Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the best source for finding the current going prices for OOP Mosaics? Ebay? I'm in a shedding possessions mode, and I'm thinking of getting rid of my sets, which I'd offer here first. Not sure yet if I really want to do it, but I have:

Jackie McLean 1964-66

Gerald Wilson

Serge Chaloff

Jimmy Giuffre

Sam Rivers (the spine is peeling on the box).

JJJ

You're stuttering.

ha ha ha

What's the best source for finding the current going prices for OOP Mosaics? Ebay? I'm in a shedding possessions mode, and I'm thinking of getting rid of my sets, which I'd offer here first. Not sure yet if I really want to do it, but I have:

Jackie McLean 1964-66

Gerald Wilson

Serge Chaloff

Jimmy Giuffre

Sam Rivers (the spine is peeling on the box).

That's what I usually look at. I've noticed that prices have come down quite a bit over the last few years, though. Exceptions being the Maynard and Thad/Mel sets, which still seem to command premium $$.

Thad Jones Complete Blue Note/UA Recordings, disk 2. The booklet mentions that Thad was like Bartok on trumpet, and I kinda agree. Truly a GENIUS, that didn't get his due credit in the 50s and 60s with Basie. Perhaps from insiders and jazz fans in the know, but the public and history books don't mention him that much. There isn't even a chapter on him in Stanley Dance's book....CrAzY!

LOVE Thad's playing and composing. Billy Mitchell is a monster and the rhythm sections, well...Things Ain't The Way They Used To Be....

Maybe I gotta check some new music out....

Thad Jones Complete Blue Note/UA Recordings, disk 2. The booklet mentions that Thad was like Bartok on trumpet, and I kinda agree. Truly a GENIUS, that didn't get his due credit in the 50s and 60s with Basie. Perhaps from insiders and jazz fans in the know, but the public and history books don't mention him that much. There isn't even a chapter on him in Stanley Dance's book....CrAzY!

I took a jazz history course with Chuck Israels at Brooklyn College in 1974, and Chuck went on about how brilliant a soloist Thad was. He was talking in terms of melodic/thematic improvisers, who he felt were superior to artists who simply blew on changes, and I think the context was Monk recordings, where he said Thad and Newk were perfect for Monk's music, and he denigrated Charlie Rouse by comparison, IIRC.

I took a jazz history course with Chuck Israels at Brooklyn College in 1974, and Chuck went on about how brilliant a soloist Thad was. He was talking in terms of melodic/thematic improvisers, who he felt were superior to artists who simply blew on changes, and I think the context was Monk recordings, where he said Thad and Newk were perfect for Monk's music, and he denigrated Charlie Rouse by comparison, IIRC.

One of my favorite Mosaic boxes, actually.

There really is some wonderful, tight, smart playing on that Thad Jones set, I love it ... but I am just on Dizzy disk one and he is in a class of his own!

There really is some wonderful, tight, smart playing on that Thad Jones set, I love it ... but I am just on Dizzy disk one and he is in a class of his own!

Dizzy is certainly in a class by his own. A true trailblazer and original. :party: I haven't heard much about the Dizzy Mosaic set on here, but I like it, and Dizzy of course, steals the show.

Long time follower of the Forums ... first post.

082311.jpg

The Complete Blue Note Sam Rivers Sessions, Disk I.

WELCOME Delightfulee!!! I too followed the forum for a long time before joining. You'll find this a good place, lot's of passionate music fans and knowledgeable musicians here.

I am listening to Duke Ellington Complete Capitol Recordings Disk 3. I think it's interesting to hear the band without Johnny Hodges (who accounted for a lot of the beauty and soulfulness of the band), Russell Procope gets in a great solo in Lady Be Good, it's astonishing actually.

Duke's piano playing is very strong here. As is the trumpet section, it's stacked!

All in all, a difficult time for Duke and his men, but the music is still quality Ellingtonia.