What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/5/2023 at 7:47 AM, Matthew said:

Star Trek The Next Generation. Reconnecting with Star Trek after years of being away from it.

star-trek-next-generation-season-2-heade

This is a fairly rare season 2 shot. Diana Muldaur's Dr. Pulaski (a character I liked a lot) only appeared in that season. Great series!

I'm finishing up season 3 of this one:

610keLOkqsL._AC_UY218_.jpg

81tVQr-1J8L._AC_UY436_QL65_.jpg

I was surprised that this series only ran four seasons, I could have sworn it was longer. I don't know if I started watching it during season 2 or 3, but none of the season 1 shows bring back any memories. I just finished the 24th episode of season 1. I get a kick out of the guest stars, which include Michael Dunn as Dr. Miguelito Loveless (a recurring villain), his henchman Voltaire (played by Richard Kiel), others included Don Rickles as a Satanic magician, Burgess Meredith, John Dehner and a lot of veteran character actors whose faces I knew though not necessarily their names. The fight scenes are low budget, as Robert Conrad did his own stunts, but the doubles for the guest star villains were about as believable as those fighting Captain Kirk on the original Star Trek series.

Edited by Ken Dryden

13 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

81tVQr-1J8L._AC_UY436_QL65_.jpg

I was surprised that this series only ran four seasons, I could have sworn it was longer. I don't know if I started watching it during season 2 or 3, but none of the season 1 shows bring back any memories. I just finished the 24th episode of season 1. I get a kick out of the guest stars, which include Michael Dunn as Miguelito Loveless (a recurring villain), his henchman Voltaire (played by Richard Kiel), others included Don Rickles as a Satanic magician, Burgess Meredith, John Dehner and a lot of veteran character actors whose faces I knew though not necessarily their names. The fight scenes are low budget, as Robert Conrad did his own stunts, but the doubles for the guest star villains were about as believable as those fighting Captain Kirk on the original Star Trek series.

Victor Buono was my favorite villain in that series, but then, I liked him in everything he did. Conrad was so disgusted by the dreadful movie supposedly made from the series that he showed up in person to receive that movie's Razzie for worst film of the year!

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

Victor Buono was my favorite villain in that series, but then, I liked him in everything he did. Conrad was so disgusted by the dreadful movie supposedly made from the series that he showed up in person to receive that movie's Razzie for worst film of the year!

Buono was in the pilot, he really camped it up.

An even worse film made after a series ended was “Homcide: Life on the Streets.” Every regular cast member was included, even those whose characters were killed off or written out. But the writing and the plot line were very unsatisfactory, especially the ending.

Edited by Ken Dryden

I remember when that originally aired. Linda Day George wrote about how hard doing the show was on her husband Christopher’s back. The Germans were almost comical with their inability to fight the enemy in the series. Soap opera star Eric Braden was still using his birth name of Hans Gudegast (spelled something like that) back then.

On 9/13/2023 at 4:27 AM, Ken Dryden said:

I remember when that originally aired. Linda Day George wrote about how hard doing the show was on her husband Christopher’s back. The Germans were almost comical with their inability to fight the enemy in the series. Soap opera star Eric Braden was still using his birth name of Hans Gudegast (spelled something like that) back then.

Yeah, it was like "Combat!" The Germans would all jump from behind rocks and trees so they could all get drilled by the heroes of the show. I often wondered what real vets of the war thought of that. I bet they *wished* the enemy would have done that!

They don't just gun them down, they mow them down, gangster style. It's a bit amazing, and not really in a fun way.

And yet I watch. The lack of dialogue pulls me in before the slaughter begins 

I much prefer Lucas McCain or Paladin's thoughtful, measured approach to killing other humans on TV.