What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to see Kenny Garrett at the 46th Göttingen Jazz Festival tonight https://www.jazzfestival-goettingen.de/event/kenny-garrett-quintet/

I first saw him with Miles Davis in Hamburg July 30, 1990 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7We-LBEr-c 

On November 12, 2012, he was in Göttingen and, to his surprise, met the late Roy Hargrove here. 

21 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Interested to know how this is. I toyed with the idea of going but wasn't sure it would work.

Absolutely fabulous.  Just played the album, which I rate very highly. All a bit looser and some extended solos, Hill and Gold especially impressive.

I thought the orchestration worked very well, an obvious development of the strings writing on the album. Didn't overwhelm whilst not used sparingly. The whole came across as more suite-like. The quintet got to play without strings enough to prove their undoubted cohesiveness

A couple of times Hill got lost amongst the strings but overall it was well balanced 

I find the album an oddly emotional listen and the concert was similarly, there's some great tunes in there.

A triumph

Edited by mjazzg

On 11/9/2023 at 7:50 AM, bresna said:

Going to see baritone saxophonist Danny Harrington at Arthur's House of Jazz in Methuen. I'm maybe more interested to see/hear Rusty Scott on the piano again. I think it's been close to 30 years since I saw Rusty live. I used to try to catch all of his shows with his regular band back then - Tim Meyer on tenor & Keala Kaumeheiwa on bass. They were a fun band to see back then.

The band was great but what a sad evening of live jazz. I think there were only 12 paying customers in the place. I don't know how this club is going to stay open with that kind of attendance.

Edited by bresna

It seems that most of the artists I listen to do not schedule performances in Memphis.  In a rare exception, there is a broadcast of this Anthony Davis opera from the Met being shown locally.  Unfortunately for me, none of my acquaintances have the slightest interest in opera (even if Marty Ehrlich is in the band).  X: The Life and Times of Malcolm X | The Met: Live in HD

43 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

oh that´s great !

So hard to pick out specific highlights as everyone played so well. There was a very well deserved standing ovation at Cadogan Hall.

I have to pick out Cecil McBee though, who was truly astonishing for an 88 year old. Such efficient note placement and big sound.

Billy Hart - what can you say? The guy remains a human dynamo, gave it 200%

A great pleasure too to hear again the lovely trumpet tone and attack of Eddie Henderson. His lip was spot on right to the end.

George Cables - first time I've seen him but what a player and not letting mobility issues stop him. Got a huge applause.

Billy Harper - some telling and probing solos, nice to hear him on his own 'Croquet Ballet'.

Last time I saw The Cookers was around 2012 with our late friend JohnS. They remain, thankfully, a vital presence in jazz.

22 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

So hard to pick out specific highlights as everyone played so well. There was a very well deserved standing ovation at Cadogan Hall.

I have to pick out Cecil McBee though, who was truly astonishing for an 88 year old. Such efficient note placement and big sound.

Billy Hart - what can you say? The guy remains a human dynamo, gave it 200%

A great pleasure too to hear again the lovely trumpet tone and attack of Eddie Henderson. His lip was spot on right to the end.

George Cables - first time I've seen him but what a player and not letting mobility issues stop him. Got a huge applause.

Billy Harper - some telling and probing solos, nice to hear him on his own 'Croquet Ballet'.

Last time I saw The Cookers was around 2012 with our late friend JohnS. They remain, thankfully, a vital presence in jazz.

I share your enthusiasm! I saw them twice in the Theaterstübchen in Kassel. Billy Hart will be there again next year https://www.theaterstuebchen.de/event/johannes-enders-feat-billy-hart/ 

Other Minds Festival is this week. Thinking of going on Wednesday.

Opens with a performance by Swedish sound artist and composer Ellen Arkbro, whose chordal textures spread out like invisible sculptures—diamond formations for the listening mind. Arkbro will be followed by an improvised set by the American pianist and composer Craig Taborn, whose music melding the complexity of Iannis Xenakis with the sweetness of Francis Poulenc has been hailed by the New York Times for its “proud refusal to cater to expectations about what jazz, or even music, should be.”

5 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Tim Berne with David Torn, Trevor Dunn (on electric bass) & Tom Rainey

gonna be insane 

Even better than last week’s Sun of Goldfinger show. Like last week, fully improvised. The opening 44 minute piece had Rainey fully peaking. I’ve seen him dozens of times over the years and yet he still shocks me. Stunning with only grooves that he plays. Sounds like no other drummer. Best brush player on the planet. 

Dunn is understated to some extent and simply brilliant. Torn is like no one else and Berne was on fire. Second 16 minute piece slightly less great but it would have been an impossibility to match the first improvisation.  

Edited by Steve Reynolds

21 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Taborn solo is one of the most concentratedly intense gigs I've seen. It must be nearly ten years ago and it still gives me shivers.

He's in London soon so may have to repeat the experience 

Yes! I was surprised. Much more intense than I've seen in any of his other settings.

Charles Lloyd Ocean trio at the Barbican last night.

Some beautiful playing from all three.

Cleverly paced with Clayton and Sewell doing some heavy lifting to give Lloyd plenty of rest. He looked notably less mobile than 4 years ago but when he played he played at length and strongly.