• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/26/2023 at 3:48 PM, mjazzg said:

Primary

John Tchicai/Archie Shepp - Rufus [Fontana, UK 1966]

This record may be almost 60 years old, but the music sounds as fresh as ever.

On 5/1/2023 at 12:26 AM, Teasing the Korean said:

Morricone/Il Gruppo - The Private Sea of Dreams (RCA Victor, Stereo)

Well, this does differ a bit from the music you usually showcase here.

7 minutes ago, corto maltese said:

The opening track ("Lip Service") would be the perfect soundtrack for the next candlelight dinner hosted by you and Ms TTK.

We played it during dinner!  Linguine with faux white clam sauce, with trumpet mushrooms in the role of the clams!  

So I guess Morricone also wrote Linguine Westerns.

I love Morricone's giallo an crime scores from his classic period, which have some stylistic overlap with this album.

Do you know about the 10-album library set that Morricone and Nicolai did?  All of the music is generally in this vein.

10 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

We played it during dinner!  Linguine with faux white clam sauce, with trumpet mushrooms in the role of the clams!  

So I guess Morricone also wrote Linguine Westerns.

I love Morricone's giallo an crime scores from his classic period, which have some stylistic overlap with this album.

Do you know about the 10-album library set that Morricone and Nicolai did?  All of the music is generally in this vein.

Yes, they were reissued by Dialogo a couple of years ago (LP and CD). A well-made set and an affordable way to have all the music together.

My favourite single release under Morricone's name might be this compilation from 1979 on the General Music label. It's a double album (8 long tracks) focusing on his experimental soundtrack music from the late 60s, including the stunning "Altri Dopo Di Noi" (“La Tenda Rossa”, 1968).

Primary

1 hour ago, corto maltese said:

Yes, they were reissued by Dialogo a couple of years ago (LP and CD). A well-made set and an affordable way to have all the music together.

My favourite single release under Morricone's name might be this compilation from 1979 on the General Music label. It's a double album (8 long tracks) focusing on his experimental soundtrack music from the late 60s, including the stunning "Altri Dopo Di Noi" (“La Tenda Rossa”, 1968).

Primary

Thanks, not familiar with that one.  Are you familiar with the 2-CD Crime and Dissonance compilation?

14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

NTAtOTMzNy5qcGVn.jpeg

French edition.

I think I saw that at my record dealer back in the 70´s. 
I liked Tadd Dameron but was not prepared for Gil Evans in the same manner, so I only bought an individual Tadd Dameron LP with Trane (Mating Call), and a Musidisc LP of Tadd and Fats live at the Roost....

17 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks, not familiar with that one.  Are you familiar with the 2-CD Crime and Dissonance compilation?

Would that be a good starter set TTK? I only really know Morricone from Grupo di Improvviazione and all the greatest hit film scores we all can't help but know

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Would that be a good starter set TTK? I only really know Morricone from Grupo di Improvviazione and all the greatest hit film scores we all can't help but know

If you are looking more for the out/experimental stuff, that compilation provides a good introduction.  You may also like the score to The Cold Eyes of Fear, a.k.a. Gli occhi freddi della paura.  And lots of other stuff to be discussed elsewhere.

Freddie Hubbard - THE BLACK ANGEL

An interesting album, especially if taken in the context of Miles's work in 1969-70. Unlike Miles, Hubbard does not abandon the hard bop all-together, but introduces it into the changing musical landscape. Insightful, perspicacious and succinct liner notes from Ed Williams of WLIB radio. In fact, some of the best liner notes I've ever read. Who was this man?

Ni04OTY4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Edited by Dmitry

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

If you are looking more for the out/experimental stuff, that compilation provides a good introduction.  You may also like the score to The Cold Eyes of Fear, a.k.a. Gli occhi freddi della paura.  And lots of other stuff to be discussed elsewhere.

Thank you. I look forward to more discussion in the new thread

IMG-3860.jpg

oh my this one’s so good. I really hope for all the vinyl haters they are going to do a cd version of this as well (they might as well do that now with the new series on cd don’t they?) 

First volume arrived today of the new series. Will spin that tomorrow morning :)