What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Darius Jones Quartet with Matt Mitchell, Chris Lightcap & Ches Smith

1 minute ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Matt Mitchell replaced by Micah Thomas on piano. First set short ok.

second set 65 minutes why I go on a 1:45 ride to Brooklyn in the rain.

Darius Jones remains as great an expressive individual alto saxophonist as exists in this world. Incredible moving mind blowing experience with Ches destroying the room in unison with the band. Ending drum solo into duet with the great saxophone man was astounding. Wowza.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

On 11/27/2022 at 7:00 PM, jlhoots said:

He was using a walker when I saw him, but his "spirits" seemed good. Part of his ambulation problem is due to the amputation he had years ago. He has a partial leg prosthesis.

I think I read that Art Pepper used to call Cables Mister Beautiful.  That pretty much sums up his playing and sunny disposition. :)  I know that it is a waste of energy to lament award snubs, but how is Cables not an NEA Jazz Master?!?  I just checked and neither are Harper, McBee and Henderson.  That is nuts.

This past Thursday night

First set:

William Winant with Nava & Shayna Dunkelman, Zeena Parkins & Ikue Mori. Nava Dunkelman rules the world!!!

Second Set:

Winant with Ava Mendoza & the *great* Ches Smith who added his laptop brilliance to his drumming. 2 Stunning 23-24 minute pieces. As great as improvised music gets. Extreme explosive playing by Winant & Smith. Much of it was dual drum kits. Wowza

Last Night:

Catalytic Festival

All short small formations

First Set:

Ned Rothenberg & Lotte Anker

David Watson, Celia Lopez & Zeena Parkins

Brandon Lopez, Fred Lonberg-Holm, Sylvie Courvoisier & Chris Corsano (spectacular)

Second Set:

Zeena Parkins & Chris Corsano (spectacular)

Brandon Lopez, Ned Rothenberg & Fred Lonberg-Holm (incredible especially the two great string players. New levels of imagination from both of them)

Sylvie Courvoisier, Celia Lopez, Lotte Anker & David Watson (another wow set / Sylvie might have been the best musician on the stage last night which given that we had Zeena, Fred & Brandon is saying something)

the WHOLE group finished with a 16-17 minute piece that was, again, among the greatest slices of live improvised music I’ve ever witnessed

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Mingus Big Band tonight with Orrin Evans, Adam Cruz. Conrad Herwig, a trumpet section of Randy Brecker, Freddie Hendrix, and Phil Harper, and lot of other fine players.  Wayne Escoffery is now helming the band.  Was invited out to see them last week by someone I know who works with the band, with a somewhat different lineup (including Helen Sung and Craig Handy).  It was literally the first jazz show I've seen since I caught Ben Waltzer and Steve Nelson at Mezzrow just a week before all hell broke loose back in March 2020.  Saw the lineup for this week and said that I'd just have to come back. 

Venue for these Wednesday night shows is the brand new Midnight Theater in the ludicrous Hudson Yards development.  The place sure wasn't ready for prime time last week (QR code menu and online ordering system not working reliably, no paper menu backup available, very amateurish service, etc.) but the limited menu of pricey Chinese snacks was OK, and the music was, of course, sublime, with just the right touch of Mingusian chaos.

Edited by Al in NYC

41 minutes ago, Al in NYC said:

Mingus Big Band tonight with Orrin Evans, Adam Cruz. Conrad Herwig, a trumpet section of Randy Brecker, Freddie Hendrix, and Phil Harper, and lot of other fine players.  Wayne Escoffery is now helming the band.  Was invited out to see them last week by someone I know who works with the band, with a somewhat different lineup (including Helen Sung and Craig Handy).  It was literally the first jazz show I've seen since I caught Ben Waltzer and Steve Nelson at Mezzrow just a week before all hell broke loose back in March 2020.  Saw the lineup for this week and said that I'd just have to come back. 

Venue for these Wednesday night shows is the brand new Midnight Theater in the ludicrous Hudson Yards development.  The place sure wasn't ready for prime time last week (QR code menu and online ordering system not working reliably, no paper menu backup available, very amateurish service, etc.) but the limited menu of pricey Chinese snacks was OK, and the music was, of course, sublime, with just the right touch of Mingusian chaos.

For some reason, I thought that Alex Sipiagin was leading the Mingus Big Band. It probably doesn't matter as it is more of an ensemble than anything.

12 hours ago, bresna said:

For some reason, I thought that Alex Sipiagin was leading the Mingus Big Band. It probably doesn't matter as it is more of an ensemble than anything.

He was back when they were holding down Mondays at the late Jazz Standard.   But these last 2 nights when I saw them Wayne Escoffery was calling the tunes, making announcements, etc.

10 hours ago, BFrank said:

Saw a version of that at the NYC Winter Jazzfest in 2019, but with Hamid Drake instead of Tyshawn

hHVn81zNlPx_g7_fl_mCaXpot__qAJG4nAzXk65qCuziGmbIYDM_YVIJik7buby4STMspKcwcQ607g-b9Nco5XDa7VOzvU_G0ajnCkag1q91wcgCXKTC9KXSj8uUDPw32nwm7hyMl1h2AFoDUXdgHX_37K3rZYP7yIW5Gi_TaufPV3eQU_dGSbAgDt7vVWn-MgyfP-MsL1dCq-q5HbWQN3tN0pxBIEkMb64Lf8InVq4NG3hLgg0eB5jXu-0J8mQX9GHN2ML8rv4SZxEi4DkTCHoq8W4WkckvHclimopWdKR9LHXVcLfH21G9RsTm_aVQeiLRRAKRFl4rFZ1NEBKTHIBwcOjEa-aHTs0KaTOLcZ44EnxM6n4EfvNkiw6Oga3XAIPTsrsoVzkrNV6K10Uyau1_TgXV9cUzu62PuSD5X7k9JmJztqRPlIg4FFGC_kv0MrV3z7utKkGmW9uu9dcNRCX69TGT86gvDwPy2LYZToRWPMXzjkOT3T3WakKeBKmunuEmfDneLOL5094RNt0hQ0ufVyno9pM1ofkDf7pqV8Qw5259mRONFFZoVmWMRxNNJIlLrPJSgs6JnLHWz_R4UY8qCfZxJT8YV3EBX-lpXLgU5PFlr9KICkslVnZraeAcIbb_x0JoBgDhBv7s1Fp4VN81dv7Pg6pYQWJnmSzZ_PJjxewESbesIChLPLljwlnMhqmjTwNX05y4BKxoQ5Br2c264lywN7Y7SpgsRJ2q3kNzSAMqsslLwxSC-1j3z3SS_fVczgWzsZc32mDThq6VFCxY1rYDwluMIg3GqOGvTxi6AtLAaTUQuG-95D-w5pkvFjWtrteaVl8J_aiIdSMM5koxhPWCNt05paX3V48eTqcwY4uftq0bmJIsolL-Ej8NPj3UFxLhdkqToGDbMS8nREeg704Ev8Y2emki_1rJp6gqZA=w1923-h1281-no?authuser=0

It was good but not great. Not a huge fan of what Rudolph does, I guess. Liebman was 100% on soprano and his playing was fine albeit not as expressive and powerful as it once was. Plus I’m more accustomed to reed players who take things a bit more out. Tyshawn was spectacular as always. Stayed for the first set which was a 55-56 minute piece that lost some momentum the last 8 to 12 minutes.

14 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

It was good but not great. Not a huge fan of what Rudolph does, I guess. Liebman was 100% on soprano and his playing was fine albeit not as expressive and powerful as it once was. Plus I’m more accustomed to reed players who take things a bit more out. Tyshawn was spectacular as always. Stayed for the first set which was a 55-56 minute piece that lost some momentum the last 8 to 12 minutes.

I enjoyed it. Not spectacular, but I saw a lot of shows in 2 days, so that was OK. Probably a shorter performance, too.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

Last night , as part of the Tucson Jazz Festival, went to see
The Heavy Hitters - Mike leDonne, Eric Alexander, Vincent Herring, Jeremy Pelt, Peter Washington , Kenny Washington

Had tickets for the first show. An excellent one hour set in a  small club that hold 100 people. 

Heavy hitters indeed!

All great players! 👍

Last night 2 shows

@ Barbes in Brooklyn 6:00 show

Tim Berne on alto playing his compositions

Oscar Noriega on b-flat clarinet

Mat Maneri on viola

Gregg Belisle-chi on guitar

Jeff Davis on drums

50 minutes or so started tentative. Incredible shit followed. Davis is very good and powerful yet a tad loud. Young guitarist was brilliant. Noriega mostly under the radar as is his wont / but then he played a solo that teetered near the greatest clarinet improvisation I’ve ever heard. Berne sounded better than ever and Mat again stayed often in service of the music until the last 15-20 minutes when he first took a real solo within the music and for the hundredth time in my life totally destroyed my brain. By this point his riffing and comping was on a level unknown to any violinist or violist that plays improvised music. Best Berne set I’ve experienced

then a drive to The Stone at The New School

even though I’ve never been emotionally attached to this venue as it’s not really “The Stone” that was the hole in the wall venue off Houston street that opened in 2005 when Tonic closed. That being said pretty damn emotional being there for the first time since before the Pandemic.

Ingrid Laubrock leading a quartet playing tenor & soprano saxophones

James Brandon Lewis on tenor

Chad Taylor & Tom Rainey on dual drum kits

Yes James Brandon Lewis is the goods / great sound & facility with power to go with it but Ingrid is the better musician. They certainly loved playing with each other.

First piece 30-32 minutes with 2 peaks / first 1 occurring towards maybe 15 to 20 minutes was beyond possible. Mind blown. Taylor & Rainey are 2 of the greatest drummers alive and the double tenor/double drums just exploded with massive energy and groove. The end of the piece found Taylor in an almost Uber Sunny Murray like way rat tat rat tat rat tat / think of Vibrations / OMG

second 15-20 improvisation somehow was maybe better finding a somewhat South African like vibe and groove with Rainey in submission to great Taylor grooves. Here Lewis was at his best. Extraordinary performance all around. Even Tom Rainey was smiling. Killing it. Why I go to shows 

24 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Last night 2 shows

@ Barbes in Brooklyn 6:00 show

Tim Berne on alto playing his compositions

Oscar Noriega on b-flat clarinet

Mat Maneri on viola

Gregg Belisle-chi on guitar

Jeff Davis on drums

50 minutes or so started tentative. Incredible shit followed. Davis is very good and powerful yet a tad loud. Young guitarist was brilliant. Noriega mostly under the radar as is his wont / but then he played a solo that teetered near the greatest clarinet improvisation I’ve ever heard. Berne sounded better than ever and Mat again stayed often in service of the music until the last 15-20 minutes when he first took a real solo within the music and for the hundredth time in my life totally destroyed my brain. By this point his riffing and comping was on a level unknown to any violinist or violist that plays improvised music. Best Berne set I’ve experienced

then a drive to The Stone at The New School

even though I’ve never been emotionally attached to this venue as it’s not really “The Stone” that was the hole in the wall venue off Houston street that opened in 2005 when Tonic closed. That being said pretty damn emotional being there for the first time since before the Pandemic.

Ingrid Laubrock leading a quartet playing tenor & soprano saxophones

James Brandon Lewis on tenor

Chad Taylor & Tom Rainey on dual drum kits

Yes James Brandon Lewis is the goods / great sound & facility with power to go with it but Ingrid is the better musician. They certainly loved playing with each other.

First piece 30-32 minutes with 2 peaks / first 1 occurring towards maybe 15 to 20 minutes was beyond possible. Mind blown. Taylor & Rainey are 2 of the greatest drummers alive and the double tenor/double drums just exploded with massive energy and groove. The end of the piece found Taylor in an almost Uber Sunny Murray like way rat tat rat tat rat tat / think of Vibrations / OMG

second 15-20 improvisation somehow was maybe better finding a somewhat South African like vibe and groove with Rainey in submission to great Taylor grooves. Here Lewis was at his best. Extraordinary performance all around. Even Tom Rainey was smiling. Killing it. Why I go to shows 

Would like to have seen both of those but especially the second, the idea of Rainey and Taylor together is mouthwatering 

19 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Would like to have seen both of those but especially the second, the idea of Rainey and Taylor together is mouthwatering 

Next Thursday night

Ches Smith leading a quartet with James Brandon Lewis, Nate Wooley, Shahzad Ismaily (new to me / on bass/electronics. Ches on drums plus his awesome laptop stuff that I saw him do with William Winant & Ava Mendoza in December.

due to still having a job I’ll probably miss Ches with Taborn, Mat Maneri & Mary Halvorson added to the trio. That show is on Wednesday. I’ll probably also go Saturday night which is the Thursday quartet augmented by a violinist & violist I don’t know, Oscar Noriega and a woman musician I don’t know on vocals/electronics. 

For those who don’t know, Ches Smith is a brilliant idea person and as great as Rainey & Taylor on drums albeit a far different sort of drummer. Maybe more power. 

I have not seen Wooley since 2019 or maybe even 2018. Been way too long. 

It’s SO amazing to be back seeing the greatest improvisers playing live 

Tonight at The New School 8:30 set / decided to go and I’ll shortly be at the front of the line to experience the best of what this sort of unexplainable and without category music has to offer. But we will see. It’s so without a net and without standard form that who the hell knows until it happens!!!

Ches Smith Trio plus Mary Halvorson 

Ches on drums, vibraphone (and compositions)

Craig Taborn on piano

Mat Maneri on viola

The trio alone when peaking is the best and most original group/band I’ve seen over the last 12-14 years of going to live music in NYC and surrounding areas. Very excited to see them again and very intrigued as to what the addition of the wonderful Mary Halvorson will do to the music. 

Tomorrow still on schedule for the above quartet. 

10 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Tonight at The New School 8:30 set / decided to go and I’ll shortly be at the front of the line to experience the best of what this sort of unexplainable and without category music has to offer. But we will see. It’s so without a net and without standard form that who the hell knows until it happens!!!

Ches Smith Trio plus Mary Halvorson 

Ches on drums, vibraphone (and compositions)

Craig Taborn on piano

Mat Maneri on viola

The trio alone when peaking is the best and most original group/band I’ve seen over the last 12-14 years of going to live music in NYC and surrounding areas. Very excited to see them again and very intrigued as to what the addition of the wonderful Mary Halvorson will do to the music. 

Tomorrow still on schedule for the above quartet. 

Have you seen Mary Halvorson before? I just can't get into her music and I'm wondering if her live performance is different/better?

4 hours ago, tranemonk said:

Have you seen Mary Halvorson before? I just can't get into her music and I'm wondering if her live performance is different/better?

I’ve seen her at least a couple dozen times. Best place is always live 

try “Hotel Grief” on Intakt

Tom Rainey trio with Mary & Ingrid Laubrock 

incredible yet short set tonight. Mary was great but Mat Maneri is from a different planet. 

• 2 weeks later...