Top Posters In This Topic

Several new items today:

Gerry Mulligan--Jeru

Ahmad Jamal--The Legendary Okeh and Epic Recordings

Woody Shaw--Stepping Stones: Live At The Village Vanguard

Bob Brookmeyer--Bob Brookmeyer & Friends

Horace Silver--Silver's Blue

Dexter Gordon--Manhattan Symphonie

This morning's USA Today had a big article on the Sony BMG problem, and said that the Mulligan, Silver and Gordon are copy protected with the spyware.

Several new items today:

Gerry Mulligan--Jeru

This morning's USA Today had a big article on the Sony BMG problem, and said that the Mulligan, Silver and Gordon are copy protected with the spyware.

The Brookmeyer apparently is, also. The Jamal is too full (80 minutes) to be copy-protected, and I don't believe the Shaw is, either. There appears to be a posse of Copy-Protection Avengers dropping one-star ratings and warnings on every copy-protected CD on Amazon, and they've hit the Brookmeyer (and the others), but left the Shaw alone.

I wonder if Sony/BMG will let yourmusic sell the CP discs given what's happened, or whether they'll sell new pressings without the CP?

I've read that the Shaw does not have the software as well, due to length.

I bet that BMG/yourmusic sells the discs with the software. . . why would they bother to make another edition?

Only because of all the controversy and potential legal issues with the software (for some reason the words "class action" come to mind :rolleyes: ) and, after all, yourmusic is part of the "family" that brought us this mess. Didn't Sony/BMG announce that they were ceasing production of CP discs? Of course, they could use the BMG-direct sellers as a dumping ground for the CP discs already produced, but from the perspective of bad PR and portential legal liability, they may decide that that would be more trouble than it's worth. Also, Microsoft's recent classification of the Sony CP software as "malicious" might encourage Sony/BMG not to sell the discs.

I bet that BMG/yourmusic sells the discs with the software. . . why would they bother to make another edition?

Since BMG owns half of Sony BMG, I imagine that this copy protection program must have been done with their approval. So presumably if they approved it at the production level, they would approve it for their own retail outlet. Just speculation, of course.

I would like to see a law requiring online retailers to prominently post a warning when a CD is copy protected. We shouldn't have to be surprised by Your Music when we receive what we've ordered.

There was an article that said SONY stopped the CP program.

Associated Press

November 12, 2005

latimes.com : Business

E-mail story Print Most E-mailed Small Text SizeSmall Text Size Regular Text SizeRegular Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Change text size

Sony BMG Pulls CD Anti-Piracy Software

From Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Stung by continuing criticism, Sony BMG Music Entertainment promised Friday to temporarily suspend making music CDs with anti-piracy technology that could leave computers vulnerable to hackers.

The world's second-largest music label defended its right to prevent customers from illegally copying music but said it would halt manufacturing CDs with the "XCP" technology as a precautionary measure.

"We also intend to reexamine all aspects of our content protection initiative to be sure that it continues to meet our goals of security and ease of consumer use," Sony said in a statement.

The anti-piracy technology, which works only on Windows computers, prevents customers from making more than a few copies of the CD and from loading the CD's songs onto Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod portable music players. Some other music players, which recognize Microsoft's proprietary music format, would work.

Sony's announcement came one day after security companies disclosed that hackers were distributing malicious programs over the Internet that exploited the anti-piracy technology's ability to avoid detection. Hackers discovered that they could effectively render their programs invisible by using names for computer files similar to the ones cloaked by the Sony technology.

A senior official for the Department of Homeland Security cautioned entertainment companies against discouraging piracy in ways that also made computers vulnerable. Stewart Baker, the department's assistant secretary for policy, did not cite Sony by name in his remarks Thursday but described industry efforts to install hidden files on consumers' computers.

"It's very important to remember that it's your intellectual property, it's not your computer," Baker said at a trade conference on piracy. "And in the pursuit of protection of intellectual property, it's important not to defeat or undermine the security measures that people need to adopt in these days."

Sony's program is included on about 20 music titles, including releases by Van Zant and the Bad Plus.

Security researchers have described Sony's technology as "spyware," saying that it is difficult to remove and that it transmits without warning details about what music is playing. They also say Sony's notice to consumers about the technology is inadequate. Sony executives have rejected the description of their technology as spyware.

Some leading anti-virus companies updated their protective software this week to detect Sony's anti-piracy program, disable it and prevent it from reinstalling.

Several new items today:

Gerry Mulligan--Jeru

Art Blakey -- Drum Suite

Several new items today:

Gerry Mulligan--Jeru

Art Blakey -- Drum Suite

Damn! That didn't show up under "New Arrivals"! Thanks! I wonder how many other new ones slip in under the radar? :blink:

And just made a panic order of Mother Ship to boot since it told me there will not be any copies available by the time the next queue slot ships.

My panic order of Mothership finally arrived today. It lingered in "not yet shipped" purgatory for more than a week, and I was beginning to wonder if it was going to be cancelled.

Guess I got lucky and got that order in before it disappeared. I really wish they gave us more time to react -- like Mosaic's "running low" and "last chance" categories.

Somebody may have already mentioned it in this thread, but if not -- "Monk's Music" is gone, too.