Lennie Niehaus R.I.P.

ghost of miles

I am sorry to hear that sad news. Two recollections I have of Lennie Niehaus. I was a Freshman at Michigan State University when the Stan Kenton Band came to Lansing,MI for a one nighter.I made sure I was there right in front. Lennie was in the band along with Charlie Mariano, Bill Perkins, Sam Noto, Mel Lewis and others I don't recall.

Much more recently (?), I saw Lennie at a Ken Poston jazz event in Los Angeles. Not sure what year, but it had to be roughly 15 years ago.

Always loved Lennie's small group recordings on Contemporary , and his one on Mercury. His 2 Fresh Sound records from 1989 and 1997 were good, but not at the level of the earlier ones on Contemporary

23 hours ago, BillF said:

Read today's Jazzwax for a comprehensive account of Niehaus' contributions to the music.

Thanks for the link. And I already know about Jazzwax. It's usually full of interesting information. Plus I have read a couple of Mark Myers books. I particularly remember Why jazz happened, which analyzes possible inluences on the development of whole branches of jazz. Thus, for example, claiming that the wide network of Californian freeways and the wide landscapes possibly gave birth to West Coast Jazz. A genre I like a lot, though it has often been maligned.