The Complete Charlie Parker With Strings

mjzee

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

got them on individual LPs a long time ago, japanese Verve, quite expensive then.

Oh yeah, that cover art was typical for Verve. Strange paintings, and quite short liner notes, not very representative for the music, not like those Ira Gitler or someone of that category would write....

Some of it sounded quite commercially for me, most of all "Temptation", more like Hollywood movie from the 50´s than Bird....

Never really focused on the cover art before. Now all I can see is that Bird appears to be wearing black gloves and has a huge penis!

<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/61123618/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"> </script>

post-158-0-83877100-1431995356_thumb.jpg

This shit is nuts, the second session in particular. The arrangements do things inside themselves that are so fucking dissociative to each other, and Bird just goes ahead and plays perfectly over them. But the more I listen to the innards, the more and more I find myself asking why THAT? To paraquote Jo Stafford, are you sure that was the best choice? I dig Joe Lipman, Como Swings a minor miracle/major triumph, but this is not that (although, reference the end of "Temptation" - a later not purely stings affair, and yeah, ok, that's more like it). And hello Bernie Leighton, sometimes CRUNCH popping up from the inside, totally "inappropriate", but as far as that goes just wtf was the OBJECT of this game, did anybody really figure that out in a way past make some records of Bird with strings and then make some more? Barbecue even on a pop level, this ain't Axel Stordahl writing for Sinatra, that shit held together from beginning to end, THIS stuff makes the sound but not the music.

But still, Bird, FTW, always, even/especially with this stuff.

Also pick up Charlie Parker at Birdland and Cafe Society. As Bird himself says, "we sincerely hope you will enjoy WITHOUT STRINGS Just Friends, April in Paris, Summertime"

Bird is in top form!

51IUvTXBbeL.jpg

Edited by John L

got them on individual LPs a long time ago, japanese Verve, quite expensive then.

Oh yeah, that cover art was typical for Verve. Strange paintings, and quite short liner notes, not very representative for the music, not like those Ira Gitler or someone of that category would write....

Some of it sounded quite commercially for me, most of all "Temptation", more like Hollywood movie from the 50´s than Bird....

The artwork is by David Stone Martin. I'm personally a fan of his covers. More can be seen here"

https://www.google.com/search?q=david+stone+martin+verve&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=2xRfVeWxAY-AygSZz4DoBg&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=952#imgrc=_

Edited by Ed Swinnich

well, that's Mitch Miller ... maybe DSM merged Bird and him there?

5ffde38c1692b1c8bc45b3a534608.jpg

Hey -- in that photo Mitch isn't playing oboe but English horn, right?

One of the better "with strings" jazz albums is this one, with Dick Hyman charts (worked out in collaboration with Flip) played by top NYC freelancers and recorded by RVG:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tenderness-Flip-Phillips-Strings/dp/B000QQTS3I/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1432342759&sr=8-1&keywords=flip+phillips+strings

You can't go wrong with a bit of strings, well, actually the Chet Baker album's not so great!

My Mother-in-law really loves the Parker with strings, I just put on April in Paris on and she's sent. The only other jazz album that works for her is Don Pullen's Ode To Life. I will definitely get this album for the alternative takes.

I suspect my feelings about Wynton Marsalis are a matter of record here, but I'll put Hot House Flowers at or near the top of any "jazz with strings" date where the focus is popular song.

Credit for that goes entirely to Bob Freedman, those arrangements are da' bomb, as they getting older folks used to say.

Freedman writing for Grady Tate