July '05 Mosaic Running Low & Last Chance

I hope you'll pardon my ignorance and my lateness in getting involved in this thread, but...how much of the J.J. Johnson set is otherwise unavailable on CD and how much is otherwise readily available??

Thanks!

The bulk of the set is currently not available on individual CDs in the United States.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered the Kid Ory earlier this week. It was the top priority for me of these sets. I'm confident it will be excellent, and it will be nice to hear such a jazz pioneer (born 1886!) in modern stereo sound. Plus nothing of it is available on individual CDs. After it has gone OOP I hope Mosaic will do a George Lewis Verve box. Nothing of his Verve albums on CD either.

I plan to get the J.J. Johnson box too eventually. I noticed that it contains a lot of previously unissued material, so even if Collectables start to put out twofers of Johnson's original Columbia albums (as they did with Condon for example) there is still a lot on it that may not become available again. However, with 700 copies left, I think there is no need to hurry just yet.

I'm not much of a vocalist fan, so I hadn't really planned to get the O'Day. But I must say that the extensive praise this set gets intrigues me. But it is a lot of money to spend to get all of these sets, and as mentioned, other sets may become endangered soon too. Hmm, I have to think really hard about this. But not for too long apparently, since the O'Day will likely be gone in a day or two!

I ordered the Kid Ory earlier this week. It was the top priority for me of these sets. I'm confident it will be excellent, and it will be nice to hear such a jazz pioneer (born 1886!) in modern stereo sound. Plus nothing of it is available on individual CDs. After it has gone OOP I hope Mosaic will do a George Lewis Verve box. Nothing of his Verve albums on CD either.

I plan to get the J.J. Johnson box too eventually. I noticed that it contains a lot of previously unissued material, so even if Collectables start to put out twofers of Johnson's original Columbia albums (as they did with Condon for example) there is still a lot on it that may not become available again. However, with 700 copies left, I think there is no need to hurry just yet.

I'm not much of a vocalist fan, so I hadn't really planned to get the O'Day. But I must say that the extensive praise this set gets intrigues me. But it is a lot of money to spend to get all of these sets, and as mentioned, other sets may become endangered soon too. Hmm, I have to think really hard about this. But not for too long apparently, since the O'Day will likely be gone in a day or two!

Could be gone by early next week if it keeps selling like it is. I'd order it online, then think about it. Call Monday morning to cancel if you have second thoughts. But then again, it's not my money. :cool:

I have been listening to O'Day all night on the Stan Kenton (1943-47) Mosaic set. Although I am not a big vocal jazz fan, she definitely has something special. Her contribution to the Stan Kenton Mosaic is brilliant. If the O'Day Mosaic set is as good as the stuff she recorded with Kenton, I am going to love every minute of it! :tup:wub:

Edited by ASNL77

I have been listening to O'Day all night on the Stan Kenton (1943-47) Mosaic set. Although I am not a big vocal jazz fan, she definitely has something special. Her contribution to the Stan Kenton Mosaic is brilliant. If the O'Day Mosaic set is as good as the stuff she recorded with Kenton, I am going to love every minute of it!  :tup  :wub:

I'm not a vocal jazz fan either but I thing the stuff Anita O'Day recorded for Verve is much better than her recordings with Kenton. You'll love it.

I may be totally off-base here, but I have a sense that there would be a better chance of Columbia (Sony) re-releasing some of the JJJ stuff after the Mosaic goes OOP than Verve or Clef (who owns the Clef material?) releasing much, if any, of the O'Day music.

I may be totally off-base here, but I have a sense that there would be a better chance of Columbia (Sony) re-releasing some of the JJJ stuff after the Mosaic goes OOP than Verve or Clef (who owns the Clef material?) releasing much, if any, of the O'Day music.

Maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Of the labels with big catalogs, only Blue Note seems to be making a concerted effort to reissue Mosaic material. What other Columbia Mosaics (not counting the Miles sets) have had material reissued post-Mosaic? Only the Woody Shaw comes to mind at the moment.

Edit: Ok, the Mingus stuff has also come out, obviously, but the Mingus dates generally have a reputation as essentials that the JJs don't really have. That leaves the Buck Clayton and Eddie Condon sets, I guess.

Edited by Big Wheel

That leaves the Buck Clayton and Eddie Condon sets, I guess.

Everything on the Condon Mosaic has come out on Collectables twofers. Nothing from the Buck Clayton though, and I wonder if that may have to do with the plentiful and tricky edits that were on the original LPs? Mosaic released complete takes as they were recorded as far as posssible.

Anita arrived at my house in Medford on Friday,

and I cannot listen

I am moving to Tillamook for work

and currently (sitting in the Shilo Inn) ignoring all my training material

I was house hunting earlier

but I stopped to play 9 holes on the local coarse

It will be three weeks before I can get back and get my music

at least I have something to look forward to

after the move.

Maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Of the labels with big catalogs, only Blue Note seems to be making a concerted effort to reissue Mosaic material. What other Columbia Mosaics (not counting the Miles sets) have had material reissued post-Mosaic? Only the Woody Shaw comes to mind at the moment.

Edit: Ok, the Mingus stuff has also come out, obviously, but the Mingus dates generally have a reputation as essentials that the JJs don't really have. That leaves the Buck Clayton and Eddie Condon sets, I guess.

Of course.........I'm also trying to justify why I'm not buying JJJ, too. ^_^

That leaves the Buck Clayton and Eddie Condon sets, I guess.

Everything on the Condon Mosaic has come out on Collectables twofers. Nothing from the Buck Clayton though, and I wonder if that may have to do with the plentiful and tricky edits that were on the original LPs? Mosaic released complete takes as they were recorded as far as posssible.

Re Eddie Condon

Could you point me in the right direction. I am aware of 3 two-fors. That takes care of 6 LPs.

But what about

1) DIXIELAND JAM ($50.00 being asked for used LP)

2) NEWPORT Jazz Festival 1956

3) CHICAGO my home town

4) JAZZ OMNIBUS ($24.00 being asked for used LP)

Are the above also on two-fors?

Actually, I think over time a lot of the O'Day material WILL come out on Verve International; already some dates have been out, at a pace that makes me think more will be forthcoming, there are Japanese releases, and some of these cdan be downloaded from the Verve Vault at a bargain (10 dollars for a digital facimile of a Japanese POCJ cd is a good deal!)

The Kid Ory set that I ordered Tuesday morning arrived today, and I was a little surprised that the number was so low - 812.  I imagine that this will end up being one of the rarest Mosaics.

Now I am off to listen to Disc 1.

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this set (not that I am going to pull the trigger or anything.. ;) )

sidewinder,

I only had the chance to listen to the first three discs of the Ory set over the weekend, and I am afraid that I have relatively little to add in terms of insight to the thoughtful analyses provided in prior threads (links provided by LAL and montg on pages 2 and 7 of this thread respectively).

The sound is excellent, and the sidemen, for the most part, are worthy bandmates to Ory. I am very glad to have this set, but I will stop short of saying that it is essential. Eight CD's is quite a lot of music. Of course, if you are a hardcore traditional jazz enthusiast, you may well disagree on this point.

Actually, I think over time a lot of the O'Day material WILL come out on Verve International; already some dates have been out, at a pace that makes me think more will be forthcoming,  there are Japanese releases, and some of these cdan be downloaded from the Verve Vault at a bargain (10 dollars for a digital facimile of a Japanese POCJ cd is a good deal!)

Are these Verve Vault downloads wav or mp3 files. If they are mp3's I don't think $10.00 is a good deal!

StormP says: Hands of Hans Island!