Some previously unreleased Lennie Tristano *IS* in the works!! (Now, from StaMford)

Just stumbled on this in the SHF's general Mosaic thread (from a post dated March 30, 2021 -- by SHF member J.A.W.)...

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-mosaic-thread-news-and-opinions.667563/page-58#post-26511287

Just heard from Mosaic's Scott Wenzel that the Joe Henderson 1963-1966 is scheduled for release next month (that would be April, unless he meant May, of course :)) Other sets on which they're working include some unreleased Lennie Tristano from his estate, and, as was mentioned before, various artists on the rare 78 label Black & White (1942-7)

Anybody got any more info??  What timeframe is this likely to be from?  Any other speculation? -- or does anyone have an inside scoop to share?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Just stumbled on this in the SHF's general Mosaic thread (from a post dated March 30, 2021 -- by SHF member J.A.W.)...

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-mosaic-thread-news-and-opinions.667563/page-58#post-26511287

Anybody got any more info??  What timeframe is this likely to be from?  Any other speculation? -- or does anyone have an inside scoop to share?

Who is Stanford and why does he have unreleased Tristano?

12 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Who is Stanford and why does he have unreleased Tristano?

Ha!! That's what I get for double-checking the snail-mail address of Mosaic from the actual Mosaic website!!! -- and my cut-n-paste of the misspelling THERE!!!  (And I didn't even notice the error until your pointed it out, Chuck.)

Don't believe me??  Click, and look for yourself...

https://www.mosaicrecords.com/contact/

Mailing address:
425 Fairfield Ave
Suite 421
Stanford, CT 06902

Edited by Rooster_Ties

when I visited the Harlem Jazz Museum back in 2017 I was able to listen to some of the unreleased Savory material - what really piqued my interest was quite a bit of tasty Tristano. Wonder if they'll include any of that.

Any Tristano Mosaic will be a definite for me.

5 hours ago, russes01 said:

Have posted before - but seems worth it to post here: Tristano with accordion - request access when you link - there are several good sides (trio and solo too) happy to share. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EHUB_Lk_dF1-ciCbkAhjxk_McV_0Mn6_/view?usp=drivesdk from acetate - not pristine. 

thanks Russ, have downloaded the WAV file successfully - do we have any details re date, location & musicians. Would be nice to hear more

54 minutes ago, romualdo said:

thanks Russ, have downloaded the WAV file successfully - do we have any details re date, location & musicians. Would be nice to hear more

I found a nice stash of acetates - some air shots others seem like home recordings - in the strangest way. They were listed on Wolfgangs as home recordings. I had been talking to a guy who collects home recordings - so I looked at them to see what the labels said. Lloyd Lifton with Lee Konitz, Lee Konitz, and Lennie Tristano. So I bought everything that had similar handwriting. Probably came from the Jazz Record Mart when the entire inventory went to Wolfgangs. Lee sings on a couple - something you don’t hear elsewhere. I think most likely from the mid 40’s in Chicago. 

17 minutes ago, russes01 said:

I found a nice stash of acetates - some air shots others seem like home recordings - in the strangest way. They were listed on Wolfgangs as home recordings. I had been talking to a guy who collects home recordings - so I looked at them to see what the labels said. Lloyd Lifton with Lee Konitz, Lee Konitz, and Lennie Tristano. So I bought everything that had similar handwriting. Probably came from the Jazz Record Mart when the entire inventory went to Wolfgangs. Lee sings on a couple - something you don’t hear elsewhere. I think most likely from the mid 40’s in Chicago. 

Aladdins Cave indeed !!!

On 8/3/2021 at 3:21 PM, russes01 said:

Have posted before - but seems worth it to post here: Tristano with accordion - request access when you link - there are several good sides (trio and solo too) happy to share. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EHUB_Lk_dF1-ciCbkAhjxk_McV_0Mn6_/view?usp=drivesdk from acetate - not pristine. 

Tristano with accordion.  The mind reels...

Well, I read somewhere that Lennie could play the accordion, and as "Blue Velvet" was recorded in Chicago there could be a connection. However he was most probably in New York at that time. Billy Bauer did mention Lennie liked to drive, but it's unlikely he would make it as far as Chicago in one piece. Still, one never knows ... he was remarkable in many ways. :rolleyes:

I agree the accordion on "Blue Velvet" is very nice - as is the piano.

Gordon Jenkins' started out on the accordion.  When he moved to New York, he took his accordion to the main accordion technician in the city at that time.  Gordon asked if the guy could replace the metal reeds with wooden reeds.  The tech replied, "Then it wouldn't sound like an accordion."  Gordon shot back, "That's the idea."  Gordon said he thought the guy was going to burst into tears then and there.  

Matthews was real flake. He used to leave amplifiers all over the NYC subway system. He was the judge at the annual NY Accordion Association Festival  when I was a kid, and I was part of a jazz group with an accordion player friend of mine. . Before we started playing he yelled out, "Are you guys going to play a little Grand Funk Railroad for us!"

He said something encouraging to me about being on the right road. I thought nothing of it, because I thought he was a drunk or something. I found out who he was years later, and flipped out. A musician friend of mine who was on the scene back in the 50s told me he got in trouble with the mob, because he fooled around with the wrong woman, and also accrued heavy gambling debts, he had to leave NY

19 hours ago, Quasimado said:

Well, I read somewhere that Lennie could play the accordion, and as "Blue Velvet" was recorded in Chicago there could be a connection. However he was most probably in New York at that time. Billy Bauer did mention Lennie liked to drive, but it's unlikely he would make it as far as Chicago in one piece. Still, one never knows ... he was remarkable in many ways. :rolleyes:

I agree the accordion on "Blue Velvet" is very nice - as is the piano.

For the kids who never heard The Moonglows:

4 hours ago, sgcim said:

A musician friend of mine who was on the scene back in the 50s told me he got in trouble with the mob, because he fooled around with the wrong woman, and also accrued heavy gambling debts, he had to leave NY

Watching the Sopranos (only up to Season 2, first time around) & above comment certainly resonates.

Some prime Louis Prima & the Mob/underworld recollections - mentioned in Nick Tosches "Unsung Heroes Of Rock 'n' Roll"

• 1 month later...