette Basie would turn up again :crazy:

Thanks to jeffcrom and Alex for your advice. I will think it over....quickly!

I agree - valued advice. After much thought, I've just ordered the Bechet set.

MG

The Ellington Newport 58 is back..

Get it while you can.

The Ellington Newport 58 is back..

Get it while you can.

Advice taken. I've just snagged a copy and also gone for the Cohn/Newman/Green, Bechet and Pendulum Selects whilst they are still around.

I'm playing my Cohn/Newman/Green right now ... also had to get the Pendulum on top of that, was good on the rest.

The Ellington single is nice, but I still wouldn't want to miss the expanded edition of the actual concert as a companion!

Oh, and as usual I even posted in the that announced to the world that the Basie Verve box was running low, so everything's okay ;)

Did you get much out of the Basie box? It was too much of an OK thing for me, just a few key tracks which get lost in the mix a bit - to me and in my way of working.

Yes, I enjoy some of it very much. I think Roulette Basie is overall a bit more to my liking, but the early sessions with Quinichette are mighty enjoyable and the band with Gus Johnson might have been the best edition of the NT band ever ... so, yes indeed!

But the eight CDs do have some sameness and I'd probablly not want to listen to it all in one day.

Just put on disc one while I cook! Could do without the alt takes but otherwise pretty good. I guess smaller doses are the answer...

I have done so as well, plus the suddenly back Onzy!

Thanks to jeffcrom and Alex for your advice. I will think it over....quickly!

I agree - valued advice. After much thought, I've just ordered the Bechet set.

MG

I wonder if they regret not licensing the Young/Basie for longer or for more sets. That was twice now come back on Last Chance but it disappears in a heartbeat. One of the few sets maybe that doesn't just sit quietly in a warehouse accumulating dust?

Just received Cohn/Newman/Green, Bechet and Pendulum; I am playin Pendulum that I have ner heard of; simply stunning!

Alex

Just received Cohn/Newman/Green, Bechet and Pendulum; I am playin Pendulum that I have ner heard of; simply stunning!

Alex

So you got the same ones from the whole list that I got ... only played the former myself, but the Lieb/Beirach was already a huge and pleasant surprise, and I also recently got hold of the ECM LP of "Lookout Farm" ... I guess I just love that period of Liebman's work!

Alex

I agree. I received Pendulum 10 days ago and it's and excellent set which never seems to get much notice.

Alex

Good to hear, I added Pendulum to my small order.

I'm hovering by the post-box for these 3 Selects like a puppy waiting for the master's paper !

I'm hovering by the post-box for these 3 Selects like a puppy waiting for the master's paper !

Nipper, hope the analogy does fully realise itself. Mosaic deserves to survive !

'Pendulum' Mosaic Select now on Last Chance..

Question re the Paul Chambers Mosaic Select: I have the 1987 Bass On Top and the Paul Chambers Quintet Connoisseur releases. Is the sound on the Mosaic Select appreciably better?

Glad to be on the safe side for once ... time to grab all those Selects you still want, I assume.

For anyone who doesn't already have them, the Paul Chambers ($14.49) and Andrew Hill ($8.99!!!) sets are both available for download on Amazon as part of the Capitol Vaults Jazz Series. There are several other Mosaic Selects available as well, including Don Pullen ($12.49), Dexter Gordon ($10.49), John Patton ($14.49), Randy Weston ($18.99), Art Pepper ($17.99), Bobby Hutcherson ($15.49), Bennie Green ($17.49) and Bud Shank/Bob Cooper ($23.99). The series also includes the full-length Bobby Hackett ($39.99), Gene Krupa/Harry James ($66.49) and Joe Pass ($42.49) sets.

EDIT: Without looking up the other OOP sets, it's also worth noting that the Carmell Jones set is available for $15.49.

Edited by Justin V

Is that heart palpitations I'm feeling??!!! :rfr

By total coincidence -- last week, when I pre-ordered the Woody Shaw Muse box, I also ordered a "safety" copy of the Hill BN Select -- which is the very first time I've ever done anything like that (at least with a Mosaic). Truth is, I can't imagine ever accidentially bungling my only copy of this material (and being able to survive without it).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

well, the good thing about Selects is they're no good to use as drawing boards for kids in the back of the car :P

Looks like I'll have to stick an order in for the Mulligan and the McCoy.. :unsure: