What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

What's also funny is that I was in Waterloo on Friday afternoon, and I think Buzz might have been, too.

But I was only there from 3:37 to 3:52, so you may have missed me. :w

HOLY CRAP! I was there from 3:54 - 4:17. Bummer. :o

[actually, I was there Saturday night around 8:30]

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lou Donaldson is in town tonight, playing at a Tallahassee jazz club w/a local rhythm section. No doubt sammiches will be served. :)

The club is fairly new- it was started by a local bass player, Clarence Seay (pronounced "C"- the club is called "B Sharp's" :cool: ). Clarence has played with a lot of notables, including Billy Harper (I hope Clarence can get him to come sometime!). The club is small, but it's doing well and has become a place for FSU students to perform as well as area musicians, with the occasional out-of-town treat, like Lou. I'm looking forward to it.

Guest Bill Barton

Tonight it's a concert of Lou Harrison's percussion music at Cornish College of the Arts. This is part of a four-night series revisiting "Drums Along the Pacific" with one night of Henry Cowell's music and two featuring that of John Cage. I'm really looking forward to this (now about two-and-a-half hours away...)

Kenny Barron Trio.

Tonight it's a concert of Lou Harrison's percussion music at Cornish College of the Arts. This is part of a four-night series revisiting "Drums Along the Pacific" with one night of Henry Cowell's music and two featuring that of John Cage. I'm really looking forward to this (now about two-and-a-half hours away...)

Just saw Odeon's Ted Nash, quite a fun show, a drummer, an accordeonist, a tuba/trombone player , a violonist and Nash on horns. Quite eclectic as a gig, a few tangos, a Monk coverwithe the drummer the tubas player and Nash, a Very good Debussy and even a pop tune like Tico Tico.

Gotta say that the violonist Nathalie Bonin has other talents besides her musical skills :blush2:

nath-rock-mur_9868.jpgnath-rock-sofa-wide-5248.jpg

Corey Christensen at the Jazz Kitchen tonight. Mark Sheldon gonna be there?

:tup

Wish I was a little closer to Indy... Corey is outstanding!

What's the format, Joe? Trio?

The show last night was okay, but Corey had to compete with two electric bassists and two other guitarists, it being a Guitar Summit. Tonight, Rachel and I went down to Bloomington, had dinner with Ghost of Miles and Mrs. Ghost, then saw Corey with a quartet in an abandoned restaurant. Much better showcase, and Corey was playing some incredible stuff. My kind of player.

I saw Freddie Redd 3 times this week:

1) At Twins in D.C. on Wednesday 3/25.

2) At a private party/jam session on Thursday 3/26.

3) At Smalls' in NYC on Saturday 3/28.

Freddie played tunes from his three BN LPs arranged for quintet/sextet by my friend Brad Linde, who did an amazing job putting this together and booking Freddie. Freddie had not played most of these since the original sessions almost 50 years ago! He sounded amazing.

Personnel and set lists to follow.

Bertrand.

George Lewis / Nicole Mitchell / Hamid Drake Trio

Caught most of this tonite (came in late, coming from a rehearsal) and it was very cool. George had an interesting electronic rig. He used it to record, process and playback stuff that he was doing on trombone. He also had a mic in front of Nicole and was recording and processing some of the things she played.

They'll play again Tuesday night at UNM, and we'll do a couple of Nicole's big band things as well.

(Edit to say that, after speaking with George, I learned that he was not playing back things that were just played. Instead he was playing all kinds of pre-recorded stuff, including some snippets of Nicole Mitchell from years ago!)

Edited by DukeCity

George Lewis / Nicole Mitchell / Hamid Drake Trio

Caught most of this tonite (came in late, coming from a rehearsal) and it was very cool. George had an interesting electronic rig. He used it to record, process and playback stuff that he was doing on trombone. He also had a mic in front of Nicole and was recording and processing some of the things she played.

They'll play again Tuesday night at UNM, and we'll do a couple of Nicole's big band things as well.

George & Nicole both signed my copy of George's book.