Favorite Cannonball Album

cannonball-addict

What is your favorite Cannonball recording (including Adderley Brothers)???  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm less familiar with all the titles of the individual albums within the set but I really like the Verve 2-fer issued a few years back that included the early Emarcy stuff with Cannon and Nat Adderly, really bright, intelligent hard bop. I voted for this stuff.

Voted the same :tup

I voted for "Other" because my favorite Cannonball sets are those by the sextet with Yusef Lateef. IN NEW YORK, THE JAZZ WORKSHOP REVISITED, LUGANO 1963, DIZZY'S BUSINESS, NIPPON SOUL, and the Landmark IN EUROPE are the CDs that I am aware of. I have all but the last one. TO me this is the best group Cannonball ever led.

I must also add that I saw that sextet live in 1963 as a teenager, and later the quintet a couple of times. The quintet was great, but the excitement of the three horn front line, the visual effect of that front line when playing the heads, and the ability to have two horns behind a soloist were perhaps the highlight of my live jazz experience.

Tom

I also put those sextet albums at the top of the list. That was a great group. The later configuration with Charles Lloyd (which is intriquing) isn't very well represented on CD - their best album (the live session at Shelly Manne's, on"Capitol") seems to have gotten lost in the reissue shuffle.

I voted also for "Somethin' Else", but there are several more that are among my Cannonball favorites.

Portrait of Cannonball

Them Dirty Blues

Know What I Mean (with Bill Evans)

At The Lighthouse

Sextet In New York

His solos on "Milestones" and "Kind Of Blue"

The Live Concerts from Paris

Cannonball (the double CD on EmArcy)

The recording he made with Gil Evans.

:rolleyes:

Vic

• 16 years later...
On 25/11/2004 at 2:35 PM, jazzbo said:

Hmmm. . . I wouldn't really put the Blue Note in my "favorites" list. . . but I really don't have a favorites list with Cannon. I think that more of the Mercury lps could stand to be on this list, and I really love "Them Dirty Blues" and the Riverside material with Teefsky. . . . So I'm firmly in the Harold Z camp! ^_^

Sorry to ask a question about something someone said 16 years ago, but who is Teefsky? I've tried looking at the players on all the Riversides and I can't see anyone with a name that could give rise to a nickname like that.

"Cannonball Takes Charge." I also think he's in very fine form on most of Kenny Dorham's "Blue Spring" (as is Dorham), though that date as a whole is a bit limp and Keepnews-y at times, doesn't have the at once utterly locked-in/mellow/fiery feel of "Takes Charge." "Something Else" does have one of Cannonball's most effective solos ("Autumn Leaves"), and it's a wonderful record, but I think of it as more of a Miles album, even though Cannonball is the nominal leader. In fact, I'd say that Blakey has more to do with the overall feel of "Something Else" than Cannonball does.

Larry Kart

17 years ago apparently.

My favourite Cannonball Adderly might be quite astonishing, it´s not an album as a leader, but his playing on the last track, an extended blues jam on the Gene Ammons Album live at Montreux from 1973, featuring Hampton Hawes on electric piano, Bob Cranshaw on electric bass and Kenny Clarke. On the last, extended track Dexter Gordon and Cannonball are sitting in. And Cannonball got another sound that the one I heard on his 50´s early 60´s albums. I am more into alto if it has the "sugar free" sound, I think you know who I´m referring to. 

But here on that 1973 jam Adderly has that more advanced, daring thing that I like. He is the most exiting player on this. 

• 2 weeks later...

It is quite fashionable to attack Orrin Keepnews. I would suggest that, before criticising him, a person ought to have a record of achievements comparable with his. Riverside's recordings were very valuable, and Milestone had an excellent catalog, including a lot of Joe Henderson. He produced the large series of Fats Waller box sets. And Monk liked an essay that Orrin wrote about him in the late 1940s, which led to his being signed by Riverside when nobody else wanted him.

Not a bad record.

On 11/30/2004 at 6:13 PM, blue-note-ojc said:

I voted for "Other" because my favorite Cannonball sets are those by the sextet with Yusef Lateef. IN NEW YORK, THE JAZZ WORKSHOP REVISITED, LUGANO 1963, DIZZY'S BUSINESS, NIPPON SOUL, and the Landmark IN EUROPE are the CDs that I am aware of. I have all but the last one. TO me this is the best group Cannonball ever led.

I must also add that I saw that sextet live in 1963 as a teenager, and later the quintet a couple of times. The quintet was great, but the excitement of the three horn front line, the visual effect of that front line when playing the heads, and the ability to have two horns behind a soloist were perhaps the highlight of my live jazz experience.

Tom

I was surprised that none of the sextet albums with Yusef Lateef were on the list of choices.

They are definitely my favorite Cannonball sessions.

On 12/17/2021 at 2:48 PM, Guy Berger said:

IMHO Lloyd's "complex" reputation with the jazz community would be much more positive if his 1960s recorded legacy had been limited to the Cannonball & Chico albums, the two Columbia albums, and Dream Weaver.

Understood, though I like some of his Atlantic work quite a bit, but the albums certainly were inconsistent.  The Columbia albums were really good.  The work with Chico Hamilton was my favorite Lloyd ( and my favorite Gabor Szabo).

On 12/17/2021 at 2:48 PM, Guy Berger said:

IMHO Lloyd's "complex" reputation with the jazz community would be much more positive if his 1960s recorded legacy had been limited to the Cannonball & Chico albums, the two Columbia albums, and Dream Weaver.

Hanging out with Mike Love couldn't have helped.