Art Farmer

Late

I just checked, and there was no general thread on Art Farmer. (The Mosaic has its thread, and Farmer's UA album was an AOTW.)

Here's an album of Farmer's that seems to get overlooked, if only because so many of his records have such high musical standards:

64129.jpg

Art Farmer Septet: Plays the Arrangements of Gigi Gryce and Quincy Jones

Sound Samples

Beautiful playing here. Check out the version of "When Your Lover Has Gone."

Other favorites? Who here had the chance to hear him live (and when)?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Art Farmer is a heavy cat. I'll admit to not really getting him at first. But once I "got it", I noticed that he has a lyrical quality to his lines that is actually quite deep. STYLINGS OF SILVER features him with Mobley; really looking forward to hearing Art and Hank on the Mobley Mosaic (is it Christmas yet?). Another good sideman appearance is on the BN album with Curtis Fuller (can't remember the title at the moment, it's on the Fuller Mosaic though). I'm slightly embarassed to say that I have zero Farmer-led sessions, but hope to rectify that problem in the near future. He was one hell of a trumpet player, though. Also invented the Flumpet.

I'd recommend a few of Farmer's later albums, with Clifford Jordan on several tracks:

Something to Live For: The Music of Billy Strayhorn - Contemporary CCD-14029

c55429s67i3.jpg

Blame It on My Youth - Contemporary CCD-14042

f61333v02cv.jpg

Ph.D. - Contemporary CCD-14055

c55650ed385.jpg

His later Jazztet-like albums with Curtis Fuller and Benny Golson:

Real Time - Contemporary CCD-14034

Back to the City - Contemporary/OJC OJCCD-842

aren't bad either :tup

I wish someone would reissue the nice Atlantic quartet albums! The live one, Interaction, the one with swedish songs, and what's the fourth one? They're all excellent!

Another favourite of mine is the "Jazztet meets John Lewis" album - maybe the Farmer album I love most.

I still have to get the Mosaic, but I do have several of the albums included, and they're all excellent!

ubu

How about those great 1970s sessions recorded for East Wind with Cedar Walton's trio (Walton, Sam Jones & Billy Higgins). 'To Duke With Love' and 'The Summer Knows'. Both beautifully recorded and with some absolutely fabulous ballad performances from Art. Also put out on vinyl by Inner City in the US.

There's also a nice album with strings on East Wind of this vintage called 'Maiden Voyage'.

I'll plug in two albums from a favorite label:

- 'Portrait of Art Farmer', fine quartet date with Hank Jones, brother Addison Farmer and Roy Haynes (Contemporary),

- 'On The Road' with Art Pepper, Hampton Hawes, Ray Brown and Shelly Manne and Steve Ellington alternating on drums (Contemporary).

Also with so many albums from CTI being reissued still wonder why the Art Farmer 'Live in Tokyo' that came out in Japan never left that country. Very good album with Jackie McLean, Cedar Walton, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins.

Mike just beat me with some of his scans.. but as I made them, I thought that I would put them up anyway .... Art Farmer was one of three musicians whose work I tried to be as "completist" as possible during my vinyl collecting years. I currently have about 50 CDs of his .... here are a few....

Edited by garthsj

Getting the "Jazz Casual" show is also a worthwhile addition. Farmer is soft-spoken, almost shy, but plays as fine as ever. Watching Jim Hall together with Steve Swallow is a treat, and Walter Perkins' feature at the end is also much fun.

The show's on this DVD, along with the "Jazz Casual" Mulligan and Pepper episodes ~

dvd~~~~~~~~_20thcentu_101b.jpg

Bards