• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I listend to this one yesterday since I wanted to hear a recorded version of "Daahoud" which is a fine tune to play, I love the key and the changes. 

This is wonderful stuff, that version of "What´s New" and "Lover Man" . 

"April" is played at a very very fast tempo, IMHO a bit too fast.

But it´s sad that the piano is barely audible. It´s clear it is just an amateur recording, but others even from earlier years, even those early Minton´s jams have better recording quality and you hear the piano and the bass. 

From those fragments I could hear from the piano it seems that Bud´s little brother sometimes got his ideas from his big brother, but doesn´t seem to have that unique "touch" that Bud has. And sometimes he sounds more like Elmo Hope. 

Sonny Rollins sometimes is a bit subdued on that album, there are fine examples of good drumming of Max Roach, the drums is quite well recorded . 

But some stuff is just too fast played for comfortable listening and playing. 52´nd street theme IS a fast tune, and I think the way Bird or Bud did it up tempo is very enjoyable, but here it is over fast, so the bassist just cannot play a walking line at that tempo. 

I think George Morrow was a very good bebop bassist. His solo on "Lover Man" is wonderful. 

After Clifford Brown´s death I think he had settled in the L.A. area and became the mentor of a musician, who himself is my mentor.....

Herunterladen (4).jpg

542bfe95fdc73b6b4c831f6289dbf593.jpg?v=1

Resteamed, limited edition 1000. The sleeve is fairly basic but it is indeed in stereo and the sound is A1. Certainly at least as good as the original Columbia mono and might even be better. For clarity of detail, the best I’ve heard. Maybe the old mono might have an edge in terms of ‘atmosphere’, will have to check.

17 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I'm jealous, Gheorghe.  I never got to see Max.  

I thought I hadn’t - but recently came across an old t shirt with the gig lineup on it which confirmed that I had ! It was a Dizzy Gillespie all star tribute at Drew Medical School grounds, South Central LA in the 1990s. I don’t think Max was on stage for too long but not sure. Melba Liston was also there, directing the trombones. The band was full of great names - Billy Mitchell, Billy Root, Lalo Schifrin, Big Black, Al McGibbon, Garnett Brown, Bobby Bryant.

Thinking about it a bit more, pretty sure I saw Max in London at a Charlie Parker tribute in 1980 too.

Edited by sidewinder

Now spinning:

ODYtMTg1Ni53ZWJw.jpeg

Azar Lawrence - Summer Solstice (Prestige, 1975)
with Gerald Hayes (fl), Raul de Souza (tb), Amaury Tristão (g), Albert Dailey (p), Dom Salvador (p), Ron Carter (b), Billy Hart (d), and Guilherme Franco (d, perc)

Craft 180 gram reissue.  Excellent AQ and terrific music that's full of bright moments.

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

542bfe95fdc73b6b4c831f6289dbf593.jpg?v=1

Resteamed, limited edition 1000. The sleeve is fairly basic but it is indeed in stereo and the sound is A1. Certainly at least as good as the original Columbia mono and might even be better. For clarity of detail, the best I’ve heard. Maybe the old mono might have an edge in terms of ‘atmosphere’, will have to check.

Hmm. That looks VERY tempting! ;) 

13 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Leon Levitt -- I think that was his name -- bought my copy of the Stewart Henderson album on JazzTone for a good sum many years ago. Think I took a bath afterwards.

I remember Leon. He bought a bunch of vinyl from me 20+ years ago. This album I have as a CD reissue with a much different cover.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

ODYtMTg1Ni53ZWJw.jpeg

Azar Lawrence - Summer Solstice (Prestige, 1975)
with Gerald Hayes (fl), Raul de Souza (tb), Amaury Tristão (g), Albert Dailey (p), Dom Salvador (p), Ron Carter (b), Billy Hart (d), and Guilherme Franco (d, perc)

Craft 180 gram reissue.  Excellent AQ and terrific music that's full of bright moments.

Hmm, and that looks very interesting...😃

On 5/18/2023 at 1:20 AM, Gheorghe said:

I love it so much and it was a key record for me. Max Roach, together with Philly J.J. and Danny Richmond were my drum heroes when I was a young boy. 

I was so exited when I finally saw Roach live, an event I´ll never forget. It was shortly after I had seen Mingus, had seen Dizzy so I could say then that I had seen at least 3 members of the "Massey Hall Concert" in my early years. 

Roach did a 3/4 version of "Round Midnite", he did "It´s Time" and "Peaceful Heart" and solo "The Drum Waltzes" and "Mr. Hi Hat". 

The next day I bought the record. Mine has another cover than yours. Most stuff sold here in Europe was on that French Label "America"....most of the Mingus albums for example....

For me it was like "Mingus Family" since this Roach album has Cliff Jordan AND Mal Waldron, two musicians I had associated with Mingus since I had them on record with Mingus.

Download.jpg

yeah, the America pressing is what I have as well. Fantastic album.