miles65

New Hank Mobley Blue Note Set

159 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Thanks, that had escaped me! Got some of those expanded SHM reissues, but none by Mobley.

Flurin it's not one of the SHM-CD releases, it's an "LT Series" cd release from EMI Japan before the label "moved" to Universal. It was pre-SHM-CD Blue Note.

And they kept the LT covers. Somebody doing god's work there.

Sorry, misread @jazzbo ... but still missed the info on that bonus track (got one each of the Shorters and Larry Youngs in the LT series)

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

And they kept the LT covers. Somebody doing god's work there.

Yes, and they kept a unique mastering sound for this series, more "chunky" than the usual Japanese Blue Note sound of this decade.

Well, the LT Series (and the most of the whole Cuscuna first wave vault products) had a different sound from their origins on LP. That stuff had a different sound than di the Lion/Wolff product. It's been out some many different ways now...but yes, those records DID sound a different way.

Posted (edited)

Right, and the Japanese kept that uniqueness, imo more so than the few that the US released on cd with different covers. I think I have almost every one in that EMI Japan released in that series, it was exciting to see each batch of releases.

Edited by jazzbo

Today’s update from Mosaic:

We have completed the transfer and mastering stage of this 8-CD set. Rudy Van Gelder’s original tapes are uniformly superb and Malcolm Addey has done an exquisite mastering job. Hank and company never sounded better. Lee Morgan, who’s on six of the sessions, is at the top of his game throughout. Billy Higgins drives 9 of the 13 sessions with incessant swing.

Bob Blumenthal has completed his typically insightful and informative liner notes. I’ve amassed a large amount of excellent Francis Wolff photographs from the actual sessions and am in the painful process of choosing want to include and what to drop because of space.

The booklet at designer and printer.  We have a long relationships with individuals instead of corporations and summer vacations are impacting the schedule. Apologies for the delay and we are eyeing a September release.

ooh

I always said no more Mosaics (like I have enough - all the Blue Notes etc) 

but this is Hank