• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This LP continues to be in heavy rotation at this listener's house:

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Lou Donaldson - Cosmos (Blue Note, 1971)

George Butler produced this LP, but (aside from the voices) I think it sounds more like soul jazz that Bob Porter was producing for Prestige around that same time.  The key sidemen on Cosmos are Porter regulars: Melvin Sparks, Leon Spencer, and Idris Muhammad.  That (relatively) stripped-down, not over-produced "Bob Porter-like" soul jazz sound is one of the reasons I've been enjoying this LP so much.  ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

16 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-5719.jpg

I have heard it somewhere, I remember the title tune is something in the style of Silver´s "The Preacher", but I think this LP was lesser known. From the 50´s I only have "Blowing Sessions" two albums on one double LP, it is the thing with Trane and Mobley, and a Clifford Jordon record with Sun Ra´s saxophonist John Gilmore. 

I think I also remember or have read, that the "Congregation" is too short for an LP......

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

This LP continues to be in heavy rotation at this listener's house:

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Lou Donaldson - Cosmos (Blue Note, 1971)

George Butler produced this LP, but (aside from the voices) I think it sounds more like soul jazz that Bob Porter was producing for Prestige around that same time.  The key sidemen on Cosmos are Porter regulars: Melvin Sparks, Leon Spencer, and Idris Muhammad.  That (relatively) stripped-down, not over-produced "Bob Porter-like" soul jazz sound is one of the reasons I've been enjoying this LP so much.  ;) 

Strange thing with Blue Note and with Lou Donaldson .....after 1970. As you know I have been a fan since the 70´s but somehow I never got a real feeling for what BN did in that period. All those records (and it seems they were not so much sold or seeked after in Vienna) somehow were the same, a lot of instruments, and quite thin stuff at least for my ears. 

I love a lot of BN albums from the earlier decades and we knew LD from his recordings with Monk, Horace Silver and Art Blakey, and his own "Blues Walk" , but I think he was not very much touring in the 70´s , the first time I heard him live was in the 80´s and that was mighty fine..... 

My impression was, that other labels had more interesting 70´s years jazz, like CBS, Atlantic or what you call them. 

If BN wanted to sell us electric jazz, rock jazz, I think CBS with electric Miles was much better on that, and others like Headhunters or RTF were much better and more interesting than those many "one kind of style 70´s BN recordings". 
Once I did a mistake and bought a LD BN album from 1974 and after listening one side it landed in the garbage can, the only time I did something like that with a record.....

Barney Wilen - Jazz sur Seine, Sam records reissue. Sounds great. Wilen has such a fluent style. Each solo seems as though it was written. Stanley Turrentine has a similar thing going on.  Never heard Milt Jackson play so much piano. 

10 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Blue Parrot has issued another Coltrane LP titled " Brazilia" beside the "Crescent" LP. Have both for a very long time

42326634bg.jp42326634bg.jpg

42326635lw.jpg

44115816av.jpg

44115818zp.jpg

Interesting label. Appears to have been run from a house on a 60s estate in the Edinburgh suburbs. I think the releases date from the late 70s if Discogs is correct. 

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

in your book ? You wrote a book ? 

Haha the language barrier! Love that. Sometimes it’s hard for us non-native Englishmen to understand what people are talking about 😉

Now if @HutchFan actually wrote a book about his favorite albums I’d buy it in a heartbeat. For now his blogs will do

Edited by Pim