New Hank Mobley Blue Note Set

miles65

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received the e-mail "Mosaic Jazz Gazette" today for the first time in some weeks, and the upcoming Mobley wasn't mentioned. Strange.

Looks like Mosaic's confident enough to press 2,500, no preorder survey required. I'll most likely go for this although, objectively, a lot should depend on the (as yet unknown) quality of remastering.

Edited by T.D.

Looks like there's only one unreleased track: the alternate of Me 'N You.  I have all the rest, so unsure whether I'll be ordering it.  Curious: which sessions do boardmembers think are most in need of remastering?  My CD of Dippin' was one of the earliest BN reissues, but I always thought it sounded fine.  A Caddy For Daddy, not so much.

On 18.2.2019 at 11:44 PM, mjzee said:

Looks like there's only one unreleased track: the alternate of Me 'N You.  I have all the rest, so unsure whether I'll be ordering it. 

Same here ...... and the four LPs with Wynton Kelly - Soul Station, Roll Call, and the two Workouts. - are lost in the gap between this and the 1950's box set.

Of tkese two takes, one was only on a Japamese issue:

Tk 14 Don’t Cry, Just Sigh (alt tk) (omit Spaulding & Greenwich) CD TOCJ 50296

Tk 15 Don’t Cry, Just Sigh (omit Spaulding & Greenwich) LT 1081

but I don't see me buying this set just for two alternates .....

Edited by mikeweil

I'm glad this is coming out (and that Mosaic shows life and is returning to Blue Notes), but I prefer my Blue Note music on individual CD's when I can do them that way, and have all of the Mobley's from that era.  Seems to capture and hold more of the magic for me when I have the original covers, liner notes ,etc.  And I have always thought that Patrick Roques did Reid Miles Blue Note covers even better than Reid Miles did.

1 hour ago, felser said:

I'm glad this is coming out (and that Mosaic shows life and is returning to Blue Notes), but I prefer my Blue Note music on individual CD's when I can do them that way, and have all of the Mobley's from that era.  Seems to capture and hold more of the magic for me when I have the original covers, liner notes ,etc.  And I have always thought that Patrick Roques did Reid Miles Blue Note covers even better than Reid Miles did.

I have to confess I'm the same on every count -- but I too am glad that Mosaic is doing this set -- and maybe more sets like it.

Don't know that I'll buy this one, I'm afraid -- I already have all of it on CD -- including the CD TOCJ 50296 of "Third Season" (from 2012) -- so I've even got that one alternate already on CD too ("Third Season" and "Slice of the Top" are my two all-time favorite Mobley albums -- "Third Season" especially, is really my #1 favorite)

So I'll probably pass.  But if there was some unreleased session in there, that's probably all it would take to get me to bite (I realize, there isn't any such animal in existence even).

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

But if there was some unreleased session in there, that's probably all it would take to get me to bite (I realize, there isn't any such animal in existence even).

Yeah, I own the Jackie McLean for the one (extraordinary) session that never made it to CD otherwise, and the Elvin Jones for the same reason plus one or two other sessions that were on Japanese CD for about 5 minutes.  Also own the individual Blue Note CD's of all the other sessions on those two boxes.

5 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

There may be other Blue Note sets like this in the pipeline.

That’s what I was thinking too - Lee Morgan and Jackie McLean boxes covering a similar period come to mind.

Hard to believe that all those Hank CDs are now OOP or going OOP. Seems like only yesterday that they came out !

Edited by sidewinder

A shock yes, but not sure a good one ... will this sell?

Will other such sets (Morgan, McLean) sell? We've entered the world of amafeghbukspotiapplestreaming-cheapsakity, so who is going to shelve out substantial money for this? I actually may, but more to have it all in one place and hopefully have some large photos and a good new text, but the actual value is pretty low (so would I be more sane in my own consumerist behaviour, I'd definitely skip).

Also: what about the 1960 sessions, why exclude them? Because they'd push this over the threshold for good (11 CD Hank Mobley set, no one would be buying it?)

I bet it would sell as a vinyl set, but then again for that might even be too large as it's planned now ...

I am as surprised as any about this set, I seem to recall that the 50s dates were issued by Mosaic on a general understanding/belief that older dates wouldn't sell as well as individual CD issues issued by BN but that the 60s dates were more than viable as BN product.

It took forever to sell out the 50s date, add in the fact that many of the target market bought these (more than once in many cases) as individual CDs and what kind of market is there for this set?  I can only think that they will produce a smaller amount up front and see how it goes.  It may be capped at the usual 2500 sets but I would bet dollars to donuts that after the initial run is sold out it will sit in back-order hell until they offer a final "pre-order now to be sure to have a copy" run.

I do notice this, they are really pushing the "this is the greatest sound ever on CD" angle:

With all the developments in recent years with analogue to digital converters and hi-res transfers that bring the CD to almost the same quality as analogue LPs, we have returned to the original analogue tapes of these Mobley master tapes in order to make them available like never before. 

"Almost the same quality"? This is not what I was told when I went digital all those years ago. Now we've circled back to LPs are the greatest but CDs can just about match them?

I guess I have most of this stuff in records. Maybe I am alone on this but in the last years I let go the completist attitude I had before. I sold and selling most of the cd box sets that I have in records, I find tiresome go through the alt takes of the same tracks. Overall I will die without owning all the breaths of Mobley or Trane, I tend to think at collectibiles like an answer to the fear of death. I understand collectors and respect them, throughout history they have save treasures of mankind, but for me I just want to enjoy the music, now and then I buy some used records, but most I sit on sofa listening at my collection, not searching new or old stuff, in my free time I mean.

11 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I do notice this, they are really pushing the "this is the greatest sound ever on CD" angle:

With all the developments in recent years with analogue to digital converters and hi-res transfers that bring the CD to almost the same quality as analogue LPs, we have returned to the original analogue tapes of these Mobley master tapes in order to make them available like never before. 

I guess it's the only possible ad for stuff endlessly reissued

Edited by porcy62