Verve Singles Boxed Set????

Announced for November 1 release on amazon.de - will stop by the Thames & Hudson booth on the Frankfurt Book Fair tomorrow and see I they already have a copy of the book.

Looks very interesting. I wonder how much of this stuff has been released before. ..I would HOPE that most of it hasn't... :)

From what I remember from the Verve discography, many were edited versions of LP takes. There may be a handful that never was on LP, but I don't have the book on hand to check.

FWIW, the amazon.de site has a track list: click here

Judging from this list, it is not a complete set of all singles - e.g. Tjader had a few more, but the included only "Soul Sauce", of course.

I had no idea that Tony Bennett did two albums for "MGM Verve" after leaving Columbia. Shows you how much I cared then (and then kept on caring). One's with Don Costa, and so much "eh" for that, but the other one is with Robert Farnon? I might have to go looking for that one?

I had no idea that Tony Bennett did two albums for "MGM Verve" after leaving Columbia. Shows you how much I cared then (and then kept on caring). One's with Don Costa, and so much "eh" for that, but the other one is with Robert Farnon? I might have to go looking for that one?

"Tony Bennett: The Complete Collection" has three discs from MGM/Verve:

"The Good Things in Life" with Robert Farnon and His Orchestra

"'Listen Easy' featuring 'Tell Her It's Snowing'" arranged and conducted by Don Costa

"Tony Bennett's Greatest Hits Volume 7" which appears to be made up of singles.

All are listed as "Tony Bennett Enterpise Productions" but I can't tell if that was original, or whether that was added for the box. My guess is that Tony was freelancing at the time before he started his Improv label.

Don't think these albums are available on cd anywhere else. Leastwise, I haven't seen them. Might be some old LP copies around, though.

gregmo

Wow, that's $400.00! Don't think I care that much!

And apparently there was a Columbia album with Farnon as well, With Love. Amazon offers it as MP3. But not the MGM Verve album.

I did some checking, and there's LPs of both for sale on the internets, just not at prices I want. so now they're on "the list", things to start looking for casually, and to pick up when a good deal shows up.

Announced for November 1 release on amazon.de - will stop by the Thames & Hudson booth on the Frankfurt Book Fair tomorrow and see If they already have a copy of the book.

They did have four copies ... a rather nice book with lots of photos, many of which were unknown to me. It covers the story of Norman Granz and the label and its importance for the documentation of jazz.

I thumbed through it and since US and British publishers are allowed to sell their books at the end of the fair to spare them the freight costs back home, my wife an I meditated about getting a copy on our way back at the end of our visit. When we returned four hours later, only one copy was left! They usually keep that as a reference copy til the very end on Sunday, but were so nice to sell it to us at half price .... so you can imagine what's my bedside reading right now ... :smirk:

41hyesU-DPL._SX385_.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...