Stupid Question Corner

JSngry

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Actually, it was started with the best of itnentions - to provide a forum to ask those "basic" questions that a lot of jazz neophytes (and not so neophyte) might otherwise be too embarassed to ask for fear of being smacked down with the "DUH, you don't know that? Everybody knows that." thing. There had just been an instance or two of people acting ashamed/embarassed to ask what they called a "stupid question", and I thought that was too bad. Hell, if you don't know someting, ask! The only stupid questions are the ones not asked (or not thought through before asking).

Immediately, the thread deteriorated beyond redemption. I'll not delete it, leaving it to stand as a testament to whatever it's a testament to.

I have a serious question. When did higher learning institutions began teaching jazz. Where was the first jazz department formed? I won't ask why, because I have a feeling it is more complex than that.

Don't know if the was the very first, but North Texas was surely among the very first: http://www.jazz.unt.edu/?q=node/119

Immediately, the thread deteriorated beyond redemption. I'll not delete it, leaving it to stand as a testament to whatever it's a testament to.

There is actually some funny stuff back there, and posts by some people that are either no longer around or do not post much anymore.

I give it a :tup, even if it never went the intended direction.

• 5 months later...

No, no. I can tell it was started on the best of intentions. It would have been a good thread, I'm sure.

I have a serious question. When did higher learning institutions began teaching jazz. Where was the first jazz department formed? I won't ask why, because I have a feeling it is more complex than that.

I have a book which is a collection of jazz essays written in the 1970s. I can't remember who wrote it, but it is one of the famous jazz writers. I will try to find it--I have it at home.

In this book, the famous jazz writer specifically writes about this topic. He says that as the 1970s progress, he can literally see and feel jazz slipping away from being a music played by a community of musicians in New York clubs, to a music becoming institutionalized in many university music departments, with the musicians of the New York community drifting away to take these salaried university positions all over the U.S. His take on it was that it was too bad, that something was being lost, more and more each year as the 1970s progress.

How do I teach a 12 week old kitten to use her litter box? Lead by example?

You don't have to train cats, just show her where it is, plop her down in it...she'll take care of the rest.

That's why cats are so awesome...LOW MAINTENANCE!