Che banned?

I would welcome an additional forum rule that makes it explicit that any racist or otherwise discriminating shit results in an immediate ban. I would also welcome if such unhealthy crap be deleted pronto. It rubs off. I for one do not like to be associated with an internet forum that allows for racist crap to stay up for all to read, be it in a closed section or not. I doubt it does the band much good either.

Couldn't agree more.

I have mixed feelings on this. Who decides what is racist or discriminating? (Well, obviously Jim and Use, but you know what I mean.) I understand the feelings, but I also fear the results...

I'm with Moose 100% on this.

Let's not rule with a heavy hand here...

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chaney

Chaney, Maren, Catesta, couw, et al,

My regrets & apologies if you feel I was not sensitive enough to your grievances in this whole messy matter.

Best,

David

Hey, speaking for myself, not a problem my friend.

I also offer my apology as my last preachy post directed to you (above) bothered me. It's a thin line between explaining your position and trying to convince the other person that he's incorrect or wrong to feel the way he does. My post crossed over that line. Sorry 'bout that.

As someone that was a *wee little bit* (striving for "understatement of the month", I guess...) involved, I cannot but fully agree with couw. That is, on the wounds that cannot be healed by time (check Chris.Marker's "Sans soleil" for a bit more on that topic) and on all the other points he made (freedom of speach, new rules etc).

I never really straightened things out with him. Here's the story: he dropped a PM, I dropped one back, making my points again, he replied telling me he was too tired and will he deal with it the next day. I gave a lot of thoughts on how to answer without having to lie, and without apology (there was no reason for that, in my book - I merely stated my anger about his anti-semitic crap, and kept maintaining I was no bully, which was his attack against me). However, once I saw his usual rubbish-posts the next day (his authistic "Thank you for your post. I enjoyed reading it"-routine, as if the board was just there to make him enjoy himself or what), I decided I had no reason to get back at him, but rather took a step back from the whole affair (and that meant all the board, except for - bad, very bad, timing - my BFT-thread, which he almost spoilt, too, but I tried to be there, regularly, at least). I haven't really felt like stepping into full action since. There has just been too much b-s going on.

I do thank everybody who sent me supportive and kind PMs, though. I really appreciated that. However, a couple of things have just gone wrong in my book in a way that was far over the top, and it will take time to accept that, and I guess - that's the deal with time not healing those wounds - it will never be fully forgotten. Now call me a crybaby again, if you will <_< .

I would welcome an additional forum rule that makes it explicit that any racist or otherwise discriminating shit results in an immediate ban. I would also welcome if such unhealthy crap be deleted pronto. It rubs off. I for one do not like to be associated with an internet forum that allows for racist crap to stay up for all to read, be it in a closed section or not. I doubt it does the band much good either.

Couldn't agree more.

I have mixed feelings on this. Who decides what is racist or discriminating? (Well, obviously Jim and Use, but you know what I mean.) I understand the feelings, but I also fear the results...

While I understand and respect people's sensitivity about this kind of stuff, I think the board benefits from people bringing aboard stupid views and getting castigated by the other members. Deleting the more controversial Che threads would be unfortunate because any rational person reading them would see intelligence triumphing over stupid bigotry.

Guy

I never read the "worst of Che" since I decided to ignore him early on. I tried a search of the "political" forum and got nowhere, so I guess it is gone. I think this is a mistake.

I saw his postings to the Atsmon (sp) thread and found him to be "very clever" in the way he formed his sentences. I wanted to see the other material.

Hate and it's children need to be exposed, not denied.

I really disagree with the deletion, if that was done.

Fresh air kills many bacteria.

I never read the "worst of Che" since I decided to ignore him early on. I tried a search of the "political" forum and got nowhere, so I guess it is gone. I think this is a mistake.

I saw his postings to the Atsmon (sp) thread and found him to be "very clever" in the way he formed his sentences. I wanted to see the other material.

Hate and it's children need to be exposed, not denied.

I really disagree with the deletion, if that was done.

Fresh air kills many bacteria.

Stated very eloquently, Chuck!

Guy

Same here.

I'm against deletions and banishments (I still disagree with Aric's permanent banning from the Board even if he went way over the yellow line...).

The offensive posts should stay. The followups to these posts show how they were received (and treated in due fashion) by the people here!

FWIW, Che has already been banned from Jazzcorner. 

There's always Blue Note Europe, I guess.  :blink:  Looks like that may become the home for all the Bobby Fischers of the jazz BBS world.

That was quick. How did he manage to get himself banned within a couple of days? I guess his reputation preceeded him.

The offensive posts should stay. The followups to these posts show how they were received (and treated in due fashion) by the people here!

I agree. I read the archives for some months before signing up. Seeing how differences of opinion were handled helped me get a sense of this place: Quick wits, sharp tongues, and underlying decency. A winning combination, as far as I'm concerned.

FWIW, Che has already been banned from Jazzcorner. 

There's always Blue Note Europe, I guess.  :blink:  Looks like that may become the home for all the Bobby Fischers of the jazz BBS world.

That was quick. How did he manage to get himself banned within a couple of days? I guess his reputation preceeded him.

Probably after he started a short-lived thread about the death of the Pope entitled "The Pulp Is Dead".

Up and gone in less than 12 hours, I think.

I read the archives for some months before signing up.  Seeing how differences of opinion were handled helped me get a sense of this place:  Quick wits, sharp tongues, and underlying decency.  A winning combination, as far as I'm concerned.

Well said. I did the same thing being I joined and agree with you.

I read the archives for some months before signing up.  Seeing how differences of opinion were handled helped me get a sense of this place:  Quick wits, sharp tongues, and underlying decency.  A winning combination, as far as I'm concerned.

Well said. I did the same thing being I joined and agree with you.

I lurked on the BNBB for two years before I joined. I read just about every post on that board. I think it is important to have an understanding of a community before you join in.

There's always the Norah Jones forum... :ph34r:

So what did Che do to get banned at JC, and is that officially a new record for quickest banning? Is there a thread over there someone can point me to?

I was just over there myself - what can I say? I stop and stare at car wrecks too.

Any offensive posts must have already been removed. Only his annoying stuff remains.

I'm wondering if Che can read this forum while being banned, If so he must be proud of himself - He caused such a big havoc without even participating!!!

As for myself, I had disagreed with him about some things (Israel Zionism, Middle Eastern history etc...), but I also found some things that we could talk about and even a couple we had in common.

If I understand correctly that he asked to be banned, it is (in my opinion) stupid but it is also regrettable.

What did irritate me the most about him was the Smiling picture of Che. THAT I DON'T miss!!!