What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Whoa! Saw them several times way back when. Hope they still cut it

Saw them last fall from far away in the Balcony of the 3,000 seat Kings theatre in Brooklyn. It was good.

Last night on the rail. Spectacular. I was 20 feet from Stephen Malkmus. Back holding up / I’ve had bad back problems since June. Trying to go for the last of the 4 nights tomorrow night. 

Seeing Zoh Amba with Steve Gunn, Shahzad Ismaily & Jim White on Sunday 9/17. Saw the group in July. They were great. Also playing is a duo of Lee Renaldo & Booker Stardum.

Trying to squeeze in Mat Maneri’s Quartet with Lucian Ban, Brandon Lopez & Randy Peterson on Saturday 9/16.

Natural Information Society on 9/20 with guests Darius Jones & Ari Brown. Last saw Ari Brown on January 7, 1999 at The Velvet Lounge / the day Fred Hopkins died.

Oteil & Friends at Capital Theatre on Saturday 9/23

Last night 

solo set from Brandon Lopez on double bass / first half of the 40 to 42 minute set sans bow, the second half exclusivity with it. OMG.

trio set with Michael Attias on alto saxophone, Kenneth Jimenez on double bass & Randy Peterson on drums. Drum kit was ride cymbal, splash cymbal, snare, small tom, larger tom & bass drum. He could play the cymbals alone and carry a group. Attias was wonderful, young bassist was in a bad spot following Lopez but he held his own. 40-41 minute improvisation followed by a sublime 12-13 minute coda to the set. 

Randy Peterson remains the most unique and for my $$$, the best jazz drummer on the planet. I’ve been listening to him live and on record now for 25 years and every time I see him I’m stunned. No one plays remotely like him and I just wish more people would take some time to listen to this musical genius of the drum kit.

Get Ready to Receive Yourself

Friday night, Nubya Garcia and the Nu Civilisation Orchestra playing Sauter/Gets 'Focus' and two other pieces.

A late swap of conductor may have explained some of the tentativeness. When it worked well it worked very well, most notably on parts of 'Focus' and a great encore. Good to see Garcia outside her usual band and sound 

Been dropping in at The Rex again.  I plan on seeing the Eric St. Laurent Quintet (guitar, bass and 3 percussionists!) tonight, though I can only stick for the first set.

This Thurs. Pat LaBarbera is back as part of The Rex's tribute to John Coltrane.  Neil Swainson is supposed to be at the gig as well.

I may stop by on Friday to check out the Andrew Scott Quartet, but not entirely sure yet.  I saw them last week, and they were fine.

Last night

Ben Vida with Yarn/Wire

Natural Information Society

both MUCH less impressive than I expected

BV with Yarn/Wire almost all composed with vocals (with some fine harmonies) but 80% of the 50 minute set was singing

NIS is just too static rhythmically (I knew this going in) but I hoped they would generate some real energy live and it never happened. Ari Brown, Jason Stein, Darius Jones & Josh Berman were all great but alas without any peaking by the static boring drummer, nothing truly exciting happened during the over long 85 minute set. Great venue (Pioneer Works) with a great sound system but please play the fucking drum kit!!! Drive the horn players, PLEASE!!!!!

Impressive from some perspective I suppose but something like Tim Berne tonight with Greg Belisle-Chi, Oscar Noriega, Chis Potter, Eivand Opsik & Jeff Davis will be infinitely more invigorating to these ears.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Not sure that 'driving' is the point of NiS, for the horns or the kit.  I saw them with Evan Parker and it was sublime, hypnotic and deliberately without peaks. It's all about the repitition.

Of course I understand that but I was never once hypnotized. Some dynamics would only add to that effect. But as I am wont to say to my friends, “they never made a statue for a critic!“

Two friends of mine are going to see them tonight in Philadelphia. I’m very curious to hear their reaction. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

On 9/21/2023 at 9:16 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

Last night

Ben Vida with Yarn/Wire

Natural Information Society

both MUCH less impressive than I expected

BV with Yarn/Wire almost all composed with vocals (with some fine harmonies) but 80% of the 50 minute set was singing

NIS is just too static rhythmically (I knew this going in) but I hoped they would generate some real energy live and it never happened. Ari Brown, Jason Stein, Darius Jones & Josh Berman were all great but alas without any peaking by the static boring drummer, nothing truly exciting happened during the over long 85 minute set. Great venue (Pioneer Works) with a great sound system but please play the fucking drum kit!!! Drive the horn players, PLEASE!!!!!

Impressive from some perspective I suppose but something like Tim Berne tonight with Greg Belisle-Chi, Oscar Noriega, Chis Potter, Eivand Opsik & Jeff Davis will be infinitely more invigorating to these ears.

Tim’s band last night played a stunning 90 minute set. Potter on bass clarinet & Noriega on b-flat clarinet were both great. Berne has never played better than when I’ve seen him previously than he did last night. For years I didn’t see him often as his music has often frustrated me. I’ve seen him probably 8 to 10 times this year on his regular Thursday night gig. I’ve turned the corner. 

A number of brand new compositions mixed in with tunes he’s been playing this whole year. Segues, collective improv and burning hot solos from the horns & Belisle-Chi on guitar. Last night’s set would have made a great old school double LP live album. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

At the last minute, I got asked to go see Stanley Jordan perform solo at Jimmy's in Portsmouth, NH last night. I hadn't seen him play in decades so I thought, "Why not"? It was an enjoyable evening but not one I need to repeat too often. I probably haven't seen him play in 25 years but after all that time, his playing still had this sameness to it. I had a great time with my friend Bob which made it a worthwhile night, but it was pretty expensive. $87 for the ticket & another $60 for a couple of drinks and an appetizer.

I admire Jordan's guitar playing... even marvel at what he can do with that one guitar. At times it sounds like 3 guitars up on the stage. But for song after song after song - it was just not different enough. He played the piano and guitar simultaneously for two songs, which was different, but he also sang along and his singing voice was not for me. On top of that, his vocals were so buried in the mix, that I could hardly understand much of what he sang.