JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

30,272 posts in this topic

R-2869880-1304878122.jpeg.jpg

Toshinori Kondo - Kobe 17.01.95

I've spun this cd twice now since buying it this afternoon. whoa! Incredible. 

3 hours ago, Justin V said:

I've never felt that way about this recording, where the audience provides enthusiastic applause at appropriate times (and deservedly so!).  I think this album was the first I heard with Joe Henderson and Al Foster and I have enjoyed returning to it over the years.  It is musically strong enough to have been released even if the sound quality had been far worse, in my opinion.

I'm not talking about applause. It sounds like it was recorded on a lung cancer ward with all that coughing.

3 hours ago, erwbol said:

I'm not talking about applause. It sounds like it was recorded on a lung cancer ward with all that coughing.

If coughing is concerned my "suffering capabilty" is much (much !!)  lower in classic music concerts .... regarding the Montreal recording believe its simply good having the music available ....

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

If coughing is concerned my "suffering capabilty" is much (much !!)  lower in classic music concerts .... regarding the Montreal recording believe its simply good having the music available ....

A note of warning on the cover would have been appreciated. As it stands I have waisted my money and the local landfill is one piece of plastic richer.

1 hour ago, erwbol said:

... and the local landfill is one piece of plastic richer.

You don't have a local music club that uses LPs for its wll decoration and accepts donations of raw material? ;)

Or how about this? :D (along the lines of the Italian "fazzoletti" glassware)

36596578ha.jpg

Or this (for your better half)? :P

36596580zy.jpg

31 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

36596580zy.jpg

😎 ....

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

😎 ....

Handcrafted in Vienna, BTW. ;)

4 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Handcrafted in Vienna, BTW. ;)

Hahaha :D ....

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

36596578ha.jpg

I have one of these - all are unique, different records ..... I'm glad the music on mine doesn't interest me!

A challenge for any turntable ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now playing:

81fWctGKl0L._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

14 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

I have one of these - all are unique, different records ..... I'm glad the music on mine doesn't interest me!

A challenge for any turntable ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually this one was made by an acquaintance of my office colleague (she was given a couple because she had donated a handful of unwanted LPs as "raw material" :lol:). So it's a strictly homemade affair. But the principle must be known. The girl in Vienna who makes the handbags as shown in the other photograph also has a few bowls in this style among her range of products.

41TV37X3CYL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Nice single-disc compilation of "sideman" recordings that Pepper made for the Japanese Atlas label near the end of his life.

MI0000506025.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Dave Burrell - The Jelly Roll Joys (Gazell)

Posted (edited)

Over the last year or so, I've been digging into Jack Walrath's discography, tracking down more and more of his music.  Phew!  So much good stuff out there!

I suppose most folks associate him with Mingus, still.  But Walrath is a POTENT musician in any context.

R-10866768-1505625771-7358.jpeg.jpg

Jack Walrath & Masters of Suspense - Gut Feelings (Muse, 1991)

This is jazz that artfully integrates a small string ensemble (4 vn, 2 va, 2 vc). 

So many "jazz with strings" records just don't take flight.  This one does. :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

First

41XJWK1KGAL.jpg

And now

1540-1.jpg

I have a faible for Valle, I must admit it. But while the first is really Brazilian, the second is clearly tailored for the US market. On Verve and with English lyrics. Something I deeply dislike in my Brazilian music.