Your next Mosaic set

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My next Mosaic will be the Lou Donaldson set. Can anyone tell me whether it represents some of his best work?

I bought the Roach and Stitt sets on Wednesday. Oh, I am high on anticipation (come on, postman, deliver tomorrow . . . ). I have three stereos in my house, and I'm so stoked that I might just play three discs at once just to get it all in the body more quickly.

Edited by martini

• 1 month later...

I'm on the fence with the Lou Donaldson set myself. On the one hand, I listened to him play with Blakey and Brownie on that Birdland concert and he was smokin'. But on the other hand, I've read pretty negative things about the sound quality.

Also undecided about the Stitt set due to all the alternate takes... though for some reason I had no problem with them on the VeeJay Mosaics, I guess because I was already a fan of those musicians before I bought the box sets and I don't really know much about Stitt.

Today I'm ordering the Jazztet set.

Re: the Paul Chambers Select- I bought it and sold it because I can't stand bowed bass solos. Yes, I know, I should have thought of that before buying the set. Oh well.

I have the Stitt... and from what I remember there are not that many alternate takes... In my opinion... this is a MUST HAVE Mosaic.... I was on the fence for a long time with this due to the size and cost... but I have to say.. I'm really glad I have it... If you like plain-ole quartet be-bop..... then you'll should like this set... If the quartet thing will get to you... then don't get it.... but I for one... and very glad I did....

Also undecided about the Stitt set due to all the alternate takes... though for some reason I had no problem with them on the VeeJay Mosaics, I guess because I was already a fan of those musicians before I bought the box sets and I don't really know much about Stitt.

I'm on the fence with the Lou Donaldson set myself. On the one hand, I listened to him play with Blakey and Brownie on that Birdland concert and he was smokin'. But on the other hand, I've read pretty negative things about the sound quality.

Yes. I've read certain opinions on this board regarding the negative sound quality of the Lou Donaldson Mosaic. The sound seems a little 'narrow' but after a couple of tunes you no longer notice it. You do, however, notice and enjoy the hell out of Lou's playing.

I'm thinking about the Patton Select.

Any fans?

/Shaft

Yeah, great stuff. It's just a funky good time; musical ear candy. Though the last session is not quite successful, the rest if straight-on organ blues/jazz, with a more gutbucket feel than any other organ player I've heard (not that I've heard that many as I'm not a connoisseur of organ jazz).

I'll mull on the Stitt and LD decisions for a while... I'm sure the Jazztet set will keep my quite busy for a while.

The three selects I'm left pondering are:

1. Andrew Hill

I just got the old full box set of his earlier work and after listening to the first four albums (which include the famous Black Fire and Point of Departure), I am sad to say that they haven't yet caught me. When I read about his music it seemed like exactly what I'd really dig but so far I just can't get into it. Some of the compositions seem more "clever" than genuinely interesting and his playing is like Monk-lite + wannabe-Hancock or something...

I'm gonna listen to various sessions every day for a while but won't consider the Select unless I fall in love with this music first.

2. Art Pepper

My Pepper collection is pretty much non-existent so I dunno if I should jump in withe Select.

3. Dexter Gordon

Dex is the man! His Blue Note and Prestige recordings get regular rotation here so I'm sure I'll get the Select eventually, though I may seek out the Steeplechase recordings first.

Like most folks here I lean on bop for most of my listening pleasure so I only have some interesting in old-timey jazz and big band music. I think the Basie Mosaics are a bit much, and as I already have enough of his pre-1950 material I think I'll just pick up his best post-1950 albums (Atomic Basie and April in Paris to start with).

Gerry Mulligan looks interesting but don't know enough about him to decide if I want any of the Mosaics yet.

And then there's the set with Bix and Jackie T... again, I definitely need representation of these guys in the collection...

Yes. I've read certain opinions on this board regarding the negative sound quality of the Lou Donaldson Mosaic. The sound seems a little 'narrow' but after a couple of tunes you no longer notice it. You do, however, notice and enjoy the hell out of Lou's playing.

Don't hesitate, the LD Mosaic is really great. I often play it. :tup

Don't hesitate, the LD Mosaic is really great. I often play it. :tup

The music is great, but to my ears the sound isn't, it's maximized like hell with hardly any dynamics left. But if you don't mind that, get it, you won't regret it.