• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Primary

David Sanborn - Time And The River [Okeh, 2015]

A purchase prompted by @Rabshakeh and my unexplained need for a nostalgic reconnection with some Sanborn.

Whilst it's not going to create many converts, there's some excellent music on this (at least one of the two vocal tunes doesn't fit), very well produced by Marcus Miller in a nice slick and shiny fashion that works very well.  Some of it could almost be by one of the bands in the current London scene who seem to me to have been engaging with fusion a lot recently. The music world keeps turning.

Certainly worth the (reduced) entry fee

Edited by mjazzg

8 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

David Sanborn - Time And The River [Okeh, 2015]

A purchase prompted by @Rabshakeh and my unexplained need for a nostalgic reconnection with some Sanborn.

Whilst it's not going to create many converts, there's some excellent music on this (at least one of the two vocal tunes doesn't fit), very well produced by Marcus Miller in a nice slick and shiny fashion that works very well.  Some of it could almost be by one of the bands in the current London scene who seem to me to have been engaging with fusion a lot recently. The music world keeps turning.

Certainly worth the (reduced) entry fee

Sanborn and Al Jarreau were friends of mine at the University of Iowa in the early '60s.

25 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Sanborn and Al Jarreau were friends of mine at the University of Iowa in the early '60s.

Nice

MOMBASA Tathagata reviews

Mombasa - Tathagata [Wind Records, Germany 1980]

I don't know if this band are generaly well known but they're new to me. Lou Blackburn and Carmell Jones was reason enough to invest the £10. Repaying that investment several fold.

38 minutes ago, bresna said:

Freddie Hubbard - Classics (Fantasy). Only two tunes - one for each side. Side 1 is Red Clay and Side 2 is First Light. Killer band - Freddie has Joe Henderson & Bobby Hutcherson in the front line.

image.jpeg.9e93301c5265b4cfe29e0ffbc6138a14.jpeg

Can’t believe I’ve never seen that one before. What a line up and I love both those tunes so much!

31 minutes ago, Pim said:

Can’t believe I’ve never seen that one before. What a line up and I love both those tunes so much!

Those two tunes -- and others from the same 1981 Keystone Korner gig -- have been released on CD with slightly different titles:

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Keystone Bop: Sunday Night

and

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Keystone Bop: Vol. 2 Friday/Saturday

These two CDs compile three LPs -- A Little Night Music, Keystone Bop, and Freddie Hubbard Classics -- plus one unreleased cut.

However you listen -- vinyl, CD, or whatever -- it's outstanding music.  :) 

Edited by HutchFan

Now spinning... Eddie Higgins - Eddie Higgins (Vee Jay). Mono LP is really nice shape. I thought that these were all trio tracks so I was surprised when I heard a trumpet & tenor on a few of them. I've enjoyed Eddie's Venus CDs for years so I was curious to hear him on an earlier recording. He didn't change much. :)

image.jpeg.28beb31789255639f124213e94c48a0b.jpeg

14 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I have the three LPs, what is the unreleased cut, and on which CD is?

"Round Midnight" is the unreleased cut, and it appears on Vol. 2.  However, I'd forgotten that it's a feature for Joe Henderson.  Neither Hubbard nor Hutcherson play on it.  (See details below.)

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Edited by HutchFan

13 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

"Round Midnight" is the unreleased cut, and it appears on Vol. 2.  However, I'd forgotten that it's a feature for Joe Henderson.  Neither Hubbard nor Hutcherson play on it.  (See details below.)

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Shades of Live in Japan ...

Edited by Mark Stryker

Joanne Brackeen - Ancient Dynasty (Columbia/Tappan Zee). I bought this one when I saw Joe Henderson listed on the back. Henderson, Brackeen, Eddie Gomez & Jack DeJohnette - what could go wrong?

What a great record this is! (so far) Really digging this. This is my first purchase of Brackeen as a leader. I probably would have skipped it if I hadn't had the chance to see/hear her perform as a sub for George Cables at a Javon Jackson show at Scullers back in 2017.

Why hasn't this made it to CD? Is it caught in limbo because of the Tappan Zee label?

image.jpeg.95574f7fdbcd82b4dee9366a2d439a49.jpeg

51 minutes ago, bresna said:

Joanne Brackeen - Ancient Dynasty (Columbia/Tappan Zee). I bought this one when I saw Joe Henderson listed on the back. Henderson, Brackeen, Eddie Gomez & Jack DeJohnette - what could go wrong?

What a great record this is! (so far) Really digging this. This is my first purchase of Brackeen as a leader. I probably would have skipped it if I hadn't had the chance to see/hear her perform as a sub for George Cables at a Javon Jackson show at Scullers back in 2017.

Why hasn't this made it to CD? Is it caught in limbo because of the Tappan Zee label?

image.jpeg.95574f7fdbcd82b4dee9366a2d439a49.jpeg

Yes, isn't it FANTASTIC music!?!?  Brackeen is terribly overlooked, I think.

If you'd like to explore more, I'd strongly recommend Keyed In.  It's the same group -- minus JoeHen:

OS05NDMxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Also released on Tappan Zee.

If I'm not mistaken, Sony controls the rights to these recordings.  So they could be made available again easily -- either by Sony or through a third-party reissue label like Wounded Bird.  I guess folks figure there's not enough demand for this music to bother with reissuing it.  :( 

At least there's still used copies floating around out there.  

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Those two tunes -- and others from the same 1981 Keystone Korner gig -- have been released on CD with slightly different titles:

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Keystone Bop: Sunday Night

and

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Keystone Bop: Vol. 2 Friday/Saturday

These two CDs compile three LPs -- A Little Night Music, Keystone Bop, and Freddie Hubbard Classics -- plus one unreleased cut.

However you listen -- vinyl, CD, or whatever -- it's outstanding music.  :) 

Added them to my Spotify wishlist thanks!

Tappan Zee was a Bob James joint, so maybe that's a complicational factor? 

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

News I can use, thank you!