Your rarest possession in your music collection.

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a rare tape of Miles Davis sleeping.  It's mostly snoring, but at one point he seems to come to momentarily and mumbles something like "turn that motherfucker off before I..." and then the snoring starts again.

:lol:

Is the snoring all muted?

Only Harmon muted. And he stops snoring completely when Monk starts snoring.

Jokes aside, I have one of the thousand copies of Randy Weston's only LP on his own Bakton label.

Some musician-produced LPs might be pretty rare, by Jay Clayton, Jane Ira Bloom, Lloyd McNeill - there are two LPs by bassist Terry Plumeri with John Abercrombie, Herbie Hancock etc that I never saw again.

I have stayed out of this being on the fringes of "semi-pro", but I have master tapes, acetates, dats of masters/acetates, dubs of master tapes - you get the idea.

How about a duo of Hershal Evans and Mary Lou Williams?

AND the Diz/Bird Uptown stuff. :P:P:P

AND I used to have the Coltrane Records release of "Cosmic Music". Got a thousand for that baby. :D

I have something...it's actually a little hard to describe. It's an English 3-LP set called "Revelations." Came out around 1973. It was to raise funds for the Glastonbury Fayre. Some tracks were recorded there (care to hear 24 minutes of the Edgar Broughton Band sing "Out, Demons, Out!"?), others were donated, the most notable being the Dead doing a really out version of Dark Star from their Europe '72 tour. There's also all this stuff inside the package: booklets, pyramids, what have you.

Guest ariceffron

why hadnt anyone answered??? i know you guys have interesting collections....why dont you list all that unissued blue note stuff-- i know i know you guys are too shiesty to even acknowledge you have it...but ill list some of mine i guess

my live hank from 1968 (5 cds worth) is probably the rarest thing i havebut as far as offically pressed records, id have say um...i dunno i have this one asch 78 of art tatum, isnt that rare. have some a lot of 50s blue note 45s like the blakey/sabu jam, but i duno if thats rare either. what about jimmy smith plays fats waller? um...i have that sir charles thompson on the organ lp-- heard thats rare...i need a guide

I have a rare tape of Miles Davis sleeping.  It's mostly snoring, but at one point he seems to come to momentarily and mumbles something like "turn that motherfucker off before I..." and then the snoring starts again.

In '86, a guy I used to work with showed me a picture of Miles

vacuuming his carpet while in his, admittedly, fancy robe.

He told me that a friend of his worked for one of these Photomat Huts

and he couldn't resist making extra copies.

Rod

Outside a fair number of OOP Mosaics and given that the scarcity of my complete set of Don Pullen BN's was almost totally negated by the recent release of the Pullen Select, I'd guess two James Newton BN's, "Romance and Revolution" and "The African Flower."

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Probably not all that rare, and probably not worth a king’s ransom -- but in some ways, my most prized jazz-related possession is maybe Duke's autograph. Not such a big deal, except my mother personally asked "Mr. Ellington" for his autograph when she was in college, back in the early-to-mid 50's. She was on the concert committee that booked him for the gig.

He was very apologetic about the band not wearing their "A" suits, as they were off at the cleaners. Mom said their "B" duds were as nice as any band she'd ever seen, and wouldn't have ever noticed except for the fact he mentioned it. She said he was an absolute gentlemen, and a real pleasure to have spoken with, even if only briefly.

Oh, she had him autograph the back of the year-long concert pass, which was for four concerts. Three were punched on her ticket, so she must have missed one of the shows.

A few years ago, she had it framed, along with an article from the local paper describing his visit. (It wasn't a review, so much as a preview of the concert.)

I never even knew she had the thing until 6 or 7 years after I got deeply into jazz. It came as a COMPLETE surprise to me when I got it for Christmas one year. Thanks Mom!!!! :wub:

Edited by Rooster_Ties