Youtube.com

Aggie87

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

EDIT: Wanted to see what year this clip would be from, since Cavett said he was 81, and Wiki, the be all and end all of thuth, said he died at 74! One more joke of his that keeps on giving I guess! :crazy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Venuti

Here's another part of the show as well.

Edited by BERIGAN

I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask my question: does anybody know how to grab excerpts of video in AVI format from a DVD? People seem to do this all the time in order to post said excerpts on YouTube but I haven't a clue what software they use or anything.

Tom, do you have a PC or a MAC???

I was clueless as how to do this as well, til I got a new computer last summer. Along with Vista, I also got a few free programs such as Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe and Windows Movie Maker.

Looks like you can get only a 30 day free trail download of the Cyberlink program

http://www.download.com/CyberLink-PowerDir...4-10483012.html

But you can download Windows movie maker for free.

http://www.download.com/Windows-Movie-Make...l?tag=mncol;pop

I am NOT saying this is the best way to do it, just way I found easiest. (And if you decide to go with these programs, I can go into much more detail via PM)

After much cussing, I found I could use the cyberlink software to capture clips from DVD's I had made(If you want to make clips off of copy protected discs, you will need to download something like DVD43 -it's free and amazingly easy to use) But, those clips were not edited. And I don't know if it's their software that sucks, or because there are some functions that aren't available without upgrading, but I just hated trying to edit the clips. Don't know how I figured out I could take the clips(they would automatically end up in my Documents folder) drag or copy them to Windows Media player, and very easily edit clips (Little split button on the right side hid from me at first) then "Publish" the clip in it's new form, and it would show up in my Video folder. They are WMV' clips, but they transfer nicely to youtube, with good quality. You could get some software to transfer them to AVI if you have your heart set on that, but most of the "free" software either puts a trademark on the clip, or stupid audio noise, till you cough up $30+ to buy their product.

Since I haven't slept yet, I am a bit foggy at 9 :15 in the AM, if I am not making much sense, again I can talk more about it later. I just found few forum tech guys could explain it in any way I could understand, so was tickled to find a way to do it that didn't require me to get a computer science degree!

Here is the latest clip I put up on Youtube, a George E. Stoll jazzy number from the late 20's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lfJ0MtZ_bE (If you click on High quality, below the clip on the right hand side, it really makes a difference in quality.

Watch, after writing all this, someone will mention some super simple all in one free program! :rfr

I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask my question: does anybody know how to grab excerpts of video in AVI format from a DVD? People seem to do this all the time in order to post said excerpts on YouTube but I haven't a clue what software they use or anything.

Tom, I use SUPER (for pc):

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

You just have to grab-past your vob file from the dvd, give the details on the divx Format and it works quite fine and fast. Not the most efficient way of converting a dvd to an avi file, but a good compromise. And I use virtualdub (part of neodivx) to cut the files properly. With both softwares, i don't care too much about video quality but try to keep the audio quality as good as in the original dvd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In honor of the freezing cold weather that has blown in this week, I've been enjoying this 1951 clip of Sinatra singing "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm." It's a fascinating clip to me, because it seems to capture the nascent beginnings of the grown-up tom cat approach to swinging standards that defined the upcoming Capitol era. You can almost sense him inventing it on the spot. Lots of signature moments -- in the third A section of the first chorus he connects the line "So I will weather the storm/what do I care" without a breath to create one ridiculously long phrase. He really lays back the first time he does it, and the time almost gets away from him. He does the same trick on the final A of the tune (with more secure time), and then uses the "lookey-here now" interjection as a kind of climatic tag. I like the arrangment too -- anyone know who did it? -- and the pianist plays some hip shit starting in the second bridge. Another interesting detail is that in that final A, Sinatra unbottons his jacket and flips open his collar as he sings, "My hearts on fire/with one desire." That's obviously a deliberate gesture -- a tiny piece of theater.

Edited by Mark Stryker