Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Where was the Bill Hardman discussion on the forum ? 

12 hours ago, optatio said:

I guess it wasn't about Bill Hardman but about Junior Cook  https://www.organissimo.org/forum/topic/90364-junior-cook-in-excelsis/

Yep.  Junior Cook is a sideman on both of those Bill Hardman albums.

4 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Ascent  ASC-1002 - Akiyoshi-Tabackin Big Band " Salted Ginko Nuts" - rec. 1978 - Engineer: Ron Malo

46150271lg.jpg

Excellent.  :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

18 hours ago, kh1958 said:

I found it a bit disappointing on first listen. I need to listen more. The sound is excellent, as on all of Night Dreamer's records.  If you don't have it, I would look for Knoel Scott Live in Alaska, which I bought from him at a posthumous Sun Ra Arkestra concert, as it is quite good.

Thanks for the tip

Now spinning:

NS03NTQ1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Beaver Harris 360° Music Experience - Negcaumongus (Cadence Jazz Records, 1981)
with Beaver Harris (d, comp, ldr); Ken McIntyre (as, ob, fl); Ricky Ford (ts); Hamiet Bluiett (bs); Don Pullen (p); Cameron Brown (b); Francis Haynes (steel d)

Wonderful music & one helluva band.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

So far this morning, two excellent Sonny Fortune LPs:

OS5qcGVn.jpeg

Awakening (A&M Horizon, 1975)

Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

Waves of Dreams (A&M Horizon, 1976)

Great stuff indeed. You’ll find these easily for a few bucks in the second hand bins.

44 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

NS03NTQ1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Beaver Harris 360° Music Experience - Negcaumongus (Cadence Jazz Records, 1981)
with Beaver Harris (d, comp, ldr); Ken McIntyre (as, ob, fl); Ricky Ford (ts); Hamiet Bluiett (bs); Don Pullen (p); Cameron Brown (b); Francis Haynes (steel d)

Wonderful music & one helluva band.

Love the album, as I do nearly all of his

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

So far this morning, two excellent Sonny Fortune LPs:

OS5qcGVn.jpeg

Awakening (A&M Horizon, 1975)

Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

Waves of Dreams (A&M Horizon, 1976)

While I do have a signed copy of "Waves Of Dreams", I wouldn't consider either of these near the top of my Sonny Fortune playlist. They sound rather dated, particularly the electric keys. I really enjoy his later Blue Note recordings much more than these 2. In particular, I think Sonny is a better sax player than a flute player, so "Awakening" rarely sees the turntable.

Edited by bresna

2 minutes ago, bresna said:

While I do have a signed copy of "Waves Of Dreams", I wouldn't consider either of these near the top of my Sonny Fortune playlist. They sound rather dated, particularly the electric keys. I really enjoy his later Blue Note recordings much more than these 2. In particular, I think Sonny is a better sax player than a flute player, so "Awakening" rarely sees the turntable.

Oh wow.  I strongly disagree.  I think Waves of Dreams is Fortune's best record. 

But we all hear things differently, no?  ;) 

14 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Oh wow.  I strongly disagree.  I think Waves of Dreams is Fortune's best record. 

But we all hear things differently, no?  ;) 

It's there for all to hear in YouTube land. :)

And while I do think "Waves Of Dreams" is much better than the "Awakening", it still has a couple of tunes that just didn't click with me.

24 minutes ago, bresna said:

And while I do think "Waves Of Dreams" is much better than the "Awakening", it still has a couple of tunes that just didn't click with me.

That's cool.  We all pursue the music that appeals to our ears.

I happen to enjoy instruments like the Fender Rhodes piano, clavinets, electric basses, or whatever in jazz -- as long as the music is good.  Of course, I wouldn't want to hear it all the time. . .  but that 70s-electric jazz sound -- like on Waves of Dreams -- appeals to me a great deal & doesn't sound dated to me at all.

OTOH, I know there are plenty of folks who have an aversion to any electric instruments.  I can't say that I "get" that, ear-wise.  But I understand that some (maybe even most?) jazz-lovers have that perspective. 

In fact, that's probably why the Blue Note sound from the 50s and 60s continues be most folks' idea of what jazz is "supposed" to sound like.  And that's why BN reissue programs continue -- and why Sonny Fortune LPs from the 70s are available in the used bins for peanuts.

Edited by HutchFan

Waves Of Dreams is gem for me. I took off "Seeing Beyond The Obvious" to play with my group at the time.

I like the electric piano. Very much of it's time, unlike the "retreat" back to conventional instrumentation (and to a certain extent, repertoire).

Having said that, I have been more or less all in on Sonny Fortune over the years. But those Horizon records with Charles Sullivan, that's some real time music right there. 

11 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Waves Of Dreams is gem for me. I took off "Seeing Beyond The Obvious" to play with my group at the time.

I like the electric piano. Very much of it's time, unlike the "retreat" back to conventional instrumentation (and to a certain extent, repertoire).

Having said that, I have been more or less all in on Sonny Fortune over the years. But those Horizon records with Charles Sullivan, that's some real time music right there. 

Have the Horizon lps *ever* been on CD?  Discogs says not.  Shame, but will add "Waves ..." to to "to spin" list.