Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't be able to label Roach's "Brown Sugar" "good stuff". Boring stuff might be a better descriptor.

Isn't that practically the only organ date Joe Henderson ever recorded on? The only soul-jazz organ date, in any case (iirc).

2 others I can think of right now, Larry Young's Unity for Blue Note and Joe Henderson meets Kankawa for some Japanese label.

• 3 weeks later...

Great news. Dig This has catalogue number TYCJ-81100 which suggests at least 50 more titles!

I've updated the list on to include the new titles.

Maybe I've missed something, but the post on page 1 where albums with previously unissued tracks were indiciated has disappeared. Is this information easily found elsewhere, as well as a complete list of the whole series?

EDIT: I've answered my own questions by searching for the UCCQ and TYCJ prefixes at hmv.co.jp.

Edited by Daniel A

Great news. Dig This has catalogue number TYCJ-81100 which suggests at least 50 more titles!

I've updated the list on to include the new titles.

Maybe I've missed something, but the post on page 1 where albums with previously unissued tracks were indiciated has disappeared. Is this information easily found elsewhere, as well as a complete list of the whole series?

EDIT: I've answered my own questions by searching for the UCCQ and TYCJ prefixes at hmv.co.jp.

I put the list up again at

At CD Japan it is easy to navigate to any CD's product page if you know/suspect what the product code is (TOCJ, UCCQ, etc).

www cdjapan.co.jp/product/TYCJ-81001

www cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCCQ-5080

etc.

Edited by erwbol

I seem to have passed that age... the age where my hearing is simply not acute enough to hear the major differences between these SHM-CDs and their older counterparts. I'm kinda bummed out right now. I bought a bunch of these discs and compared them to my old CD versions and I have not had one "sit up and take notice" moment.

I really have to think about staying out of strict audio discussions on line. I just can't hear the differences that well any more.

... but then again, perhaps you and I can settle in and just listen to music and not the mastering differences.

A positive spin. Nice thinking.

In the last five years or so, I've taken to wearing earplugs in situations where the decibel level is higher, and at a sustained high, than I'm accustomed to. This includes somewhat silly situations — like the lawnmower or the leaf blower. Certainly whenever I go to a show that isn't classical or jazz. Might be a placebo effect, but it does seem to help with ear fatigue. Gradual hearing loss, of course, is inevitable.

A question for those who may know — is hearing loss ever reversible?

===========

But back to the thread topic — I've begun to really enjoy the sonic signature of this series. If they're a little too loud at times, they make up for it in soundstage depth (and I simply turn the volume down). I like the Blue Note Works TOCJ series for its vinyl-like qualities, and the TYCJ and UCCQ series for their fine-tuned "digital" qualities. Digital can, and often does, sound good.

I hope this series hasn't reached its end at 180 titles.

Most hearing loss is irreversible, I'm afraid. BTW, in this neighborhood most people (including me) are wearing hearing protectors when using their lawnmowers. Or, those who haven't invested in those silent robotic lawnmowers that do everything without human "assistance"; all too popular around here. Anyway, wearing hearing protectors should not make anyone feel awkward.

Returning to the subject, I placed my first order for a couple of SHM CD:s yesterday.

Edited by Daniel A

I seem to have passed that age... the age where my hearing is simply not acute enough to hear the major differences between these SHM-CDs and their older counterparts. I'm kinda bummed out right now. I bought a bunch of these discs and compared them to my old CD versions and I have not had one "sit up and take notice" moment.

I really have to think about staying out of strict audio discussions on line. I just can't hear the differences that well any more.

I'm in the same boat, so I never buy just for a "sonic upgrade". Saves me money, & I still enjoy the music I have.

A year and a month after the release of the SHM-CD. Probably same mastering?

Good question. Hard to say exactly. Sometimes CD Japan lists what year the remaster comes from, but not here ... at least yet?

=============

There's a boatload of "low-priced" reissues coming out December 3rd!

This one (coming out in November) shouldn't be missed:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/XQAM-1635

(Though of course not Blue Note nor an SHM-CD. The prefix XQAM, while not originating from Japan, is from a legit label — SSJ — out of Taiwan. Their JR Monterose reissues are spectacular.)

• 3 weeks later...