Mingus Workshops 1964-65

This is a no-brainer for me. Mingus is in my top favorite 5 jazz artists. I may have a small bit of this already, and probably a bootleg of a different concert from one of the European tours. The timing (and shelf space) may be a bit of an issue, but I'll definitely order it. Am also glad that the lobbying worked.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very much looking forward to this - just this past week I've picked up some of the remaining titles I've missed (including that "... And Friends In Concert" - the one with Gene Ammons - like to here some opinions on THAT! -and an earlier Savoy session), so this is very timely for me. But... as has been brought up above, not sure what the criteria for this set is, there are a lot of "Jazz Workshop" performances from that period not included - that's fine, but wonder how the music here was chosen? (I just picked up the "Right Now" CD, recorded at the same time - wouldn't something like that fit in?) (And whatever happened to Jane Getz?)

Which makes the Mosaic statement "only one was released on an authorized cd" not exactly right. . . . And that also infers that the Monterey cd from Japan was not legitimate.

I don't care. I'm glad the set is coming out!

One of my first ever CD purchases was the "Mingus at Monterey" CD (Prestige/Carrere 98.480, AAD) issued by Prestige/Carrere in France; totally legitimate I assume.

mingusmonterey1.jpgmingusmonterey2.jpg

This Mosaic release looks awesome!

Edited by Alexandros

Which makes the Mosaic statement "only one was released on an authorized cd" not exactly right. . . . And that also infers that the Monterey cd from Japan was not legitimate.

One of my first ever CD purchases was the "Mingus at Monterey" CD (Prestige/Carrere 98.480, AAD) issued by Prestige/Carrere in France; totally legitimate I assume.

i purchased the Mingus at Monterey LP from Mingus!!!! and it's signed as well. a treasure.

My Favorite Quintet is OK, but a major anticlimax after Town Hall since it's a much less adventurous group, and Hillyer isn't a particularly compelling player, IMO (actually, that's my kind and gentle version). I'm most interested in the extra tracks from Town Hall.

I have a Japanese Fantasy cd of it. Same type face but different view of Monterey Bay on the cover! (At least I presume that it's Monterey Bay.)

It did come out of the blue in comparison to other Mosaic sets which have been announced earlier on in the process. Earlier in the year Sue Mingus had been querying fans about how to release some new material, whether as downloads, a small or a large box set. Most respondents wanted the most material as possible, on disc, and several of us suggested a Mosaic set. Now months later. . . here's a Mosaic set. I would be very surprised if there were not a connection! What I think happened: Michael Cuscuna got together with Sue and began preparing a box set, for Mosaic or through another channel, and it turns out Mosaic won the opportunity.

Edited by jazzbo

The Japanese edition used the original lp artwork. The predominantly blue cover is from the Fantasy reissue.

87125.jpg

My copy has the Fantasy cover, but the LPs have Charles Mingus Presents labels. And nobody signed anything.

How's that for nobody's child?

"Mingus referred to Tijuana Moods and Let My Children Hear Music as the best records he ever made."

And he was wrong both times!

Just 2 more mergers and we'll get the complete Mingus on Atlantic, RCA, Columbia, Impulse, United Artists & Mercury in a single box set.

Valerie, you forgot to chide me for dissing Lonnie Hillyer.

Edited by Pete C

I don't know Pete, a case could be made that Mingus was right! It's all personal opinion, and if Mingus felt these were the best he made, well for him they were. They're damned fine records! I'd throw East Coasting in there as one of his best commercial recordings.

Well, 1957 "Tijuana Moods" might have been his best record, but when it finally came out, it had been overtaken by several others. I bet they got that Mingus quote from the time they decided that - oooooh, this is waaaaaay too advanced for the moronic backward-headed auience, let's keep it in the cupboard for five years first, m'kay?

The Japanese edition used the original lp artwork. The predominantly blue cover is from the Fantasy reissue.

87125.jpg

My copy has the Fantasy cover, but the LPs have Charles Mingus Presents labels. And nobody signed anything.

How's that for nobody's child?

Mine's an America Records pressing from France, with the blue cover. Not particularly exciting pressing-wise, and I'll be sure to buy the Mosaic as well.

It's rare that an artist of any sort doesn't say that whatever new piece s/he's currently promoting isn't his/her "best."

Seriously, when has anyone ever said, "Yeah, this new one's okay, but it's not as good as the one I did twenty years ago when I was in my prime."

"Mingus referred to Tijuana Moods and Let My Children Hear Music as the best records he ever made."

And he was wrong both times!

Just 2 more mergers and we'll get the complete Mingus on Atlantic, RCA, Columbia, Impulse, United Artists & Mercury in a single box set.

Valerie, you forgot to chide me for dissing Lonnie Hillyer.

i have a very vague recollection of this. i think, whatever you said, probably many folks would agree with you.

Edited by ValerieB