What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

14 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

There's always more Herbie Mann albums and you never know whether or not they will be excellent, terrible or average.

Yep.  Mann is like Chick Corea in that regard.  They're both prolific, and consistency isn't exactly their forte.  

Edited by HutchFan

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Schlippenbach Quartett - Das Hohe Lied [Po Torch Records, Germany 1991]

I've been rediscovering my collection of Schlippenbach Trio/Quartet albums. A marvellous group.

So good.

1 hour ago, Bill Nelson said:

Mann's 'Stone Flute' (1970) may be his answer to Miles' 'Silent Way'. 

The Mann had an answer to everything.

21 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I agree.  Whenever I listen to it, I'm surprised (again) that BN didn't want to issue it.

Regarding Woody's unissued Blue Note date, the story goes that Alfred Lion recorded several sessions for release on Blue Note but before he could get them out, he sold the business to Liberty. Since the deal did not include these recent dates, they were in some sort of limbo, so Lion gave the masters to the artists. I would think that if the deal didn't happen or if the deal had been structured differently, they would have issued this themselves.

23 minutes ago, bresna said:

Regarding Woody's unissued Blue Note date, the story goes that Alfred Lion recorded several sessions for release on Blue Note but before he could get them out, he sold the business to Liberty. Since the deal did not include these recent dates, they were in some sort of limbo, so Lion gave the masters to the artists. I would think that if the deal didn't happen or if the deal had been structured differently, they would have issued this themselves.

O.K., that makes sense.  Thanks for the insight.  :tup

3 hours ago, Bill Nelson said:

Mann's 'Stone Flute' (1970) may be his answer to Miles' 'Silent Way'. 

With Ron Carter, and regulars Sharrock, Miroslav, and Roy Ayers and cellos and violins.  It's spacey, not beat-driven with radio hit potential.

I saw Herbie's band at The Cellar Door very soon after this was released.  (Early 1970?)

They all pulled out their sheet music to play Waltz for My Son.

20 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

EmArCy [Japan] EXPR-1006 - Herb Geller Sextette - rec. 1955

46487144fi.jpg

"Crazy he Calls me" is a wonderful ballad like all ballads originally sung by Billie Holiday. We play it quite often and it is fine in D-flat, the key Lady Day sung it. 
It seams that it is not played very often. I heard Gary Bartz-Buster Williams-Al Foster do it, but I think they did it in F . 

Mercury Records  195J-44 [Japan]  - Julian 'Cannonball' Adderley " Cannonball's Sharpshoters" - rec. 1958 -

Nice Inlay with an  Julian Adderley discography compiled by  Kioshi  Koyama

46492794mi.jpg

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

"Crazy he Calls me" is a wonderful ballad like all ballads originally sung by Billie Holiday. We play it quite often and it is fine in D-flat, the key Lady Day sung it. 
It seams that it is not played very often. I heard Gary Bartz-Buster Williams-Al Foster do it, but I think they did it in F . 

Have the following versions of that composition:

crazy she calls me    1254    Atlantic (jap)    The Jimmy Giuffre 3
crazy she calls me    3121    Vanguard    Free Wheeling - Ted Brown Sextet
crazy she calls me    45956    RCA Victor (jap)    The Horn`s Full-Jack Montrose Allstars
crazy she calls me    8209    Verve    Very Cool - Lee Konitz

On 10/17/2023 at 1:33 PM, jazzcorner said:

Mercury Records  195J-44 [Japan]  - Julian 'Cannonball' Adderley " Cannonball's Sharpshoters" - rec. 1958 -

Nice Inlay with an  Julian Adderley discography compiled by  Kioshi  Koyama

46492794mi.jpg

Have the following versions of that composition:

crazy she calls me    1254    Atlantic (jap)    The Jimmy Giuffre 3
crazy she calls me    3121    Vanguard    Free Wheeling - Ted Brown Sextet
crazy she calls me    45956    RCA Victor (jap)    The Horn`s Full-Jack Montrose Allstars
crazy she calls me    8209    Verve    Very Cool - Lee Konitz

I would like to add to your collection this one Spontanuity | Allan Praskin Quintet | Allan Praskin (bandcamp.com)

It´s a wonderful version of that ballad and I also have played it with Allan Praskin earlier this year. Here it is in Db as I told you. 
Allan is my favourite alto saxophonist, my idol since 1978 and though I never was a student, his musical advices or just listenig to him on the bandstand is my most beautiful experiences..... 

Edited by Gheorghe

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I would like to add to your collection this one Spontanuity | Allan Praskin Quintet | Allan Praskin (bandcamp.com)

It´s wonderful and I have played it with Allan Praskin earlier this year. Here it is in Db as I told you. 
Allan is my favourite alto saxophonist, my idol since 1978 and though I never was a student, his musical advices or just listenig to him on the bandstand is my most beautiful experiences..... 

Thanks for the recommendation.  Dont have records with Praskin as leader  but have heard his name here and then together with other european recordings.

He is also member in the Vaclav Zahradnik big band from CSSR which I have. But that is all I can remember.

Edited by jazzcorner

22 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

a)  Dont have records with Praskin as leader  but have heard his name here and then together with other european recordings.

b) He is also member in the Vaclav Zahradnik big band from CSSR which I have. But that is all I can remember.

Really ? But since his move to Europe (first Germany, since it was Gunter Hampel who brought him to Europe) he has been one of the most busy jazzmen over here, with enthusiastic write ups in Jazz Podium and other press. 

It would be almost impossible to not have heard his name and seen him play in the most famous jazz venues of Germany, Austria and many many other European countries. 
He was our hero here in Vienna, when he played with the best guys, no one could play bop as well as avantgarde with such dexterity and musical enthusiasm like him. 
And last not least he was the first important jazz man, with whom I had the honour to play and still do on several occasions. And he was one of the best educators, teachin´ jazz at Bruckner conservatorium in Linz.... look out for him he really burns...... look at least at some video stuff on youtube or whereever......

b) I like that you say CSSR. Those were the days when I still could know which country where is, I performed at some jazz festival still in CSSR and other Eastern European countries as well. But I didn´t know that Allan played there.