Summer 2006 RVGs

mgraham333

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1985 Manhattan DMM pressing was the first issue with the original Reid Miles cover.

The session was originally issued in 1976 on a Freddie Hubbard twofer that also came out under the title 'Here To Stay' and which had this session plus the 'Hub Cap' session.

The session was scheduled for release after it was recorded in December 1962 but the LP never came out, shades of 'Back to the Tracks'...

The session was originally issued in 1976 on a Freddie Hubbard twofer that also came out under the title 'Here To Stay' and which had this session plus the 'Hub Cap' session.

That's the first time I discovered this session- I have many of those brown manila-looking twofers. Andrew Hill, Freddie, Gil Evans et al. I loved those double LP sets.

does anyone know the circumstance of why it was delayed so long. why no early 60s issue? was it no good, or did freddie just do another date soon after he liked better? has anyone asked blue note about that?

Top of the list should be (...) And ZT's Blues!

Not half as good as it looks on paper, sorry to say.

I'd rather like to see Stanley's first one, "Look Out!", which I've never heard. Also the Minton's dates are great, but I guess I won't downgrade from regular CD to cactus...

ZT is good but not as good as one would expect, you're right. Still, it shouldn't be out of print. But Look Out is absolutely swell indeed. Good call!

And while I'm here: The Rajah and Far Away Lands need to be back on the racks...

Funny you should mention "The Rajah"! That's another one that gets a bad rep usually, but that one I like quite some! True about the Mobley, too... some of those old BN CDs have such an unfriendly sound that I hardly ever get them out of the shelf...

does anyone know the circumstance of why it was delayed so long. why no early 60s issue? was it no good, or did freddie just do another date soon after he liked better? has anyone asked blue note about that?

The liner notes for one of 'em, the 80's pressing I think, seemed to state that the title track is really the most successful track on the session...I can't tell is that is meant as a slight towards the other tracks or not? :huh:

Like many of the unissued Blue Notes, this is my favorite Hubbard albums.

'Assunta' has one of the greatest tenor solos in the Wayne Shorter discography.

Bertrand.

Wayne and Freddie are on fire throughout the entire cd.

Listen also to Wayne's solos on "Father and Son," and "Nostrand And Fulton."

I'd like to see Sam Rivers' A New Conception as a reissue. Might be nice while he's still alive, so that he could possibly reap a little cash from the release of another title. I LOVE the version of "That's All" from that session. Even though I have the Mosaic, it would be nice to have the individual cd.

Like many of the unissued Blue Notes, this is my favorite Hubbard albums.

'Assunta' has one of the greatest tenor solos in the Wayne Shorter discography.

Bertrand.

Wayne and Freddie are on fire throughout the entire cd.

Listen also to Wayne's solos on "Father and Son," and "Nostrand And Fulton."

You got THAT right, Conn.

Maybe that album should be a "Live Chat" disc one night.

(of course I only have a stone tablet version of it. :crazy: )

As I've said before, it really puzzles me that Here to Stay and Trompeta Toccata haven't been back since the Collectors Choice issues of yoren days. I think I am correct in saying that Here to Stay has not even been on CD in Japan. Why not? The other Freddie Hubbard Blue Notes seem to sell well, and HtoS is right up there with the best of them.

As I've said before, it really puzzles me that Here to Stay and Trompeta Toccata haven't been back since the Collectors Choice issues of yoren days. I think I am correct in saying that Here to Stay has not even been on CD in Japan. Why not? The other Freddie Hubbard Blue Notes seem to sell well, and HtoS is right up there with the best of them.

Here to Stay has been out in Japan as TOCJ 4135 in 1994. Long time ago :mellow:

....one of a mere handful of titles (Sonic Boom, Procrastinator, Street Singer, Jubilee Shout, The In Between? ) that appeared as TOCJs but didn't make the JRVG cut.

Guest akanalog

wahoo is an excellent album.

deserves to be out there....

good choice.

i always thought the typo on that disc as a CC choice was funny-

it was something like instead of "farewell, michelle", it was listed on the disc as "farewell, machine".

this always made me think of pearson lamenting a broken toaster or something.

That's right. I'm listening to it right now.

That's right. I'm listening to it right now.

d596153365k.jpg