Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chuck Nessa

Gerry Teekens RIP

20 posts in this topic

Ted Panken posted about Gerry's passing on Facebook yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear this news.

RIP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad news, which brings back personal memories...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad news. He was very friendly when I e-mailed him for details about some Melvin Rhyne recording dates. I wonder what will become of the Criss Cross label.

R.I.P.

Edited by mikeweil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have really appreciated what he did with the Criss Cross label. Thank you Mr. Teekens. Was he still in charge there? I hope the label continues on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those earlier years left a hopefully lasting legacy of truly great recordings by truly great players. RIP, and well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was in the tradition  of those producers who featured many otherwise forgotten or underrated players at a time when nobody seemed to care for recording them: Warne Marsh, Jimmy Raney, Cedar Walton, Melvin Rhyne, Tad Shull, and so many of the younger generation that deserved attention. Criss Cross and Steeple Chase were the Blue Note and Prestige of their era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Criss Cross and Steeple Chase were the Blue Note and Prestige of their era.

I was thinking that myself about Criss Cross.  Seeing something on that label is an inherent guarantee of quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

He was in the tradition  of those producers who featured many otherwise forgotten or underrated players at a time when nobody seemed to care for recording them: Warne Marsh, Jimmy Raney, Cedar Walton, Melvin Rhyne, Tad Shull, and so many of the younger generation that deserved attention.

51c6hv4ec7L._SY355_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked this with a few people in the Dutch jazz scene who know Gerry and it has not been confirmed. Can't find anything on the 'net either.

[edit] My friend jazz/blues record store owner Sem van Gelder just confirmed it.

Edited by J.A.W.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I very much agree with Mike Weil's comments.

 

71lSwLq55LL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

He was in the tradition  of those producers who featured many otherwise forgotten or underrated players at a time when nobody seemed to care for recording them: Warne Marsh, Jimmy Raney, Cedar Walton, Melvin Rhyne, Tad Shull, and so many of the younger generation that deserved attention. 

And a lot of first opportunities for younger artists who grew to stardom like Brian Lynch and a ton more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

I very much agree with Mike Weil's comments.

 

71lSwLq55LL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

A gem ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teekens should have been knighted alone for this one .... :

Anmerkung-2019-09-16-180604.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Teekens should have been knighted alone for this one .... :

Anmerkung-2019-09-16-180604.jpg

People are not knighted anymore in the Netherlands, they stopped doing that a long time ago :)

I knew Teekens personally, but lost contact with him in the 1970s after a disagreement. That was before he started Criss Cross, he was selling records at music fairs and shows and at Sem van Gelder's dad's pub at the time; I bought a lot of records from him. Feels like a million years ago...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, J.A.W. said:

People are not knighted anymore in the Netherlands, they stopped doing that a long time ago :)

I knew Teekens personally, but lost contact with him in the 1970s after a disagreement. That was before he started Criss Cross, he was selling records at music fairs and shows and at Sem van Gelder's dad's pub at the time; I bought a lot of records from him. Feels like a million years ago...

Metaphorically speaking :D ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad to read this. I was a latecomer to the label. The early recordings for the label were at the very least very good if not great. Thank you Mr. Teekens for all the great music you added to my life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Metaphorically speaking :D ....

Of course, that's why I added a :)

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

very sad to hear this. He used a friend of mine as photographer on some albums. One time GT was stuck for a guitarist, and he asked my friend for a cat in Manhattan for a guitarist for a Ralph Lalamma session. That's how Peter Bernstein got his start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bresna said:

I have really appreciated what he did with the Criss Cross label. Thank you Mr. Teekens. Was he still in charge there? I hope the label continues on.

The last album in the "Criss Cross New Releases" thread was released May 17.  We shall see...

It was produced by Mr. Teekens, so I guess he was still in charge:

61THBD3JEoL._SL1200_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.