Nathan Davis

Dave James

Davis is indeed from Kansas City, but, after a stint in Europe, took a job here at the University of Pittsburgh, where's he's taught for 35 years. At the time he took the job, his musician friends thought he was crazy - but now jazz musicians at colleges are fairly common. A pioneer! Rarely plays here in town - you're more likely to catch him in London or Brazil! His annual concert here is a highlight - this year it was Payton, Tolliver, Spaulding, Moody, Coryell, Rosness. I'm lukewarm on his records, but think he's playing better than ever.

:tup

Some of these criticisms of Davis are a little harsh, I think. Even on his earliest sides, he was playing, albeit not without a bit of unformed identit. And If is indeed a "commercial" effort, and not a particularly fine one, but I've certainly heard far worse from far better known players.

Some y'all make it sound like he's some kind of hack. No such thing!

• 2 months later...

Some of these criticisms of Davis are a little harsh, I think. Even on his earliest sides, he was playing, albeit not without a bit of unformed identit. And If is indeed a "commercial" effort, and not a particularly fine one, but I've certainly heard far worse from far better known players.

Some y'all make it sound like he's some kind of hack. No such thing!

As usual, I agree with you 100 per cent

• 5 months later...

A superb reissue of Nathan Davis rare album 'Peace Treaty' has just been reissued on 180-gram vinyl in France.

davis_natha_peacetrea_101b.jpg

A perfectly legal reissue which used the original stereo track from the session. The original was issued in mono sound back in 1965.

The sound is better than on the original! Not to speak of the of the hard to get CD reissue from 1990 on the French EPM label.

The vinyl is available from de Bastards! Also from Paris Jazz Corner!

A superb reissue of Nathan Davis rare album 'Peace Treaty' has just been reissued on 180-gram vinyl in France.

A perfectly legal reissue which used the original stereo track from the session. The original was issued in mono sound back in 1965.

The sound is better than on the original! Not to speak of the of the hard to get CD reissue from 1990 on the French EPM label.

Thanks for the prompt on that one Brownie. I have a bit of credit with PJC so might well go for a copy of this beauty !

Hey Steve,

Can you ask Nathan if he has any idea of the whereabouts of the tapes that he says that he recorded for Pather Marconi with Larry Young and Woody Shaw? This was in an interview on the web a few years back (probably All About Jazz).

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Here it is:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=16789

Edited by bertrand

• 15 years later...
On 11/8/2006 at 10:24 AM, brownie said:

I've been hemming and hawing about picking up this release not knowing much about Nathan Davis. Seeing it's available on Dusty Groove I might now pull the trigger. What do you think?  Nathan Davis : Peace Treaty (LP paper sleeve edition – with bonus tracks) (CD) -- Dusty Groove is Chicago's Online Record Store

1 hour ago, Tom 1960 said:

Thanks guys for the recommendation on Peace Treaty. A real nice session in excellent sound plus Woody Shaw!

Peace Treaty is a really nice date — and iirc, the two bonus tracks are good too (even sans Woody), and a nice inclusion. There’s no one ‘iconic’ standout track, but it all hangs together nicely.

Nathan sort of held up the release of that Larry Young Resonance album - most of the material on it was from his dates, he hired Young as a sideman. Eventually the label agreed to acknowledge this, which cleared the way. (Not that Resonance needed his permission, but at this point Nathan had established a relationship with Michael Cuscuna, so they hashed it out.)