Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrjazzman

The Cookers

9 posts in this topic

Saw The Cookers for the 2nd or 3rd time at Yoshi's Oakland last night Thurs 2-20-2020, have all their cd's.  As much as I like these guys, they're starting to look and sound a little tired, worn, weathered but still doing serious touring. Soon will be in the Netherlands.  We all know what Kenny Rogers said, might be time for these guys to "fold em"

I've seen the group 4 times, the most recent being last year, and they've lived up to their name every time.  Heck, the last time I saw them, Billy Harper opened up with a twenty-minute solo and burned the place down.  I'd gladly pay to see any of the members individually or together.

I think I’ve seen the group 3x since I moved to DC almost 9 years ago, and always pretty uniformly excellent each time. Billy in particular has always seemed as good as ever, along with one other time I also saw Billy (sans Cookers) here within the last year, and he played as well as any tenor player I’ve ever heard, two long sets.

I'm planning on seeing the Cookers for the second time on May 2. Billy Harper has never disappointed so far.

Can only comment on Billy Harper...saw him live a couple of years ago. Couldn't believe that Billy was around 75 years old - he looked younger and in better shape than I did at 60 (and I stay in decent physical condition).

Anybody can have an off night (if that's what it was). When in doubt ... just watch Billy Hart. He NEVER disappoints! :g

Will see them in Rotterdam coming March. Can’t wait to see these living legends playing together. Harper is among my very favorite artists, along with Mal and Coltrane.

Billy Harper is fantastic. I´ll never forget the first time I saw him in 1978 with the Max Roach Quartet, and "Peaceful Heart", his great tune. 

7 hours ago, BFrank said:

When in doubt ... just watch Billy Hart. He NEVER disappoints! :g

Billy Hart is a force of nature.