July '05 Mosaic Running Low & Last Chance

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The O'Day set is on my list. As of today, there are 185 copies left and will be available until they sell out. I also asked if there would be a summer sale and was told no sale this year.

Ugh, when I talked with Mosaic 3 days ago they said they had about 100 O'Day sets left. I guess if you are going to order it, you'd better do it soon since the amount they have left depends on who you speak with.

Just received Ory, O'Day and JJ sets, and gave a couple of O'Day and JJ Cds a spin - essential music indeed. 

(Un)interestignly enough, all three sets are unnumbered.

Green with envy! I already have the J.J. (fantastic set, and definitely one of my favourites!), but I can only afford the O'Day for now, not the Ory. Why do these sets run out so fast these days? :(

Starting MSIE to order now... won't work with Opera, for some reason.

That leaves the Buck Clayton and Eddie Condon sets, I guess.

Everything on the Condon Mosaic has come out on Collectables twofers. Nothing from the Buck Clayton though, and I wonder if that may have to do with the plentiful and tricky edits that were on the original LPs? Mosaic released complete takes as they were recorded as far as posssible.

Re Eddie Condon

Could you point me in the right direction. I am aware of 3 two-fors. That takes care of 6 LPs.

Sorry, I was taking it straight from memory, since I researched the availability of material on several OOP Mosaic sets some time ago, but I must have confused it with something else, because it’s obviously not true that everything from the Condon Mosaic is available on Collectables twofers.

That said, the vast majority of the Condon Mosaic has come out on single CDs. Let’s take a look at it:

The following albums have been released on Collectables:

Jam Session Coast-To-Coast (half of which isn’t on the Mosaic)

Jammin' At Condon's

Bixieland

Treasury Of Jazz

The Roaring Twenties

Midnight In Moscow

Now as for those you mention:

But what about

1) DIXIELAND JAM  ($50.00 being asked for used LP)

Dixieland Jam was not an original album, but a late 80s compilation that came out on both LP and CD (I have the CD). It included 7 tracks of 12 from The Roaring Twenties, and 7 tracks of 12 from Chicago, My Home Town, plus one alternate take of China Boy. It should also be noted that this compilation included the complete original take of What’s The Use, which had a bad ending, whereas Chicago, My Home Town as well as the Mosaic set used an insert ending. Dixieland Jam is OOP now, but it can be bought on Amazon Marketplace (currently from 25.99$).

2) NEWPORT Jazz Festival 1956

This made up half an LP originally, the first half being by Louis Armstrong. The Armstrong portion has been out on CD, but from the Condon portion only one track (Bye And Bye) has been out as far as I know (it’s on the Happy Birthday Newport 3-CD set Columbia put out last year).

3) CHICAGO my home town

As mentioned above 7 of the 12 tracks were on the 1989 CD Dixieland Jam. An alternate take of The Minor Drag from 1957, plus one four-track session from 1962 are what remains to be released from this album. It must have been a very rare release, by the way. AMG doesn’t list it, and a Google search only points to the Mosaic discography.

4) JAZZ OMNIBUS    ($24.00 being asked for used LP)

This album only included one Condon track, Original Dixieland One Step, an outtake from the 1956 ’Treasury Of Jazz’ sessions.

So what hasn’t been on CD other than on the Mosaic set, is one outtake from 1956, the live session from 1956 (save one track), an alternate take and an insert ending from 1957, and four tracks plus an alternate from 1962.

Right now picking up the OOP Mosaic set would be the only way to get those tracks on CD. However, it's worth keeping in mind that the resurrected Classics label has a Condon series that has reached 1953, and since the 1956 tracks will fall into the public domain in less than 1½ years, we could see them out on Classics fairly soon actually. The 1962 tracks may take longer of course.

Once again, sorry for misleading you in the earlier post. Getting older does odd things to one's memory...

30$ for shipping  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

and then add another 35$ or more for them custom fellas... ruinous!

I almost fainted when I saw how they adjusted their shipping charges to Europe ... :(

Same here! Crazy indeed! Now if they had cheapo prizes and crazy shipping (as 2001 has for the 'mericans), I would not bitch... but this is a little bit too much! And I went for US postal services (since I would not be home anyway when DHL or UPS or whoever delivers), and that still takes 2-4 weeks! For that, 30$ is way too much, no?

The Kid Ory set arrived yesterday, only 7 days after I ordered it! And no duties charged either (in which case it would have taken much longer for me to get it too)! Wohoo!

I listened to the first session, the French concert, today, and it was what I expected. I actually think Hadlock is overly critical of this concert in his notes; I suppose I just don't hear it the way he does, and to my ears Ory and the guys play with a lot of inspiration and drive here, and the audience obviously loves it. (Hadlock is right about the bass being underrecorded though).

What surprised me is that this 1956 European live recording is in stereo. My impression otherwise is that stereo came a lot later to Europe than to the US.

One more thing: The original liner notes (not present on the Mosaic set) mention that "One can hear Ory making his own announcements, some in English and occasionally even in his delightful Creole French." One can't hear that on the Mosaic though. Apparently Mosaic doesn't like spoken introductions, since they have deleted them not only from this Ory set, but also from the George Lewis set, the Louis Armstrong set, and also I think from the Elvin Jones set. I wonder why? I had had the George Lewis Concert! album on LP for a long time and it just wasn't the same thing when some of it was gone.

By the way, my copy of Ory is number 0802 of 5000. Does that indicate that it has sold badly? It's a shame, if so.

Thanks for your clarification Swinging Swede. It's much appreciated.

As for getting older, I don't buy green bananas anymore.

Here's one of my favorite Swedish albums:

Evergreens with Ove Lind, Bengt Hallberg and Staffan Broms.

Edited by StormP

I almost fainted when I saw how they adjusted their shipping charges to Europe ... :(

Same here! Crazy indeed! Now if they had cheapo prizes and crazy shipping (as 2001 has for the 'mericans), I would not bitch... but this is a little bit too much! And I went for US postal services (since I would not be home anyway when DHL or UPS or whoever delivers), and that still takes 2-4 weeks! For that, 30$ is way too much, no?

According to the latest Mosaic brochure their international airmail shipping rates are:

order value up to $40: $12

order value $41 - $100: $23

order value $101 - $200: $30

order value $201 - $300: $35

order value exceeds $300: $45

Edited by J.A.W.

I agree, it's a pity the option of slow but cheaper surface mail is now only available for orders less than $100.

I can't quite believe I stumped up $30 over 10 days ago to ship the O'Day set and I still haven't received it !!! Higher prices and slower service don't bode well really !! :tdown

I agree, it's a pity the option of slow but cheaper surface mail is now only available for orders less than $100.

I can't quite believe I stumped up $30 over 10 days ago to ship the O'Day set and I still haven't received it !!! Higher prices and slower service don't bode well really !! :tdown

I guess U.K. Customs is very happy with your order...

Undoubtably, surface items often would bypass their scrutiny where as airmail or fedex always get taxed.

Undoubtably, surface items often would bypass their scrutiny where as airmail or fedex always get taxed.

That's exactly the experience I made... :angry:

Yeah, there's just no way that anyone could not like Anita's vocals. (Though the same can be said for J.J.'s bone playing.) It's only a question of whether you want so many discs by the same singer.

Either way, I had the J.J., I just got the Anita, and I'm pleased as punch! :P