A little medical advice, please...

Jim, I asked my wife (who is a pediatrician) to read through this thread. She didn't have any great diagnostic thoughts, but strongly recommended you continue to hound the academic neurology department you've already called. She says a lot of people call and leave messages, then complain two weeks later that nobody calls back. I know you guys aren't in that situation, and certainly that's not great business, but she said "just call until you get someone on the line--as many times as it takes". She also said that this might not be something an ER will be able to pick up on or help with.

So I guess the operative word is, be a pain in the ass until you get someone on the line who can help you.

Sorry we couldn't offer more help; as with the others, you guys are in our thoughts. Take care of yourselves.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this will help, but I've been there. I know what you're going through and a really feel for you, man. My wife has M.S., and the main thing I can advise you is this: Don't stop asking questions until you and your wife get an answer that satisfies both of you. When my wife was first diagnosed, we didn't know what was going on. She had a pins-and-needles sensation in her legs and feet, so we figured there was a circulation problem. She went to her doctor, and he ordered an MRI. The MRI indicated MS, and she was sent to a neurologist. This guy turned out to be a joke. First, when he did a spinal-tap to test for MS (the only way to do it at the time) he didn't do a blood patch and he told her she could be up and at work the next day. We later found out that you should ALWAYS do a blood patch (to balance the spinal fluid) and need to stay down for three days MINIMUM to recover from a spinal-tap. The doctor also put Stacy on steroids to help fight off the attack, but it didn't help. The numbness kept spreading and she became extremely dizzy. Before long, she couldn't drive, couldn't walk without a cane, and was losing the use of her hands. Fortunately, we didn't stop asking questions, and before long we discovered that this neurologist was using techniques that were at least 20 years out of date. We looked for another neurologist, and this time we struck gold. Her new doctor put her on a very high dose of steroids to fight the symptoms, which really helped, and put her on Copaxone - a drug that she has to inject subcutanoiusly daily. The result? Her MS is under control. She can drive again and walk without the aid of a cane. She has complete use of her hands. If she had stayed with the first doctor, I have no doubt that she'd be in a wheelchair today.

I really hope that your wife pulls through and that this isn't anything serious. Good luck.

Doctors are often uncommunicative. I would reiterate that you sometimes have to force them to tell you what they're thinking. You also have to make sure they have all the information: You might want to just copy out your postings and hand them to a doctor. (Have you told them about the metallic taste?)

I wish I could be more helpful. Thinking about you and hoping for the best.

We have told them about the metallic taste. The main doctor she had while in the hospital just looked at us like, "Yeah, so?"

We also told them about the huge bruise on her right butt cheek that she got when she slipped on the stairs about three weeks ago. They didn't seem to think that was anything, either.

The chiropracter thought that the fall could've caused some spinal misalignments but she wants us to have more tests before she does any work because if it's something really serious then she could actually make it worse.

So far, I think the vertebral artery test was pretty revealing. It could be a couple of vertebrae that are out of whack in the upper spine.

Or it could be the first signs of MS. Who knows? It's all up in the air.

Thanks, everyone for the replies and also the PMs. I appreciate it.

Don't want to bombard you with more advice than you can deal with, but I had one additional thought. That is, call your insurance company. You mentioned you were not sure what is or is not covered. Find out what's covered. Make sure you understand your policy, and the company's procedures for seeking medical attention, filing claims, hospital coverage, etc.

Most insurance companies have 24 hour service lines. They can be frustrating to deal with, no doubt about it, but they sometimes can help you sort out the medical options, and, in any event, it would be good to get them to pick up the costs, as much as possible. It's useful to get them on your side as much as possible.

I've had my share of experiences with this type of situation, so I offer it as one who has been there. Once again, good luck. Let your wife know that we are all rooting for her.

Just came upon this thread and at the moment all I can say is what everybody else said:

Keep hounding the Neurology Department.

Go back to the emergency room if you feel you need to.

Cut and paste the story you told here into a narrative with dates and times and bring copies along with you everytime you see somebody.

Alison's cousin said they had written something in the chart about an abnormality on the lower left side of the brain??? Did they tell either of YOU this? Was is something they SAW or something they thought they MIGHT find based on symptoms? I think it would be important to ask who made this note, and what it was based on -- which image, etc. Even if the doctor(s) who ordered the images now feel it is outside their field of expertise, they should at least be available to explain the interpretation of the image and tell you HOW to ask about it when you get to the neurologists.

You're all in my thoughts.

The way the doctor phrased it is that there was a "spot". He didn't say where it was. He also wanted to get a second opinion because, as he put it, if they were to take an MRI of everyone in the room, we'd all probably have abnormalities.

Monday we are going to drive to the MSU Neurology Clinic and not leave until they give us an appointment, prefferably within the next 24 hours.

Jim, I don't know if this is useful or not, but did the chiropractor make her close her eyes and hold her arms straight out in front of her? If one of her arms drops below the level of the other one, that could be a symptom of MS, or, it could be a vitamin deficiency. Also, check out wrongdiagnosis.com, that may help. I hope none of this is confusing.

Edited by GregK

Jim, my thoughts and prayers for you and your wife. Not much to add, except I checked webmd, and those symptoms didn't bring up anything. Seems like their site sucks, IMO. You don't want to go crazy seeing every health problem known to man, but you might try some of her symptoms in a google search...

Also, ask EVERYONE you know about good doctors, there are some good ones(Sometimes a sharp P.A. is better than the doc they work for!) out there, and they tend to know the other good ones, if your friends can't recommend a good neurologist themselves.

I could tell you stories good and bad about emergency room doctors...

Again, best of luck!

Actually I did do a google search and found a post from some woman on a forum that described almost the exact same scenario my wife experienced. Check it out:

http://neuro-www.mgh.harvard.edu/forum_2/G...p--Doctors.html

I mean, that's almost exactly what happened and is happening to my wife. She mentions that one neurologist thought it might be a vitamin B deficiency (iron). My wife was anemic during her pregnancy until she started taking an iron supplement. Maybe she should start up again.

One of the replies to that message mentions the dental work idea as well. So who knows?

So far it seems it could be four things: MS, a pinched nerve or out of place vertebrae, iron deficiency, or metal poisoning. Of course it could be none of these things.

The University of Michigan has one of the very best neurology departments in the country. Indeed, the U of M Hospital and clinics are at or near the top in many medical specialties. It's one of the potential perks of living in or near Michigan. People go there for treatment from throughout the country and throughout the world. I've never heard much about MSU's neurological expertise. MSU specializes in putting out osteopaths, whose biomechanical expertise may have applicability, but that would not be my choice.

In 1991, I was originally diagnosed with a brain tumor and treated at Sparrow Hospital in Lansing, and they did very well for a regional hospital. Fortunately, I was sent on to U of M after my first surgery for a chance at experimental follow-up treatment, and they've managed to help keep me alive since then.

I hope that you'll get a definitive diagnosis soon (Waiting with uncertainty is almost the worst predicament!!!), and that the problem is easily treatable. It may not even be neurological in origin. Stay assertive and focused, and keep a notepad with you. Be buoyed by all the positive thoughts and other vibrations sent your way from friends and family (It's worked for me).

I forgot to add that on Monday as the symptoms came on in the morning, she had a metallic taste on the left side of her mouth.  It was gone by Tuesday and has not returned.

Any fillings in her teeth made from different metals - gold in one and mercury amalgam in another? If so, it will act like a battery - the low voltage electric current could affect nervous impulses.

Just a wild guess - but read about this some years ago.

Edited by mikeweil

Of course, I keep my fingers twisted for y'all - and keep looking for multiple causes: as a former doctor friend of mine used to say, one can always have both flees and lice!

Any movements of the neck you remember with short-term effect but forgotten soon after? Head and neck position while sleeping is okay? I used to have dumbness in my arms from using the wrong pillow at night!