Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cliffpeterson

New Corbett v Dempsey

47 posts in this topic

On the way from DG, can't wait. Still wish he'd chosen an FMP album that has not been twice-reissued, one of them as recently as a few months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there extra music on Three Nails Left? I've got the whole set from that Moers concert and it's pretty fantastic.

The McPhee I will grip, have both Pullen/Graves LPs and the FMP vinyl.

oops, just saw the link -- no extras on the AvS. Sucks, as there's at least another 20 minutes of music, which gets pretty buck wild!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an aside, I pulled out the FMP Quartier Latin CD yesterday, which compiles all of Hidden Peak and 2/3 of 3NL and realized it only runs 56 minutes and could have easily fit the 3rd 3NL track. Jeez! Anticlockwise would've been a better choice for the CvsD release anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Count me in on the McPhee and the Pullen/Graves!  Ordered them and the Beaver Harris CD directly from the label's website.

Edited by felser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the Pullen / Graves from Dusty Groove. On the way, & currently "sold out".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the heads-up.

DG was already sold out of Pullen/Graves, so I ordered that and the McPhee directly from the label.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

As a digression, does anybody know how "Alex Schlippenbach" became "Alexander von Schlippenbach"? When and why did this thoroughly decadent bourgeois transgression occur? Did he face the just opprobrium from the comrades for this?     

Edited by Д.Д.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

As a digression, does anybody know how "Alex Schlippenbach" became "Alexander von Schlippenbach"? When and why did this thoroughly decadent bourgeois transgression occur? Did he face the just opprobrium from the comrades for this?     

An interesting question. Though I am not into Euro-Free, his name is familiar, of course, and as far as I can think back (collecting-wise, i.e. mid-70s) he always was listed and featured as "Alexander von Schlippenbach". Checking line-ups in period record catalogs, this extended even further back - at least back to 1967 (including on the records he made with Manfred Schoof). Always "von" throughout.
His WIkipedia entry does not mention any name change either.
So if his original name actually was without the "von", then this seems to be glossed over these days. Maybe a case of how one would like to present oneself and be seen (and referred to). Maybe a case like "Michelle Rosewoman" - I have my sincere doubts that her ORIGINAL name was "RoseWOman"- which would have been an odd one at any time (though predictably you do not find any references to any name change either).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 30.7.2020 at 10:29 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

An interesting question. Though I am not into Euro-Free, his name is familiar, of course, and as far as I can think back (collecting-wise, i.e. mid-70s) he always was listed and featured as "Alexander von Schlippenbach". Checking line-ups in period record catalogs, this extended even further back - at least back to 1967 (including on the records he made with Manfred Schoof). Always "von" throughout.
His WIkipedia entry does not mention any name change either.
So if his original name actually was without the "von", then this seems to be glossed over these days. Maybe a case of how one would like to present oneself and be seen (and referred to). Maybe a case like "Michelle Rosewoman" - I have my sincere doubts that her ORIGINAL name was "RoseWOman"- which would have been an odd one at any time (though predictably you do not find any references to any name change either).

Alexander von Schlippenbach is his birth name. Although - he does not insist on the "von". He is a member of a big family of former Westphalian nobels but from the impoverished part, as he has put it in a conversation. As he does not attach any importance on the "von" he is often called Alex(ander) Schlippenbach instead of the full name as printed in his passport. For some releases (and articles / interviews) he is referred to as Alex Schlippenbach. So he does not became AvS namewise but always was. Alex Schlippenbach is simply an informal way of addressing him.

Edited by Onxidlib

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about "Hey, Al"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JSngry said:

How about "Hey, Al"?

Here in Philly, that's "Yo, Al".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And in England, "Excuse me, sorry to bother you Al"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, I knew there was an aristocratic connection. I've never really seen his name without the "von." He looks like an aging soap opera star!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Right, I knew there was an aristocratic connection. I've never really seen his name without the "von." He looks like an aging soap opera star!

For me he looks rather like an aging noble but nowadaways a noble and a soap opera star might be compatible . However, he seems to have internalized old courteous habits like f.e. he will stand up if a woman is approaching the table - including a slight bow towards the lady. Saw it with my own eyes when he, Evan Parker, Sebi Tramontana, Paul Lovens and myself had a meal before a concert of the Schlippenbach Trio at Munich's 'Unterfahrt' jazz club.  This and similar habits by AvS do have a natural demeanour which I had the chance to watch several times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Onxidlib said:

 However, he seems to have internalized old courteous habits like f.e. he will stand up if a woman is approaching the table - including a slight bow towards the lady.

You don't mean to tell everybody here this is "old courteous habits"? Isn't this simple politeness? :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

You don't mean to tell everybody here this is "old courteous habits"? Isn't this simple politeness? :mellow:

"old courteous habits" wasn't meant literally. But is wasn't "simple politeness" either. AvS "politeness" is much more formal than usual - let's say "in my view".  Nuff said about this topic ;-)

Edited by Onxidlib

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note this from the DMG newsletter:

“The Incredible CORBETT VS DEMPSEY (CvsD) Label Keeps Dishing out the Finest in Historic and New Recordings from the Cream of Avant-Garde! Thanks to my good pal, Marc Andren, the word is out that there will be NINE new CvsD releases in the next month or so!!! Three every few weeks! The first three will drop shortly and they are listed below, we hope to get them in EARLY NEXT WEEK so please be patient. Future titles will include an unreleased FMP session from Peter Kowald, 2 CD set of early ICP Orchestra from 1966 to 1972 and much more!“

Ken Vandermark posted an interesting picture of copies in hand that included the early ICP comp, Kowald Quintet on FMP, a Phil Wachsmann Bead RE, and Gunter Christmann/Vario release. Very interesting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, colinmce said:

Future titles will include an unreleased FMP session from Peter Kowald, 2 CD set of early ICP Orchestra from 1966 to 1972 and much more!“

Intrigued ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, colinmce said:

Note this from the DMG newsletter:

“The Incredible CORBETT VS DEMPSEY (CvsD) Label Keeps Dishing out the Finest in Historic and New Recordings from the Cream of Avant-Garde! Thanks to my good pal, Marc Andren, the word is out that there will be NINE new CvsD releases in the next month or so!!! Three every few weeks! The first three will drop shortly and they are listed below, we hope to get them in EARLY NEXT WEEK so please be patient. Future titles will include an unreleased FMP session from Peter Kowald, 2 CD set of early ICP Orchestra from 1966 to 1972 and much more!“

Ken Vandermark posted an interesting picture of copies in hand that included the early ICP comp, Kowald Quintet on FMP, a Phil Wachsmann Bead RE, and Gunter Christmann/Vario release. Very interesting!

Nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 0:43 AM, Late said:

Intrigued ...

from what I can tell it's FMP 70 + a bunch of extra music. Perhaps the extras are with Evan Parker, who replaced Peter van der Locht for several live performances.

The Roy Ashbury/Larry Stabbins "Fire Without Bricks" LP on Bead, which is also getting reissued, is very cool as well. The cover art looks quite impressive on LP, hopefully it translates to the "little silver disc."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

from what I can tell it's FMP 70 + a bunch of extra music. Perhaps the extras are with Evan Parker, who replaced Peter van der Locht for several live performances.

The Roy Ashbury/Larry Stabbins "Fire Without Bricks" LP on Bead, which is also getting reissued, is very cool as well. The cover art looks quite impressive on LP, hopefully it translates to the "little silver disc."

Jost Gebers probably has loads of tapes of never-released live stuff.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

from what I can tell it's FMP 70 + a bunch of extra music. Perhaps the extras are with Evan Parker, who replaced Peter van der Locht for several live performances.

The Roy Ashbury/Larry Stabbins "Fire Without Bricks" LP on Bead, which is also getting reissued, is very cool as well. The cover art looks quite impressive on LP, hopefully it translates to the "little silver disc."

Nice to see Bead finally getting some love. Excited to hear that Stabbins LP, which I'm not familiar with. A Groups In Front of People 2fer RE would be awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Bead is one of my favorite labels. Just missing a few.

Yeah. Bought quite a few Beads on TMM festival in Berlin in 2008, all were excellent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.