• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kind of on the fence about the Hutcherson set - any opinions?

Like it a lot - it gets played a lot (and I have pretty well all of it on vinyl, which reflects well on the sound quality of the Select). Wouldn't want to be without it - but then again I'm a big time fan of Booby. Good way to get hold of the rare 'Inner Glow' session too.

Hill Select, Dizzy Box and Hutcherson Select. All 'must haves' in my book. :)

Edited by sidewinder

I'm also a big (Blue Note) Hutcherson fan. I bought two 70s Hutchersons on BNLA999 reissues, one of which is not on the Select (the live album with Woody Shaw). Frankly, I'm more interested in next month's Head On SHM. I've downloaded FLACs of the Select and in the end only got the studio album with Woody Shaw on it.

Edited by erwbol

I'd put the Johnny Mercer in the same category as the Bobby Hackett. Jazz quotient not that great but an interesting, enjoyable listen in the best tradition of Mosaic and some fine musicianship. The Capitol studio sound is good too.

I've listened to the Hackett in full a few times on Spotify and like what I heard - it's going to be an order from me I think (last minute trigger push no doubt).

Edited by sidewinder

Thanks for the 'Booby' input. His 60's stuff is 'must-have' for sure, but the clips on the site didn't bowl me over.

On a side note, I see him at SFJazz events periodically and he seems quite frail - always has his oxygen with him. The plus side is, he has a string of performances scheduled there for next week, so he must be doing OK overall.

Let me be the one to say. . . I really like the Hutcherson. And I've bought every one of the new reissues available of this material, they sound a bit better. But it's good stuff. . .took me a bit at first to get into this material (pre-Select) but I got into it. . .really got into it.