Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just played the "Quiet As It's Kept" date again (Roach disc 6), as well as the next, instrumental-only, album with the Turrentine/Priester band -very nice! Now on with Tommy T's Time album and possibly the Enja live album and then tomorrow the last of the Mercury albums done in Paris - all nicely in chronological order - fascinating to hear Max's playing evolving over the years!

Over the last to days: The Complete Capitol Recordings Of Woody Herman (purchased on the occasion of the second chance opportunity of few weeks ago)

For the most part this is great music - an unjustly underrated period of Woody's career. The Herman herds of the Capitol period (1948-50, 1954-56) bring together first rate musicians (section players and soloists) and superb charts by some of the best arrangers of the time. By the way, until listening to this set I wasn't aware of how great a big band drummer Chuck Flores was. There are some oddities none the less: the somewhat corny dixieland sides (kind of a throwback to Woody's vaudeville days) and the slightly commercial tracks using vocal groups. But the rest is pure big band jazz outstandingly performed.

Over the last to days: The Complete Capitol Recordings Of Woody Herman (purchased on the occasion of the second chance opportunity of few weeks ago)

For the most part this is great music - an unjustly underrated period of Woody's career. The Herman herds of the Capitol period (1948-50, 1954-56) bring together first rate musicians (section players and soloists) and superb charts by some of the best arrangers of the time. By the way, until listening to this set I wasn't aware of how great a big band drummer Chuck Flores was. There are some oddities none the less: the somewhat corny dixieland sides (kind of a throwback to Woody's vaudeville days) and the slightly commercial tracks using vocal groups. But the rest is pure big band jazz outstandingly performed.

Yes, I'm looking forward to hearing Flores in this context! I mostly know him from the Bud Shank Quartet (four albums in the great Shank Pacific Mosaic).

So two of those zombie Mosaics made their way to Zurich... I guess that's why everybody thinks we're rich, but God know I am so broke now :(