Charlie Haden R.I.P.

ghost of miles

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emerging in a period when so many players seemed preoccupied with bringing the "new music" to the bass--and this is no slight on other greats like Peacock, Grimes, and LaFaro, for three--Haden always struck me as an anachronism, bringing the bass to the music.

This is the very best description of what Charlie Haden did. Surely that's why Ornette loved him. A lot of Charlie's playing was pure Wilbur Ware, and he admitted it.

Re Chuck's comment -- Charlie was some interesting guys but I don't believe he was evil, like Getz and some other junkies.

Like several of you have said, Charlie Haden was-- along with Eric Dolphy, Ahmad Jamal, Paul Chambers, Andrew Hill, Tony Williams, and Richard Davis-- one of the players that first gripped me early in my jazz listening. For me, it was "Street Woman" off of Science Fiction. The thing he did there was sort of a trademark move of his, that descending, strummy thing, but on first hearing it kind of blew my mind. His playing on "Peace" and "Ramblin'" and "Lonely Woman" and so many others... it expanded my notion of what music could be, really did. He really helped move the ball forward and for that we should all be grateful. Rest well.

I love the (to my knowledge anyway), the uncharacteristic funk playing on one track of Joe Henderson's "The Elements". Then of course the "Old Joe Clark" thing that happens in "Two Folk Songs" on Metheny's "80/81". His playing on Trane's "The Avant Garde".

Edited by CJ Shearn

Bad news. I had been hearing stuff for awhile about him being in bad shape, but still one hates to hear such news.

I was a fan from the Ornette days, then was so pleased to see him find success as solo artist. The Quartet West stuff was often exquisite. The duo album with Metheny...I wish there had been at least one more. The amazing trio of Charlie-Bill Frisell-Ginger Baker. Also, the two Jarrett albums that came out recently--the second very recently--although actually recorded a few years back. So many great appearances on so many projects and such a diversity of artists.

I feel lucky to have seen charlie Haden once in person--and not very long ago. It was Quartet West and curiously Joe Lovano was subbing in for Ernie Watts. It was a great concert.

R.I.P.

Too sad. I recollect seeing him live on four occasions--in a quartet led by Joe Henderson (with Al Foster), with Ornette Coleman, Pat Metheny and Denardo Coleman, in a duet with Paul Bley, and playing Latin boleros with Gonzalo Rubalcaba and Joe Lovano. The same beautiful sound in four very different settings.

hadenfamily-2+1939.jpg

Music was such a big part of Haden's life from the very beginning (that's little Charlie sitting on the piano). He contributed so much to the music, and in so doing shared so much with us. May he rest in peace, and may his music continue to enrich our lives.

Such sad news. We ve been losing many of the last really great ones during a couple of years. Seems to me like the end of a whole era.

And now Charlie Haden. I loved the way he played and his tone, so natural. I´d like to hint to his Soul Note with Enrico Pieranunzi, Billy Higgins and Chet Baker which is (now the more fittingly) titled. "Silence".

Thank you Charlie Haden for your music.

Edited by Balladeer

Such a great shame. A phenonemal musician. He played in so many contexts and was always immediately identifiable. I always admired how he seemingly wore his heart on his sleeve either as a player of great romantic themes, his love of LA and most definitely his political stance without losing any integrity.

I'll be playing 'Ballad of the Fallen' today because it was hearing that album that was my first exposure to his music but also my first real exposure to Jazz - thanks Charlie for that introduction.

It's nice to read tributes like Clifford's that mention he was "super nice" to be with at a time like this. I'd always hoped he was.

Silence....

Edited by mjazzg