What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

Interesting I haven't heard Tristano in Masayuki's sound ...only the that of an angle grinder.  Kidding aside his music on "Tread on sure Ground" is very fine. Cinedelic Italy have reissued this on vinyl (Juno, Soundohm etc). Pressing is excellent IMO and way way better than I was expecting. Cool JoJo sounds positively mainstream from the clips I've heard by comparison. 

'Cool JoJo' is mainstream, straight ahead and rather marvellous

27 minutes ago, Pim said:

IMG-5250.jpg

were there any represses without the wobbling piano or am I deaf? Cause I don’t hear it on my LP…

No wobble on mine either

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMG-5255.jpg

so what’s better than a Mal Waldron Quartet? A super quartet! This one’s among their best: Mal Waldron and Steve Lacy playing with a killer rhythm section with Reggie Workman on bass and Eddie Moore on drums. Cheapest copy is 12 euros in Discogs. Sometimes happiness is cheap!

3 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-5255.jpg

so what’s better than a Mal Waldron Quartet? A super quartet! This one’s among their best: Mal Waldron and Steve Lacy playing with a killer rhythm section with Reggie Workman on bass and Eddie Moore on drums. Cheapest copy is 12 euros in Discogs. Sometimes happiness is cheap!

👍

Now spinning:

OS01NzI5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Vasant Rai - Spring Flowers (Vanguard, 1976)

Sarod, Acoustic Guitar, Flute, Tambura – Vasant Rai
Electric Guitar – Dilip Naik
Oboe, French Horn – Paul McCandless
Piano, Bass – Glen Moore
Tabla, Congas, Percussion, Sitar, Electric Bass – Collin Walcott
Violin – Jerry Goodman (4 of 7 cuts)

10 hours ago, porcy62 said:

A Sunday Hutchernoon, as sideman

My kind of afternoon!  :) 

16 minutes ago, bresna said:

Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet - Dusk Fire (Columbia-UK/Jazzman). Last one from the box. I like this one the best. Don't know why but I definitely felt myself listening a lot harder to this one.

image.jpeg.149fac08488bc6b3840ea7b02916205b.jpeg

It is widely regarded as their finest and most mature recording, overall. A key reason I think is that by then, Michael Garrick had hit his compositional stride.

The cover photo is wonderful too.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Let us know what you think!

Great sounding LP, very quiet pressing. I actually loved it. I have definitely never heard the Third Streamish version of All the Things You Are before (Mingus calls it simply All in the intro) It is not another version of All the Things You Could Be By Now If... Comparing (without listening)  the listed times on the Reincarnation CD issue, the Mosaic LP issue and the New LP:

Bugs 

Incarnations: 8:28

Mosaic: 8:26

R&R

Incarnations: 11:51

Reincarnation CD (Take 1):  11:55

Mosaic: 11:48

All: 

Incarnations: 4:51

Reincarnation of a Lovebird

Incarnations (Second version): 7:02

Reincarnation CD (Take 1):  7:02

Mosaic: 6:56

Body and Soul

Incarnations: 10:49

Reincarnation (Take 2): 13:56

Mosaic: 13:46

Edited by kh1958

Gonz (Jerry Bergonzi, Bruce Gertz & Bob Gullotti) - Front End (Not Fat Records). 1988 recording on Gertz's own label and seemingly only released around the Boston area. Gullotti really makes this date go and he is sorely missed around here. I have yet to see The Fringe without Gullotti in the drum chair.

image.jpeg.65c0d2bd3ec23753c2aab409be48f3e2.jpeg

Back on my turntable:

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Stan Kenton - The Comprehensive Kenton (Capitol, 2 LPs)

Lately, I've been listening to quite a bit of Kenton, trying to get a better handle on his body of work.  For me, it's (mostly) unexplored territory.  Just curiosity, I guess, even if I don't feel like I have a all that much natural affinity for Kenton's music.  . . .  But maybe that will come with time and repeated hearings.  Who knows?

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Back on my turntable:

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Stan Kenton - The Comprehensive Kenton (Capitol, 2 LPs)

Lately, I've been listening to quite a bit of Kenton, trying to get a better handle on his body of work.  For me, it's (mostly) unexplored territory.  Just curiosity, I guess, even if I don't feel like I have a all that much natural affinity for Kenton's music.  . . .  But maybe that will come with time and repeated hearings.  Who knows?

It was very much an arranger's, and realizing that is how I finally made my peace with it. "Kenton" was ultimately a brand name, imo. So writers uber alles. 

Also...there came a point where the band begun to be made up of "true believers" as opposed to guys doing the gig. And for my tastes, that made a difference in the spirit of the music.

If Dick Shearer or John Worster are on the record, that's a go. Same with Willie Maiden, Ramon Lopez, or Dee Barton on drums. 

It's a mess, it is, but like any good mess, patience and curiosity are rewarded. 

33 minutes ago, JSngry said:

It was very much an arranger's, and realizing that is how I finally made my peace with it. "Kenton" was ultimately a brand name, imo. So writers uber alles. 

Yeah, that makes complete sense. 

Kenton's reliance on arrangers sort of reminds me of the way arrangers -- like, say, Neal Hefti, Quincy Jones, or Sammy Nestico -- influenced the sound of Basie's New Testament band.  But with Kenton the arrangers are even MORE central & influential.  With Basie, there's a through-line, a sonic consistency, regardless of the arranger.  Basie has his sound on piano and his approach to rhythm.  That signature is always there.  OTOH, with Kenton's band, it seems like the music is much more subject to change, depending on the arranger and/or composer.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Also...there came a point where the band begun to be made up of "true believers" as opposed to guys doing the gig. And for my tastes, that made a difference in the spirit of the music.

If Dick Shearer or John Worster are on the record, that's a go. Same with Willie Maiden, Ramon Lopez, or Dee Barton on drums. 

Interesting that you say that.  The record that prompted this splash-about in the Kenton pool is Live at Brigham Young University from 1971.  It's definitely late-in-the-game "true believer" stuff.  Lots of Willie Maiden (as soloist and arranger). And Ramon Lopez too.

You hipped me to the Redlands University record, and I like that one.  But the BYU album is the one that really grabbed my ear -- especially the Latin-flavored pieces like "Malaga" and "Macumba Suite."

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

It's a mess, it is, but like any good mess, patience and curiosity are rewarded. 

:tup

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

But with Kenton the arrangers are even MORE central & influential. 

I do support that. I came to Kenton via his great 1950s orchestra and the Capitol issues. He himself was also a good arranger:

- Portrais & Sketches of Standards 

- Kenton presents (with Art Pepper)

- New Concepts of Artistry in Rhythm

- Contemporary Concepts and the great

- Showcase (with Holman & Russo arranging)

This period ended with "Back To Balboa" IMO  & I lost him when the 'Neophonic Era' began with the Mellophoniums and that bombastic Wagner Interpretation.

Yes he was a restless searcher as DB printed it.

The recent discovered 1952 Stereo tracks from  The Blue Note Club are again a highlight for me. What a Band with all the later West Coast stars. Among my more than 100 Kenton Items the 1950s are the best sounding Items for me.

Here is something extra

46697073ct.jpg

46697074rb.jpg

46697075dm.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
pictures added

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

I do support that. I came to Kenton via his great 1950s orchestra and the Capitol issues. He himself was also a good arranger:

- Portrais & Sketches of Standards 

- Kenton presents (with Art Pepper)

- New Concepts of Artistry in Rhythm

- Contemporary Concepts and the great

- Showcase (with Holman & Russo arranging)

This period ended with "Back To Balboa" IMO  & I lost him when the 'Neophonic Era' began with the Mellophoniums and that bombastic Wagner Interpretation.

Yes he was a restless searcher as DB printed it.

The recent discovered 1952 Stereo tracks from  The Blue Note Club are again a highlight for me. What a Band with all the later West Coast stars. Among my more than 100 Kenton Items the 1950s are the best sounding Items for me.

Here is something extra

46697073ct.jpg

46697074rb.jpg

46697075dm.jpg

👍Yes, I have the Shearer recording. It's wild and wooly, mostly in a good way. Not as polished as the Kenton Orchestra. 

Listened to this one lately. The 1956 Kenton Orchestra was a rather incredible collection of talent, never to be quite matched by any subsequent Kenton Orchestra.  

Live Rosengarten Mannheim 23 April 1956 by Stan Kenton & His Orchestra (2011-02-15)

Edited by John Tapscott

On 11/26/2023 at 5:48 PM, Pim said:

IMG-5255.jpg

Good deal .... tw based on the class of the musicians involved this release left me a little underwhelmed ....