Name some Blue Note cds you find overrated

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright I'll play.....

'Am I Blue' made me want to retch. Johnny Coles' clams were too much to bear and the distortion on the lower end of the organ was way too distracting. I couldn't get into it at all.

'Blue John' also irked me when I picked it up and I promptly sold it. Not being familiar with Patton OR Braith, I was expecting something completely different..........Unfortunately I've since warmed up to Braith through his double disc Conn and I'm starting to enjoy what little Patton I've heard. I wish I still had 'Blue' <_<

That's why I keep everything now.

Edited by Templejazz

Jimmy Smiths "Open House"/ "Plain Talk"

Stanley Turrentine, "Rough N Tumble"

are just dull

:blink::blink::blink:

AWW Blue and Ike !!! Blue and Ike!! Ike man IKE!

As for 'Rough and Tumble' it is a little dull. In the liner notes to 'The Spoiler' it mentions that the two dates are similar but 'The Spoiler' is much more exciting. I haven't listened to 'Rough' a whole lot, I end up changing it to something else halfway into the second tune, but it probably has some redeeming qualities to it.

By the way ralphie_boy - keep your comments about Our Man In Paris to yourself :P - unless you plan on ruining my day further B)

Hey Ed, I actually love OUR MAN IN PARIS, ONE FLIGHT UP and Dexter in general. I guess GO falls into that overrated category for me (although I DO love his rendition of LOVE FOR SALE). I prefer the "grittiness" in his playing on sessions like OUR MAN... as opposed to the "smoothness" of GO.

Oh, man, Weizen is going to flip when he says what you said about Blue Train. He might have to sell all __ (fill in the number) copies that he has. :rhappy:

Go smooth? Cheesecake and Second Balcony Jump smooth? Ralphie, come back to us dude :o

Oh, man, Weizen is going to flip when he says what you said about Blue Train. He might have to sell all __ (fill in the number) copies that he has. :rhappy:

Go smooth? Cheesecake and Second Balcony Jump smooth? Ralphie, come back to us dude :o

I don't mean smooth as in Kenny G :) OUR MAN IN PARIS has more of an edge to it - Dexter's playing has a little more bite.

I also find "Rough and Tumble" disappointing, certainly a couple notches below most Turrentine.

As for "Open House/Plain Talk," I love it!! :g

I am a fan of both Eric Dolphy and Cecil Taylor, but somehow neither "Out to Lunch" nor "Unit Structures" have ever really quite done it for me. "Conquistador" is another matter!

For that matter, as much as I love Charles Mingus, "Black Saint and the Sinner Lady" just doesn't move me. I already mentioned "Giant Steps" as a Coltrane album that gets little play in my house. I have never got much pleasure from "Birth of the Cool." Even Sonny Rollins' "Night at the Vanguard," which I do like, doesn't send me to the same seventh heaven as it does many others.

I like "Go," but it not my favorite Dex.

I am a bit surprised that so many people don't like "Whistle Stop." For me, that is one of the truly GREAT Blue Notes. Philly Joe doesn't let up for one moment on that one.

Edited by John L

I am a bit surprised that so many people don't like "Whistle Stop." For me, that is one of the truly GREAT Blue Notes. Philly Joe doesn't let up for one moment on that one.

You can say that again!!

Incidentally, when does he ever let up? ;) I love his playing on Hank's 'No Room for Squares'. The driving sound he gets on that ride cymbal is majik. :rlol

The great thing about this thread is that obviously we don't agree on everything and it's like reading True Confessions: JAZZ FANS BARE ALL! Just hope there's no ax murdererers or worse here :g .

Cool Struttin' is a great cd, IMHO. Autumn Leaves on Somethin' Else is the gold standard for me. Lee Morgan's Standards I liked, particularly Blue Gardenia. Brownie, did you mean Alfred would have never released this because I believe it was recorded while he was in charge.

Brad, even if the CD notes state that the session was produced by Alfred Lion, the liner notes mention that the album was 'the brainchild of pianist/arranger and Blue Note A&R director Duke Pearson'.

This was recorded in early 1967 when jazz business was going down and obviously BN was looking for ways to survive (that ended in the summer when the label was sold to Liberty).

This may explain the concept behind the album. One week after the session, BN recorded

the 'Lush Life' album by Lou Donaldson. Donaldson was more adaptable than Morgan and

did a better job with the concept.

I gave 'Standards' a fresh hearing and I find once more that the choice of material does not really inspire Morgan. He just goes through the motion of playing the tunes.

The Morgan flame just does not burn here.

There were one or two Jimmy Smith's that were either ballad heavy or where he did covers of pop tunes of the day that I found to be real snoozers. I can't remember the title(s). I think I blocked that information out of self defense.

Are you referring to STANDARDS, released in '98? I kinda dig those sessions, even if, for the most part, they are more laid back than a typical Jimmy Smith session. Gotta love Kenny Burrell on these sides....

Okay, my confession. I don't really dig Wayne Shorter's "Speak No Evil". I enjoy some of the tunes on it, but don't care for Hubbard's playing on it. Can't help but wish Lee was blowing instead (might as well admit I don't really care for a lot of Hubbard's playing anyway. Not my place to say he's overrated, just preference I guess).