What's This New Andrew Hill Side Out Of Denmark?

JSngry

Oh man, I hadn't realized this was coming out as a real release.

I've already got a burn of this show (excellent sound quality), and it's definitely a keeper. And I think most of the tunes were composed especially for the event, so this is probably material that's pretty much exlusive to this concert (or at least this release).

If anybody has any tips for how to track one of these down, I'd be interested in the info. The burn I already have is fine, but I'd rather own a legit release -- unless it costs a huge bundle to get.

Thanks!! :)

PS: I wonder if this is a release of the full concert. What I have from this show is 2 CD's, and roughly 100 minutes of music (if I remember right). Can anybody tell if the legit release is one or two CD's in length??

EDIT: Here's what I think is the concert program, from the actual concert (PDF format): >>CLICK HERE<<.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Guest Chaney

I just happened to be talking with the folks at Cadence ( :w ) and FYI: they don't have this one in stock yet and they're not sure when it might arrive.

I've already got a burn of this show (excellent sound quality), and it's definitely a keeper.  And I think most of the tunes were composed especially for the event, so this is probably material that's pretty much exlusive to this concert (or at least this release).

I confess to being the similarly obsessed person that sent Tom a copy of the radio broadcast of the Hill Jazzpar Prize concert. It is possible that the release is not from the same performance. The group performed together on four consecutive nights. It is possible, like other Jazzpar releases, that the recording was put together with segments from multiple performances. I can't read the language from the link, which does not appear to include the recording date.

In any event, like Rooster said this is some of the most beautiful music I have heard from Hill. In past communications with Ron Horton he told me that he had a significant role in arranging the music and upon hearing a copy of the broadcast I sent to him he was very proud of the results.

The official recording is a must have!

Edited by relyles

Stunt is a sub company of Sundance Records who've just opened an office in New Jersey so maybe US distribution isn't far off.Can't find any concrete info on the set but I'd guess release is imminent.The company website is pretty basic but contact them on sundance@sundance.dk and maybe they'll have some good news on the release date.No e-mail for the NJ address yet just this phone and fax number.

phone +1 8569316441

fax +1 8569316445.

Getting Stunt stuff in the past has been easy here in the UK,but I've been waiting a while on the new Carsten Dahl set.Anyone interested this side should contact gtannerjazzwest@hotmail.com.

By the way, in case anybody overlooked it...

There are three full-length tracks available at the link in the very first post in this thread. The tracks are in the Real-Player format, FWIW.

These links (below) should work, but if not - just go to the page from the link in the first post, and look for the titles on the right-hand side of the page.

>> Flying in the Sky

>> Do To

>> Yesterday Tomorrow

Enjoy!! :w

• 3 weeks later...

Further update:

Peter Crawford at Stateside now has this (ships June 14):

New Releases - Shipping: June 14, 2004

All titles 16.98 list except as noted

Available from: Stateside Distributors

1004 N. California

Chicago, Illinois 60622

Tel: 1-888-776-0436, Fax: 773-862-8630, e-mail: stateside@prodigy.net

STUNT

Stu 20412 - Andrew Hill Jazzpar Octet + 1 - "The Day The World Stood Still" Featuring: Andrew Hill (piano, composer, leader), Staffan Svensson (tpt), Klaus Lohrer (bass trombone/tuba), Peter Fuglsang (alto sax clarinet, bs clarinet), Thomas Agergaard (tenor sax, flute), Liudas Mockunas (sop. and baritone sax, clarinet and bs. clarinet), Scott Colley (bass) and Nasheet Waits (drums). Original compositions by Hill recorded in Denmark and Sweden in April 2003 at concerts hosted by JAZZPAR. The JAZZPAR prize, the largest annual jazz award in the world, is awarded to an internationally known and fully active jazz artist. Past winners have included: Enrico Rava - 2002 - (Stu 03062) and Marilyn Mazur - 2001 - (Stu 02072). UPC# 663993204123

You beat me to the punch, Dan! I ordered a copy yesterday from Peter.

PS - love your Steve Martin quote. The last bit of that little song always slayed me:

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus.

Be dull and boring and omniprescent.

Criticize things you don't know about.

Be oblong and have your knees removed.

Edited by DrJ

I just picked up a copy, so no impressions yet. Peter of Stateside dropped off some at the Jazz Record Mart in Chicago this Wed. -- as if you didn't have enough reasons to go there and spend $. Anyway, it looks very promising.

Eric

Dusty Groove is now stocking the Andrew Hill with a bit of a discount. But of course I just had to have it the first day...

Anyway, in general I do like the music, though it is dense and will take many listens to really appreciate. On a few tracks, particularly the first, you barely hear the piano. But the textures are really interesting. I picked up a lot on the reeds, especially the bass clarinet. It didn't sound like Dolphy or anything, but I thought it was in the same vein. I am not crazy about the vocals on track #5. I find them very distracting and insipid. (I suppose it is a lot like the poem on McLean's About Soul, which many people don't care for since it just gets in the way of the music, but that's what the musicians wanted to include, so whatcha gonna do.)

The liner notes are great, a very long excerpt from an interview Hill did with a Danish jazz magazine. He talks a lot about his early career. I had no idea he played with Bird when he (Hill) was a young man.

So I would highly recommend this if you are a Hill fan. Now we just wait for the unreleased BN sessions in 2005.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Hell, good to give Stateside the business anyway, Peter was incredibly friendly despite my pestering him every couple days before it was finally released!

I like the music so far, very dense Hill, even more so than the large group recording he did for Palmetto from a couple years back. I like it, it sounds more "dangerous" than anything he's recorded for Palmetto so far (fine as those recordings were) - maybe than anything he's recorded for even a lot longer than that. The proceedings are sometimes more ragged than his U.S. stuff of the past few years, with the horn players sounding a bit less accomplished, but they also seem maybe a little more jazzed just to be there, if you dig, and it comes across appealingly in the sounds.

Edited by DrJ