What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

1 hour ago, bresna said:

At the last minute, I got asked to go see Stanley Jordan perform solo at Jimmy's in Portsmouth, NH last night. I hadn't seen him play in decades so I thought, "Why not"? It was an enjoyable evening but not one I need to repeat too often. I probably haven't seen him play in 25 years but after all that time, his playing still had this sameness to it. I had a great time with my friend Bob which made it a worthwhile night, but it was pretty expensive. $87 for the ticket & another $60 for a couple of drinks and an appetizer.

I admire Jordan's guitar playing... even marvel at what he can do with that one guitar. At times it sounds like 3 guitars up on the stage. But for song after song after song - it was just not different enough. He played the piano and guitar simultaneously for two songs, which was different, but he also sang along and his singing voice was not for me. On top of that, his vocals were so buried in the mix, that I could hardly understand much of what he sang.

Hearing his breakthrough BN release 30 years (or whatever) ago was enough to tell me I didn't need to see him live.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tim Berne with Gregg Belisle-Chi, Michael Formanek & Jeff Davis 

Belisle-Chi is turning into a huge favorite. His growth this year playing most Thursdays with Tim has been great to experience as I’ve probably seen him on 8 or 9 of the gigs this year. Michael Formanek should be perfect for this music.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Emmet Cohen Trio with Tootie Heath tomorrow.

Hope you enjoy it. He's one of those names that seem to tower over contemporary jazz in some parts of the jazz listening world, but which you never hear mentioned here, or in most of the places that I visit online.

On 9/28/2023 at 2:50 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Tim Berne with Gregg Belisle-Chi, Michael Formanek & Jeff Davis 

Belisle-Chi is turning into a huge favorite. His growth this year playing most Thursdays with Tim has been great to experience as I’ve probably seen him on 8 or 9 of the gigs this year. Michael Formanek should be perfect for this music.

Has Berne got a weekly gig at the moment? Where is that? 

I'll keep an eye out for Belisle-Chi. Any recommendations would be interesting.

Not that I am likely to be seeing much in the near future, given an imminent new arrival in the family, but good to know for when I emerge.

On 9/27/2023 at 12:17 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

Nate Wooley Mutual Aid Music

with Matt Moran, gabby fluke-mogul and more

at Roulette in Brooklyn 

I feel like we are all hearing a lot less about Nate Wooley these days compared to 2-4 years ago. It's a shame, as I'm a fan. 

17 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Hope you enjoy it. He's one of those names that seem to tower over contemporary jazz in some parts of the jazz listening world, but which you never hear mentioned here, or in most of the places that I visit online.

Has Berne got a weekly gig at the moment? Where is that? 

I'll keep an eye out for Belisle-Chi. Any recommendations would be interesting.

Not that I am likely to be seeing much in the near future, given an imminent new arrival in the family, but good to know for when I emerge.

I feel like we are all hearing a lot less about Nate Wooley these days compared to 2-4 years ago. It's a shame, as I'm a fan. 

Berne plays at Lowlands in Brooklyn most Thursdays. This week with Matt Mitchell, Brandon Seabrook & Tim Angelo. I plan on being there. 3-4 feet away. I’ve seen Tim about 10 times this year at this tiny bar. He walks there from his home. He often brings high profile players like Michael Formanek (last week) and Chris Potter (the week before). Great to hear Potter solely on bass clarinet tearing it up. Oscar Noriega is often with him as well. Amazing clarinet player. I’ve seen David Torn there twice with him as well. Plus Ches Smith who is as incredible as Rainey is in a far different way. 

No CD’s yet with Belisle-Chi but there is download with Tim, Gregg & Rainey on Bandcamp with many of the songs they play live. I have not listened. 

Wooley’s Columbia Icefield has 2 releases. With Mary Halvorson, Susan Alcorn & Ryan Sawyer. They are both great. Mutual Aid Music 2 releases / single CD and 3 CD box. Very demanding music. 

tonight Mat Maneri’s Quartet with Lucian Ban, Brandon Lopez and the *great* Randy Peterson for 2 sets at Jazz Gallery in Manhattan. Saturday night Fred Frith with Zeena Parkins. Next Wednesday Fred with Nava Dunkelman and 2 other woman string players I’m unfamiliar with. Golden time for live music in New York. I’ve been going to 10-12 shows a month this past year. Glorious. 

7 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Second set I just got home from among the greatest sets of music I’ve ever seen.

speechless 

Nice one

Berne used to be a regular visitor to the Vortex and I saw some great shows with various bands.

Doesn't come over here now, like so many others.

Tonight Tim with Matt Mitchell (electric keys), Brandon Seabrook & Tim Angelo

second set exploded when bass drum pedal broke. Mat & Randy were going to play a free duo piece / instead as the staff went to get a back up pedal, Mat says “one minute bass solo, Brandon!” Lopez destroyed the world in a minute. Drum/viola followed with the great men reaching levels unknown to this world. Final composed piece surpassed everything with Lucian on another level mixing inside piano & the keyboard unlike anyone I’ve seen. Wowza.

it goes without saying that Randy Peterson is the greatest drummer I know. Can play more with one cymbal than most drummers can play with a whole kit. Stunning every fucking time. No groove like Randy’s. Deepest swing on the planet at tempos often slower than the thickest goo ever produced. Slow, slower and slowest. Adding Brandon Lopez to this trio has manifested in the most unique oblique group I know of. Mat strongest performance I’ve seen from him in a few years and there is no musician I see play live as often as Mat. 

On 10/4/2023 at 3:51 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Berne plays at Lowlands in Brooklyn most Thursdays. This week with Matt Mitchell, Brandon Seabrook & Tim Angelo. I plan on being there. 3-4 feet away. I’ve seen Tim about 10 times this year at this tiny bar. He walks there from his home. He often brings high profile players like Michael Formanek (last week) and Chris Potter (the week before). Great to hear Potter solely on bass clarinet tearing it up. Oscar Noriega is often with him as well. Amazing clarinet player. I’ve seen David Torn there twice with him as well. Plus Ches Smith who is as incredible as Rainey is in a far different way. 

No CD’s yet with Belisle-Chi but there is download with Tim, Gregg & Rainey on Bandcamp with many of the songs they play live. I have not listened. 

Wooley’s Columbia Icefield has 2 releases. With Mary Halvorson, Susan Alcorn & Ryan Sawyer. They are both great. Mutual Aid Music 2 releases / single CD and 3 CD box. Very demanding music. 

tonight Mat Maneri’s Quartet with Lucian Ban, Brandon Lopez and the *great* Randy Peterson for 2 sets at Jazz Gallery in Manhattan. Saturday night Fred Frith with Zeena Parkins. Next Wednesday Fred with Nava Dunkelman and 2 other woman string players I’m unfamiliar with. Golden time for live music in New York. I’ve been going to 10-12 shows a month this past year. Glorious. 

Just a quick one - but there is this one of Tim and Gregg together on Intakt. I also caught them in Germany (in trio with Hank Roberts) sometime last year when we intersected on tour, and it was absolutely stunning.

5 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Mat Maneri Quartet last night in Kingston, NY

maybe better every time

with Lucian Ban, Brandon Lopez and the incredible Randy Peterson

Damn. I only recently discovered that Arts Society of Kingston has been having concerts, but forgot to bookmark their page. 😢

Just now, jazztrain said:

Went last night to see Charles Lloyd (with Jason Moran, Eric Harland, and Reuben Rogers) in Boston.

Nice band, how was it? I have tickets for a month's time, he's playing with Marvin Sewell and Gerald Clayton.

Will be my fourth time seeing Lloyd, he's always been good so far

Good show.  My first time seeing him live.  Lloyd was very lyrical at times.  My wife loved it as well.  As expected, he played tenor and flute, but he also played a reddish/brownish straight saxophone (a stritch, perhaps?) at the beginning of his first encore.  It looked somewhat like a rosewood clarinet, but it sounded like a saxophone.  

I just looked online.  It was a tárogató.  

30 minutes ago, jazztrain said:

Good show.  My first time seeing him live.  Lloyd was very lyrical at times.  My wife loved it as well.  As expected, he played tenor and flute, but he also played a reddish/brownish straight saxophone (a stritch, perhaps?) at the beginning of his first encore.  It looked somewhat like a rosewood clarinet, but it sounded like a saxophone.  

I just looked online.  It was a tárogató.  

Glad you enjoyed it. I do love his lyricism